Replacing PX100 for portable/outdoor use (budget $100)
Dec 7, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #16 of 20
dont get the akg k26p anymore. i got it, and apparently they made two batches, and the newer batch is defective. the sq is muddy and the bass is overdone. it wouldnt be better than your px100s

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #17 of 20
Nepenthe, that IS a great price. Unfortunately, it's not from Amazon itself but from Sixth Ave Electronics advertising on amazon. They have a very mixed reputation, apparently:

Sixth Avenue Electronics / 6th Ave Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

SOVKILLER, I'm looking for recommendations based on the needs of my original post. I don't want to look for PX100 equivalents, or IEMS, or party hats with integrated headphones
biggrin.gif
Just good, portable phones under $110.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SOVKILLER, I'm looking for recommendations based on the needs of my original post. I don't want to look for PX100 equivalents, or IEMS, or party hats with integrated headphones
biggrin.gif
Just good, portable phones under $110.

I think that we all have different perspectives of what a portable headphone should be, sorry i was suggesting what I consider portable, as for me something bigger than a portapro or an IEM is not, the Grado for example, one ofthe ones you mentioned is IMO a full sized heaodhone, same as others mentioned here, I do not see myself walking around with those, that is why I'm suggesting heapdhones that besides the size, are also modarate in price...

BTW we have today IEM that will rival and better any of the above mentioned by a good margin...if you wanna gi full size, the for example i would consider the V6 or the HD595, that will not require an amp, and will work straight out of any jack...

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #19 of 20
sovkiller, I appreciate your input, but iems just aren't appropriate for my portable needs. I don't want to deal with the issue of getting the earbuds dirty (I make deliveries and would have to remove and reinsert iems every 20-30 minutes, all day long) and don't want to deal with periodically replacing earbuds. Not for this purchase.

As for your latest recommendation, AGAIN, please consider my budget.

I'll summarize again:

* $100-$110 price, tops
* new phones -- will order within two days
* portable: preferably foldable/collapsible
* Comfort important. Will wear for 3-5 hours a day on street.
* Music: Podcasts, audiobooks and rock. (Mostly podcasts)
* Don't mind sealed phones, especially for winter use.

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #20 of 20
I have a few portables in my stable and I can comment on a few of them.

KSC-75 - sound great for the price but they can be a pain to take on and off.

Ultrasone HFI-15G - Best sounding of the group (they sound VERY similar to the SR-80) and the most comfortable, but they have a longer and thicker cord that makes them better for laptop use rather than portable DAP use. Not enough head clamp (they move around during activity).

iCans - Sound very nice with an emphasis on highs and are very comfortable but they slide around on your head easily. The headband is unpadded and can rub the top of your head.

PortaPros - easily foldable and sound decent (gradoish sound with bass that's a bit bloated) but they feel cheap and the metal headband is razor sharp and can pull out hairs or catch your finger if you're not focused on what you're doing.

iGrados - Many people prefer the sound of these to the SR-60s (a bit more bass and energy compared to the SR-60s) and they are very durable and comfortable but they take a couple of weeks to become comfortable. The street style headband isn't for some people...they aren't as comfortable as the PX100s when they're resting around your neck.

AT ES7 - These sound decent and have a very nice finish but they can become a little uncomfortable after and hour or so (because of clamp) and the pleather earpads can make you sweat, but they might be good for winter use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back