Replacing UE SuperFi 3 Studios: UE SF5 or UE700?
Apr 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

newscane

New Head-Fier
I bought a set of UE SuperFi Studio 3s about 4 years ago.  I've been very happy with them, but over the last 6 months, the cable connection for the left earphone has become very loose.  I tried the right cable in the left earphone, and it's still loose... so it's not a cable problem, it's an earphone problem.  I called Logitech/UE customer support, and they offered me the 50% off coupon for the next 30 days.  He suggested the SuperFi 5 or the UE 700.  Both list at $149, and with the fact that the 700 is a dual-armature, I'm inclined to go for those.  I don't like the fact that the "metal paint" peels off of the 700s with sweat, though.  

I have been using my SF3s  for general listening w/ my iPod, and for monitoring recordings at concerts (recording taper-friendly bands from my seat, earphones are plugged in to a Nomad JB3).  In the last six weeks or so, I've started running, and have been using them for that as well.  That's been where the loose cable issue is the biggest problem - it's tough to reinsert the cable while you're on a treadmill.

What's the best pick between these two?  Or, should I look elsewhere within the Logitech line, or go with something else entirely?  I like the price point of $75 (50% off either of those UE pairs).

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 18
I've not heard the Super.Fi 5s, just the Super.Fi 5 Pros.  The Super.Fi 5 Pros have a powerful bass, a strong high, and a bit of a recessed mid range.  They're great for electronica.  The UE700s sacrifice some of the lower end of the Super.Fi 5 Pros, but get a huge boost in the ergonomics category.  Some find the UE700s to be a bit harsh on the treble side, but this hasn't bothered me much.  I really like their discrete appearance and remarkably low microphonics.  They're so comfortable, you truly won't notice them after a bit.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks... I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 700s.  From what I can tell, these SuperFi 5s definitely are NOT the Pros... they're the "new" SuperFi 5.  There may be some better IEMs out there in the $150 range, but at half-off, I think it would be hard for me to beat this deal...

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 18
The UE700 is the better earphone without a doubt but signature-wise the SF5 is closer to the SF3, being slightly rolled-off in the bass and treble and a bit on the dull and warm side of things. Would not pay $75 for the 5 though.

The SF5Pro should not be available at this point as it's been discontinued for some time.

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
The UE700 is the better earphone without a doubt but signature-wise the SF5 is closer to the SF3, being slightly rolled-off in the bass and treble and a bit on the dull and warm side of things. Would not pay $75 for the 5 though.

The SF5Pro should not be available at this point as it's been discontinued for some time.

The only "seller" of the SF5Pro I see is a third-party seller on Amazon, offering it for $200.

Why do you say you wouldn't pay $75 for the SF5?

Quote:
are they requiring you to send in your old SF3's?

No.  They already gave me the coupon code, it's good for 30 days.

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:

Why do you say you wouldn't pay $75 for the SF5?

For the same reason I wouldn't quite pay the full $150 for the UE700 - better options out there for the money. For the SF5 it's the Brainwavz M2 (similarly mid-forward sound but way more musical and with better presence down low), Soundmagic PL50 (cheaper and arguably more accurate), and Meelec A151 (better bass and way better build quality). For the UE700 it's the Fischer Audio DBA-02/Brainwavz B2. The UE700 is IMO the worst tuning for the Knowles TWFK driver and should be priced accordingly, i.e. cheaper than all of the other earphones with the same driver (Phiaton PS200, q-JAYS, ATH-CK10, DBA-02, Brainwavz B2, etc).

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
For the same reason I wouldn't quite pay the full $150 for the UE700 - better options out there for the money. For the SF5 it's the Brainwavz M2 (similarly mid-forward sound but way more musical and with better presence down low), Soundmagic PL50 (cheaper and arguably more accurate), and Meelec A151 (better bass and way better build quality). For the UE700 it's the Fischer Audio DBA-02/Brainwavz B2. The UE700 is IMO the worst tuning for the Knowles TWFK driver and should be priced accordingly, i.e. cheaper than all of the other earphones with the same driver (Phiaton PS200, q-JAYS, ATH-CK10, DBA-02, Brainwavz B2, etc).

totally aggree, well maybe id suggest the M1 over the M2 in place of the SF5 but hey ho.

just for the SF5 or UE700 though id say the SF5, its more long term livable

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:

thank you for your advice, it's made my decision more complicated :)  In the $75 range, I'm taking a close look at the Brainwavz M2 & the Meelec A151.  I don't know if I can afford to go up to the $150 range right now.  Putting it this way, am I wrong going with the UE700 for $75 vs the Brainwavz or the Meelec?

Quote:
totally aggree, well maybe id suggest the M1 over the M2 in place of the SF5 but hey ho.

just for the SF5 or UE700 though id say the SF5, its more long term livable

Would that hold true for the new SF5 as well?

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 18
The UE700 is still the better earphone at $75 but those who are sensitive to treble will absolutely hate it. It is brighter than all of the other TWFK-based earphones except maybe the Phiaton PS200. The SF5, A151, PL50, Brainwavz M1/M2 are all more universally likable which I think is the point mark was trying to make. 

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 18
Apr 17, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 18
@newscane you'll notice there is a lot of hate for UE. i think a lot of it has to do with how Logitech has been trying to make them mainstream. Nonetheless i still love their signature. the SF5 vi's are some of my favorite and i would totally spring on that UE700 deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back