Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Dec 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #1,441 of 2,480
  My HD works with my NVIDIA SHIELD just fine... no external power supply needed.

I bought an O2 as a portable amp for mine and I'm awaiting it. Too "cheap" for the Concero HD? I needed something portable and relatively cheap as the Concero breaks the bank... 

Not sure how much you paid for the O2 amp, but I had really good results with the $119 Schiit Vali amp hooked up to a Concero HD.  driving HD600 and HE-500 headphones.
didn't have as wide soundstage or perhaps some low-bass clarity as my Lyr+Concero HD combo, but for $119 the Vali was really close!

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #1,442 of 2,480

Not sure how much you paid for the O2 amp, but I had really good results with the $119 Schiit Vali amp hooked up to a Concero HD.  driving HD600 and HE-500 headphones.
didn't have as wide soundstage or perhaps some low-bass clarity as my Lyr+Concero HD combo, but for $119 the Vali was really close!

I couldn't go with the Magni or Vali cause I needed something portable and battery powered. :/ I paid $130 for the O2 and $10 for the AC adapter. $850 DAC paired with a $100-ish amp seemed a little mismatched to me at first. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,443 of 2,480
  I couldn't go with the Magni or Vali cause I needed something portable and battery powered. :/ I paid $130 for the O2 and $10 for the AC adapter. $850 DAC paired with a $100-ish amp seemed a little mismatched to me at first. 

so the O2 amp is portable and battery powered?

anyhow, folks in the Vali thread do say it can easily match up with more expensive/resolving DACs.
in my case the Concero HD feeds my Lyr at home and it's a stellar set up.

really wished Resonessence had the HD and HP unit as a single "combo device", would have served more customers flexibility IMO.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #1,444 of 2,480
jexby, yes, it takes two rechargeable 9V batteries and charges with a small AC voltage. 

Quote:

Wow, that's a fun little rig there. Make sure to play some Neo Geo games for me! 

Yep, lol, I use it for emulators a lot. I am going to try my HTC One next but currently using the Nexus 5 which has no native USB audio support. 

Anyone use one of these apps before? I feel like this would be a good alternative than having to buy/carry around an Apple remote and my HTC One has an IR blaster anyway. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reinieday.appletvinfraredremotefree&hl=en

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,446 of 2,480
Maxvla and I were rightly impressed with the O2 at the last Dallas meet, and we're spoiled little monkeys. Implementations can vary (reputably this one was made with silver wire?) but what a great little performer. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,447 of 2,480
  Maxvla and I were rightly impressed with the O2 at the last Dallas meet, and we're spoiled little monkeys. Implementations can vary (reputably this one was made with silver wire?) but what a great little performer. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how to get this thing to remember the last upsampling filter after shutting off? It always goes back to no-resampling (blue LED) for me.

BTW it works with the Apple Remote emulator I posted above - the "back" button works as menu button and switches between filters. 

Also confirmed, works with my HTC One Google Play Edition on the latest version of Android…

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,450 of 2,480
  Does it have enough juice to power it? I know it works well with the HD800, but the LCD's usually benefit from a little more grunt. 

It should be pumping about 250mW into the LCD-3 (approximately 45 ohms). Which is a decent amount, though I agree it could stand to have more. I find the Concero HP works quite well with all my planars - Alpha Dogs, Thunderpants, LCD-2, HE-500. At the same time, I've heard them all sound better through more powerful (and larger/more expensive) amps. 

Since Kiont was coming from an ALO Pan Am I assume there's a size constraint involved. In that case, Concero HP is an excellent choice. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,451 of 2,480

It should be pumping about 250mW into the LCD-3 (approximately 45 ohms). Which is a decent amount, though I agree it could stand to have more. I find the Concero HP works quite well with all my planars - Alpha Dogs, Thunderpants, LCD-2, HE-500. At the same time, I've heard them all sound better through more powerful (and larger/more expensive) amps. 

Since Kiont was coming from an ALO Pan Am I assume there's a size constraint involved. In that case, Concero HP is an excellent choice. 

Exactly, and trying to keep it semi-portable as well.

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,452 of 2,480
  I find the Concero HP works quite well with all my planars - Alpha Dogs, Thunderpants, LCD-2, HE-500. At the same time, I've heard them all sound better through more powerful (and larger/more expensive) amps. 

Alpha Dogs + Concero HP... now there's a simple, solid, inexpensive, high-performing, isolated system for folks on the go. Hmmmm....

(eyes wallet, which stares back nervously)

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #1,453 of 2,480
  Exactly, and trying to keep it semi-portable as well.

In that case, I really can't think of anything better than Concero HP. Nice choice! 

Alpha Dogs + Concero HP... now there's a simple, solid, inexpensive, high-performing, isolated system for folks on the go. Hmmmm....

(eyes wallet, which stares back nervously)

I was using that very combo yesterday - with great results. Still getting to know the Alpha Dogs but I like what I hear thus far. I'd be a little nervous about those pretty cups in a transportable situation though.... 

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,454 of 2,480

really wished Resonessence had the HD and HP unit as a single "combo device", would have served more customers flexibility IMO.

Maybe they want you to upgrade to the Invicta if you want your cake and eat it too?

Problem is to me they're two different products, besides the fact that the Invicta costs $5K, you can't exactly lug the Invicta to work and use your IEMs with it.

Unless there exists a big segment of the market that's willing to buy both the HD and HP to have all the features, all this product-line differentiation is going to do is making both product less enticing vs the competition.

At $350, the Herus sits at a much easier to stomach price point for the loss of line-out, though I doubt the performance will be on par, early reports of hiss with IEMs are not very encouraging.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of performance the Geek Out dac/amp will end up having, right now there's just too much hype surrounding them for me to buy into it but if they end up quite close to what they're promising it just might be a real viable alternative to the HP.

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,455 of 2,480

Maybe they want you to upgrade to the Invicta if you want your cake and eat it too?

Problem is to me they're two different products, besides the fact that the Invicta costs $5K, you can't exactly lug the Invicta to work and use your IEMs with it.

Unless there exists a big segment of the market that's willing to buy both the HD and HP to have all the features, all this product-line differentiation is going to do is making both product less enticing vs the competition.

At $350, the Herus sits at a much easier to stomach price point for the loss of line-out, though I doubt the performance will be on par, early reports of hiss with IEMs are not very encouraging.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of performance the Geek Out dac/amp will end up having, right now there's just too much hype surrounding them for me to buy into it but if they end up quite close to what they're promising it just might be a real viable alternative to the HP.

I had an email  chat with Mr. Mallinson when I bought my Concero HD, he does understand that there is a market for a lower price Invicta all-in-one type product, if you are looking for such a product and you are happy with the Concero, I suggest you wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back