Replacement ear pads for AudioTechnica ATH-A900 headphones
Sep 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

OakIris

1000+ Head-Fier
I know this topic has been discussed before here at head-fi but I am looking for some current recommendations for replacement ear pads for my ATH-A900 headphones.  These headphones are about 6 years old and the cheap pleather ear pads are finally falling apart - well, the pleather is tearing and disintegrating, but the foam is still fine. 
tongue.gif
  I really don't want to replace them with another set of the same cheap A900 pleather ear pads...

I have read that the ear pads can be replaced with the rather pricey ATH-W5000 leather ear pads or with the not quite so expensive ATH-W1000 leather ear pads.  For those that have done this, can you perhaps describe what changes, if any, these ear pads made to the sound of the headphones?

I read in one thread that replacing the ear pads with the W5000 ear pads seemed to improve the bass, while in another, which was about replacing the pads on a pair of ATH-A950LTD headphones with the W5000 pads, Elephas said that he felt it made the sound "a bit more forward-sounding and more full-bodied" because the W5000 pads are thinner and place the drivers closer to your ears.

I haven't found anything about what effect the W1000 ear pads have on the sound.  (I actually have a pair of W1000s so I could try this for myself, but don't want to end up some how damaging the W1000 pads when removing them and then having to replace two sets of ear pads, which I certainly can't afford right now!)

I would appreciate any constructive input. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back