Reshell/New pair of customs..?
Mar 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LzaH

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi!

Just decided to create an account after many months of lurking.. Anyway, I have a few issues that I need advice on by the masters here
rolleyes.gif

So, I have a pair of JH11s that I have loved for a few months. Since I got them, the left piece has been having 'a bit' of a fit issue. At first, I thought very little of it as I felt that my Oto-ease could fix everything, which it did for awhile. However, it slowly developed into a very, VERY irritating problem after a few months (Imagine having to pull out that tiny bottle every time you want to use your customs). So now, I am thinking of sending it to UM for a reshell.

The problem is, I am afraid the sound signature would change a lot. So another alternative I thought up would be to give the customs to my dad to reshell (Since he won't mind the change much
tongue_smile.gif
) and save up for another pair of customs. I recently got a DBA-02 and I find that I love its sound a LOT, almost as much as my JH11s. So if anyone could recommend a custom with a similar sound signature to the DBA-02s I'd be very grateful (Maybe the Westone ES5?). Budget is not a problem since I have the will to save
etysmile.gif

So to summarize my questions:

1) Reshell JH11 or new custom?
2) If option 1 was chosen in 1), would the sound signature change a lot?
3) If option 2 was chosen in 1), which custom?

Thanks for your time!

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 3
I can't advise anything as I've never re-made another earphone from UM, but I am sure that there would be a change in sound signature, however large or small. I know that JHA tune each earphone for its ear, so there is bound to be changes. I also don't know if UM use the same crossovers. I've heard very good reports from other earphones from UM, but again, I've not heard the earphones themselves.

If you've only had your earphones for a few months, why not ask Jerry Harvey Audio if they will fix the issue for you? It may still be covered, and having them do it would ensure all the perfection you've come to love in the earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back