Replacing PX100 for portable/outdoor use (budget $100)
Dec 6, 2007 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jumpka

New Head-Fier
I need to immediately replace my old Sennheiser PX100 headphones which broke yesterday. Budget around US $100.

I will be using the headphones exclusively for commuting and walking around noisy city streets with my iPod Nano. I prefer something foldable or collapsable, and something that *will* sound better than the Sennheiser PX100s they're replacing (considering I'm willing to spend almost three times what I spent on the Senns).

Music: rock, podcasts and audiobooks.

I don't mind sealed cans, especially in cold weather.

The headphones I am considering:

AKG K 26 P ($45)
Beyer DT 231 ($60)
Grado SR 60 ($70)

Anything (a) better-sounding and (b) still small(ish) and portable, for this price .... or up to $100 ?

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 20
Thanks.

Like I said, I am giving myself a bigger budget for these replacements. I don't think the Portapros are going to be demonstrably better than the PX100 I had.

Sealed is fine, as long as they aren't too big/dorky/heavy and I can commute and walk around with them without difficulty while driving an iPod....

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons look good but I have to buy something for myself by this weekend, so I can't look around for used cans right now. And $150 new is over my budget.

Too bad you can't wait for shipping, a certain site named after a large jungle and river or a very tall warrior woman has them for under $98 including free shipping and no tax. They're good, but then so are PX100s.

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nepenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad you can't wait for shipping, a certain site named after a large jungle and river or a very tall warrior woman has them for under $98 including free shipping and no tax. They're good, but then so are PX100s.

The Denons? Are you sure? I visited that jungleriversite
tongue.gif
and only see them (AH-D1000K and DNHP1000 models) for $147 (plus free shipping). Searching the deal/pricing sites I don't see the Denons anywhere near $100.

And yes, I can wait for shipping, I just want to order my headphones by the weekend, that's all.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Thanks.

Like I said, I am giving myself a bigger budget for these replacements. I don't think the Portapros are going to be demonstrably better than the PX100 I had.

The Portapros are cheap very nice sounding headphones, and lifetime warranty make them a real battle horse for portable/outdoor use...I like them better than the PX100...BTW the PX100 is around the same price in Amazon...

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Okay, but for my *budget* -- going up to $100 (okay $110), what are my best choices?

Have you ever consider the IEM...???

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

The Denons? Are you sure? I visited that jungleriversite
tongue.gif
and only see them (AH-D1000K and DNHP1000 models) for $147 (plus free shipping). Searching the deal/pricing sites I don't see the Denons anywhere near $100.

And yes, I can wait for shipping, I just want to order my headphones by the weekend, that's all.

Absolutely sure, looking at it right now on that site. Search for this: Denon AH-D1000K.

Then click on Click to see price. $97.77 and I tested it by almost completing an order to make sure there was no shipping charge. There isn't.
cool.gif

It's a good deal, they're very comfy, decently made, nice-sounding, easy to drive, attractive, and now not too pricey...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back