Replacing Grado SR225i... Help!
Nov 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ARStewart

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I've been a long-time Head-Fi lurker but I finally decided to register tonight.

I know that these threads are common, but I could really use some guidance. I currently own a set of Grado SR225i headphones, which I have used constantly for 3 years. As much as I love them, they are falling apart and I am ready to buy my second pair of high-end phones. However, I have no way of demoing any of the ones that I am interested in. Given the subjectivity of sound preference, I'm hoping that you experienced folks can help me out since I'm not really sure what to seriously consider.

My current setup is: Macbook > iBasso Cobra D10 (via Optical) > Grado SR225i

I would say that half of my music is FLAC and half is 320 kbps. I listen to a wide range of music but a large portion of it is experimental indie (Sufjan Stevens, Anathallo, etc.), folk (Marissa Nadler, Bon Iver, Beirut), shoegaze/post-rock/math-rock, and some electronic music (Four Tet, Flying Lotus, M83).

I am looking for some headphones that fit the following criteria:
* Very detailed but not sterile or harsh
* Relaxed bass that is present but not overpowering (an issue I have found with many headphones that I have tried)
* Not necessarily neutral; I don't mind a bit of tonal coloring at all
* Comfortable (my Grados are very uncomfortable in my opinion)
* Warm without sounding muddy or undefined
* Budget of $500 or less

Originally I was set on purchasing the AKG K701 or K702s. However, I have been doubting my choice lately since reading several "love it or hate it" reviews. I'm worried that they might be too reserved or sterile for my taste. Right now I am most interested in the Sennheiser HD650 or Denon D5000 headphones (possibly buying used if necessary). Based on what I have read, it seems like the 650s will be great for what I am looking for, but the Denons seem to have a likable, "fun" coloration that many enjoy (although I have read that they can be muddy as well). I know almost nothing about the Beyer DT series, although I am not opposed to them.

So, given all this information, can anyone recommend which pair I should most seriously consider and for what reasons? Also, would the iBasso amp be able to power the Senns or Denons?

Thanks so much everyone! I look forward to becoming more involved in the HF community :)

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 8
The GradoLab website http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm lists five dealers in San Diego.  Here's an opportunity to compare Grado phones and who knows, one or more of these dealers might have other brands as well.  Why not dial them up?  BTW, I have 325is with G-Cush and they are quite comfortable, otherwise, I wouldn't have bought Grados.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 8
the hd650 will be too dark and therefore boring for you; the denon's bass will over power the midrange (very recessed midrange).
If you are into rock, continue with grado line and move up to Grado RS1i.   Another option is the ATH-AD2000.  They are both in the $500 range if get them used. 

Quote:
Hello everyone! I've been a long-time Head-Fi lurker but I finally decided to register tonight.

I know that these threads are common, but I could really use some guidance. I currently own a set of Grado SR225i headphones, which I have used constantly for 3 years. As much as I love them, they are falling apart and I am ready to buy my second pair of high-end phones. However, I have no way of demoing any of the ones that I am interested in. Given the subjectivity of sound preference, I'm hoping that you experienced folks can help me out since I'm not really sure what to seriously consider.

My current setup is: Macbook > iBasso Cobra D10 (via Optical) > Grado SR225i

I would say that half of my music is FLAC and half is 320 kbps. I listen to a wide range of music but a large portion of it is experimental indie (Sufjan Stevens, Anathallo, etc.), folk (Marissa Nadler, Bon Iver, Beirut), shoegaze/post-rock/math-rock, and some electronic music (Four Tet, Flying Lotus, M83).

I am looking for some headphones that fit the following criteria:
* Very detailed but not sterile or harsh
* Relaxed bass that is present but not overpowering (an issue I have found with many headphones that I have tried)
* Not necessarily neutral; I don't mind a bit of tonal coloring at all
* Comfortable (my Grados are very uncomfortable in my opinion)
* Warm without sounding muddy or undefined
* Budget of $500 or less

Originally I was set on purchasing the AKG K701 or K702s. However, I have been doubting my choice lately since reading several "love it or hate it" reviews. I'm worried that they might be too reserved or sterile for my taste. Right now I am most interested in the Sennheiser HD650 or Denon D5000 headphones (possibly buying used if necessary). Based on what I have read, it seems like the 650s will be great for what I am looking for, but the Denons seem to have a likable, "fun" coloration that many enjoy (although I have read that they can be muddy as well). I know almost nothing about the Beyer DT series, although I am not opposed to them.

So, given all this information, can anyone recommend which pair I should most seriously consider and for what reasons? Also, would the iBasso amp be able to power the Senns or Denons?

Thanks so much everyone! I look forward to becoming more involved in the HF community :)

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Thank you both for your replies! Unfortunately, I live in Arkansas during the school year so I cannot go to the San Diego dealers to test out other brands or models. I will definitely be shopping around San Diego when I go home in December.

I had not considered the AD2000 and I will be sure to look into them. How would they compare to the HD650s or D5000?

Also, while I enjoy the lively and upfront "rockiness" of the Grados, I would not say that I listen to a large amount of rock music relative to other genres. Most of the music that I listen to features clean instruments and natural reverb, for example, rather than distorted guitars and close-mic'd equipment. The music that I most enjoy listening to can be best summed up by the following two songs:

Anathallo: The River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yTlfWv_Mb0

Sufjan Stevens: Too Much
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0g7R3xqdcM

I hope that this helps! Also, if it were strictly between the K701/K702, HD650, or D5000 which headphones would you recommend based on my preferences? Thanks everyone!

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Why not go with the HD600. There is a reason why the HD580/600 SR225 was a popular combo. They compliment each other very well. The HD600 will not be "as" dependant on gear as the 650 and it's more lively by most accounts.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Thank you! That's exactly the kind of information that I need. Would the iBasso D10 be able to power the HD600s?

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Hello everyone!

Having read up on several different models in different price ranges, I think that I may have narrowed down my choices. I would appreciate any feedback on the following headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT990: I have read that these are a good alternative for those who like the detail and clarity of the K701s but need a bit more bass response. Seems a lot like what I'm looking for.

Denon AH-D5000: Still interested, seem like a nice compliment to the Grados and apparently are not particularly reliant on amp sources.

Sennheiser HD650: I got to listen to them this morning. They were played without an amp, yet they still sounded fantastic. Great bass response and detail. Very different than my Grados but I liked them a lot.

Thanks again everyone! I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back