Replaced my TF10's with W4R's and I 'might' not be in love :shrug:
Oct 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lwells

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

My TF10's with a lune cable were destroyed a year ago.  I finally got around to replacing them.  I decided on the Westone 4R's.  Unfortunately I can only compare them to my memory of the TF10's.  I remember the TF10's being much more engaging and detailed.  Is there anything I can do to bring these characteristics out more in the W4R's?  

My sources are an iPhone 5 and a sansa clip.

Kind Regards,

Luke

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 5
I started using my TF10s one week ago, they were just sitting around for over a year. I've been really enjoying them.

Apart from alternative cables or portable amps, not sure there is much you can do.

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 5
I wouldn't be opposed to cables and an amp. What would be an appropriate amp to bring me closer to the sound I'm familiar with? Something in Ray Samuel's lineup?

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 5
I wouldn't be opposed to cables and an amp. What would be an appropriate amp to bring me closer to the sound I'm familiar with? Something in Ray Samuel's lineup?

ive owned the tf10 and own the w4r now.

i would say that as far as amp wise goes, the jds labs c421 or jds labs c5 is good for the w4r. also the alo audio mk2 has excellent transparency and bass slam and impact.

the tf10 is more of a v shape sound signature where as the w4r is a more neutral sounding iem, no one frequency is emphasized more than another.

with a amp and cable, you can change that. but you really want a amp that is transparent and doesnt color the sound so much, the w4r really come to life with a amp ive used the jds labs c421,jds labs c5,alo audio mk2,ibasso p4 warbler,ibasso pb2 pelican and the RSA sr-71b With the w4r,,,obvioulsy all the amps have a different sound signature but the w4r sounds great with all the amps.

as far as cables with the w4r i recomend some kind of pure silver cable. the w4r and the silver has great synergy.

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Mooses9, I'm going to take your recommendation on one of those amps. A silver cable made a nice improvement to my tf10s as well.

Edit... I ordered a cable from Ted today.

Edit2... After listening for a couple days these headphones have shown me something about myself. I think that I naturally select a volume level based on the mids. As a result of the forward mids, relative to the tf10s, I find myself selecting a much lower volume level with the W4r than I would with the tf10s. I found that interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back