Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Dec 15, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #1,426 of 2,480
  They already tried iPhone with iOS 7 and Onkyo HF Player, so far both INVICTA and HERUS were confirmed to work

https://twitter.com/resonessence/status/394863070633136129

http://resonessencelabs.com/dsd-on-iphone-with-herus/

How about Concero HD and HP? Sent them an e-mail but not really getting a reply.

There should be no reason why it can't work, but I assume you'd need a Y-USB cable to prevent the iPhone from complaining about current overrun... best to check with them though.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,428 of 2,480
This evening I am enjoying the virtues of the Apodizing up sampling filter with the Dire Straits: Best of Album. So far I've listened to most of my music using the IIR filter and preferred it to the apodizing filter, but this is the first album I enjoyed more on the latter.. The Concero has a lovely way of fleshing out the midrange (especially an added crispness to the leading notes of stringed instruments) and lovely connectedness from top to bottom. Lovely for guitar based music.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #1,429 of 2,480
  This evening I am enjoying the virtues of the Apodizing up sampling filter with the Dire Straits: Best of Album. So far I've listened to most of my music using the IIR filter and preferred it to the apodizing filter, but this is the first album I enjoyed more on the latter.. The Concero has a lovely way of fleshing out the midrange (especially an added crispness to the leading notes of stringed instruments) and lovely connectedness from top to bottom. Lovely for guitar based music.

Good Stuff man! LOL. I'm on Apodizing more than the IIR, but I do enjoy both filters and I'm glad Resonessence included both. What a bargain at this price to get two such great filters.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,430 of 2,480
I just received my Concero HD a couple of days ago and must say I am loving it.  The sound really seems to have improved within the first 8 hours of use and Mark said it will most likely continue to improve and break in for the first 100 hours.  I am also really glad they included both filters.

I find the IIR filter really improved the SQ on my Momentums, making them seem smoother and more detailed, yet still warm sounding. The Apodizing filter makes my Sony MDR-7520's much more musical.  I also prefer the Apodizing filter on my Kef M-500's and V-Moda M-100's.  I haven't tried my M4U2's as I usually only use these with their built in amp.

I'm loving this thing so far, and am very satisfied with the improved SQ of my portables.  I find I can listen at low volumes and the music is still very detailed and full sounding. 

The build quality is also outstanding, and being Canadian, I am happy to say that it is Made in Canada:)

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,431 of 2,480
  I just received my Concero HD a couple of days ago and must say I am loving it.  The sound really seems to have improved within the first 8 hours of use and Mark said it will most likely continue to improve and break in for the first 100 hours.  I am also really glad they included both filters.

I find the IIR filter really improved the SQ on my Momentums, making them seem smoother and more detailed, yet still warm sounding. The Apodizing filter makes my Sony MDR-7520's much more musical.  I also prefer the Apodizing filter on my Kef M-500's and V-Moda M-100's.  I haven't tried my M4U2's as I usually only use these with their built in amp.

I'm loving this thing so far, and am very satisfied with the improved SQ of my portables.  I find I can listen at low volumes and the music is still very detailed and full sounding. 

The build quality is also outstanding, and being Canadian, I am happy to say that it is Made in Canada:)

Hey Congrats on your new HD! I'm jealous. Yeah switching back and forth between filters is fun and figuring out which one works best with which headphone is nice too. So far for me, I'm doing IIR for my LCD-2 and Apodizing for the HE-500. Makes a difference for me and it's awesome.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #1,432 of 2,480
Congrats on your purchase! Great little unit and I'm sure you will enjoyed it a lot with added flexibility of those filters. Build quality is great, though the rubber feet have fallen off my unit and the carry bag is starting to disintegrate, though I guess those weren't made in Canada 
cool.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,433 of 2,480

Hey Congrats on your new HD! I'm jealous. Yeah switching back and forth between filters is fun and figuring out which one works best with which headphone is nice too. So far for me, I'm doing IIR for my LCD-2 and Apodizing for the HE-500. Makes a difference for me and it's awesome.

Thanks.  I only tried the Concero HP briefly with my HE-500's so far.  I do find that I have to turn the volume up quite a bit higher than with my portables though.  For the most part I will probably stick with my M-DAC and LYR for my HE-500's as I work out of town and my Concero will be coming with me.

How do you like your LCD-2's?  I've been wanting to get a pair of those for a couple of years now lol.  I should have ordered a pair a couple of weeks ago when Headphone Bar had them on sale, but I am hoping they will be on sale on boxing day.  Even if they aren't on sale I still might order a pair since the Canadian dollar seems to be dropping and they will increase the price accordingly.  I want something that is a little warmer sounding than the HE-500's, which I do love and will never get rid off, I just want a different sound sig. at times. 

I see you have some MDR-7520's as well.  I didn't really care for mine until getting the Concero.   Compared to straight out of my iPhone, Macbook, or Dragonfly the Concero is much better with them:)  

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,434 of 2,480
  Congrats on your purchase! Great little unit and I'm sure you will enjoyed it a lot with added flexibility of those filters. Build quality is great, though the rubber feet have fallen off my unit and the carry bag is starting to disintegrate, though I guess those weren't made in Canada 
cool.gif

Thanks.
Lol.  Those probably weren't made in Canada.  Have you tried super glueing the feet back on?  If the bag and feet falling off are the only things that I have to worry about I'm sure I'll be really happy with it as I am really enjoying the SQ right now.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,435 of 2,480
  Thanks.
Lol.  Those probably weren't made in Canada.  Have you tried super glueing the feet back on?  If the bag and feet falling off are the only things that I have to worry about I'm sure I'll be really happy with it as I am really enjoying the SQ right now.

Anyone got Canadian superglue? The oriental variety didn't help! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,437 of 2,480
Howdy!

I'm a recent convert to the Concero, having purchased the original model to replace my old audio-gd DAC3SE. I've included a photo showing the size/scale difference between these two DACs! The Concero is a great DAC, with a bit better detail retrieval than the DAC3SE, but not quite the same tonality. I rate it very highly indeed, especially given the incredibly small form-factor.

I'm using it with a Squeezebox Touch and I initially powered the Concero via the USB socket on the Touch. It seemed to perform fine, but the main downside for me was the need to physically unplug the USB socket from the DAC each time I wanted to switch it off. I leave my Touch powered on permanently, but in stand-by mode with the clock showing on the screen.

The cheapest 'decent' option that I found was the Teradak 9V PSU which now comes with a 5V USB output too. The PSU also includes a 5.5mm OD/2.1mm ID power cable, and a USB 'power-only' cable with data USB piggy-back capabilities (if that makes sense!). The cost was around $60 landed to Australia. I believe there is a slight improvement in bass definition and the noise floor with the Teradak PSU, but it's a closely-run race. It goes to show how decent the regulator stages are on the Concero!

Using the 'power-only' cable means that the Concero automatically reverts to SPDIF input mode, whereas when it was powered via the Touch, I needed to cycle through the input modes via the Apple remote as the Concero would revert to USB input mode each time.

One interesting point to note is that I tested the noise levels from this PSU, as well as a few switchmode USB PSUs including an Apple unit, and a generic unit.

The apple unit was around 80mV noise, and the generic unit was over 200mV! The Teradak noise levels were indistinguishable over background noise levels. I couldn't measure down to microvolt levels though. Sadly I didn't test the USB output of the SB Touch. I will do this in future.

Overall, I'm impressed with this power supply given the quality of the build, the included cables, and the very slight percieved improvement in sound quality. The addition of a switch to power the Concero up and down is also welcomed. :)

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,438 of 2,480
EDIT: Double-post... nothing to see here :wink:

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,439 of 2,480
My HD works with my NVIDIA SHIELD just fine... no external power supply needed.

I bought an O2 as a portable amp for mine and I'm awaiting it. Too "cheap" for the Concero HD? I needed something portable and relatively cheap as the Concero breaks the bank... 

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,440 of 2,480
  My HD works with my NVIDIA SHIELD just fine... no external power supply needed.

I bought an O2 as a portable amp for mine and I'm awaiting it. Too "cheap" for the Concero HD? I needed something portable and relatively cheap as the Concero breaks the bank... 

Wow, that's a fun little rig there. Make sure to play some Neo Geo games for me! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back