Replacements for HD495, under $150
Sep 16, 2010 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

orlyandico

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a really old (10-year old) HD495 which I've been pretty happy with, haven't even gotten around to amping it. But it has lost all of its padding.  Given that I'll mostly be listening to VBR MP3 from an ipod touch, what would be a suitable replacement/upgrade in a similar price range?

But how much difference will I really hear? I'm not much of an audiophile and my HD495 beats the heck out of all my other stuff (which gives an idea of how mediocre my other stuff is  :wink:   Also I am not looking to spend that much on amping, e.g. a Fiio E1 or E7 would be it.

Thanks!

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Senn's HD448 or HD428 (different cables and designs, same sound). I have no idea what a HD495 sounds like or what you listen to, but you could just take one of the above and never return to head-fi.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 15
hi 1Time,

Thanks for the welcome.

I did a bit more research and it seems the HD555 would be a good bet (HD595 drivers in cheaper case). The HD495 is pretty similar to the HD497 in fact I think they are the same, and the 555 is supposed to be loads better.

My other question then is, HD555 or Grado SR80i? they cost about the same although I've heard so much about the discomfort of the Grados. The Audio-Technica M50 also is well-recommended albeit at a slightly higher price than these first two.

To answer your other questions.. source is gonna be an iPod Touch (I know, I know..) although at some point I may want to amp it. Music.. mostly female vocals. I'm not much into rock although I do listen to some classical now and then.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 15
Hi 1Time,

I mostly listen to stuff like Susan Enan, Sarah Mclachlan... (you probably get the picture). I'm not really educated about audio - I have put together a couple GainClones and am using a TriPath amp right now.. but that's more because I'm an electronics geek.

I can tell the difference between a 128kbps and a 320kbps MP3, and when I got an HD201 for my gaming, I was amazed at how bad-sounding it was compared to my old 495 (which cost 5X as much). No surprises there.

What I am looking for is.. a replacement for my HD495 that's circum-aural instead of supra-aural and comfy (I guess that rules out the SR80i) which has "decent" sound. What decent is, I can't really say. I guess I am looking for the Toyota Camry of headphones, ha ha.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 15
I'll tell you right now that the HD-555 is way better then the 497. Night and day difference. I have both and there is just no comparison. It would most definitely be an upgrade. I guarantee it.

The 497s are my most pathetic headphones in my collection and that's not saying they're bad at all, just that I don't like them much compared to everything else. Well not as bad as my $99 Sony Noise Canceling headphones, but close!

I use the 497s still for listening to TV in a spare bedroom at night. They're small and get the job done.

I think you'll like the 555s. They will sound fine out of the Ipod Touch. That's what I use. The Ipod Touch is a fine source in my opinion as long as you use 320kbps mp3, WAV or Apple Lossless.

Grado SR-80 would only be worth getting if you think you can stand the design. I have issues with them, but they sound good, but it took me about 3 years to figure that out and get them to fit right. I had to bend them so much to the point where I could have almost broken them! Now they fit just fine! They are also really bright and something a bit fatiguing to me.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 15
Ah. Ok that's a good addition to my vocabulary. "Bright." I've heard earphones like that (my Audio-Technica low-end IEM's are like that, for example) and you're right, it can get fatiguing. So I don't like bright.  :)

Funny thing is, in 2002 the HD495/497 was rated by Headwize as their best headphones under $80.. go figure (tied with the SR60).

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 15
If you don't mind a lot of bass, the M50s are really good and sound maybe a tad better to me then the HD-555s. If you don't like a lot of bass, then I'd skip the M50s.
The comfort on the HD-555's can't be beat. As you know probably, they're open and would also be good for games and movies also. The M50s would probably not be as good in that area.
The 555's are just more neutral and possibly not as "fun". Can't go wrong with either one. I myself might give up a very tiny amount of sound quality to get a more comfortable headphone. I could probably wear the HD-555 all day.

I think on Ebay you can get the M50's for $98 or so. I just read a post the other day about the 555's being $75 on sale or something.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 15
After reading the very long review here..
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-47-portable-headphones-compared-maxell-dhp-ii-added-08-30

I'm pretty much decided to get the Beyerdynamic DT235's. They are a much cheaper class of phones, I will admit ($55) but at that price I'm willing to gamble and see if they're any better than my 495s.

They will be more comfortable since my 495s don't have foam (I actually used cut-out 3M dishwashing sponge as ear padding... don't laugh! I did cut out a coin-sized hole in the middle of the sponge).

Given my not-very-educated audio tastes, I think the DT235's will keep me happy. If not.. well I can wait for the HD558 I guess.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Irrelevant, but the 495s have this cloth sock-like thing with a plastic ring on it that snaps to the phones. I put the shaped dish-washing sponge inside of that sock-like thing, so they snap in like the OEM pads. Ghetto, yes, but it doesn't look too bad..

Still, I do have some dignity, hehehe. Will go get some DT235's tomorrow (it's 1 in the morning here).

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 15
The HD495's are/were nice cans. As I recall, they do require amping to sound considerably better. Anything better will also require an amp to sound better, so that additional cost is fixed either way.

I recommend you simply get a set of replacement 495 pads from Sennheiser, and pick up a Headroom Airhead to boost your signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back