Replaceable Cables in lower-priced IEM's?
Jan 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FatDragon

New Head-Fier
Searching through the forums here came up with a ton of irrelevant or marginally-relevant results and I don't have the time to comb through them all, so I'm going to ask the question at the risk that it's been answered before:

I'm looking for a low- to mid-range IEM, probably topping out at $150 with sub-$100 a strong preference, that has replaceable or very sturdy cables. I have broken far too many headphone cables myself on my bike or just sitting in my pocket, and my cats are pretty bad about it as well, so I'd strongly prefer something I could replace if it broke rather than trashing the whole unit.

So what's out there? I saw the Shure SE215 and the Sleek Audio SA1 seem to potentially fit the bill. Anyone have any other recommendations? Very durable cables would be acceptable, but replaceable is preferred for the current query. I'd be using them mostly on my bike, so some noise isolation would be nice, but too much could cause me to end up as a pancake. Good sound is nice, but my MP3 player and my music collection are not super-high-end (cheap Philips GoGear Spark, 128 bitrate MP3 and WMA tracks), so I'm not looking for something outrageous, just decent - and coming from mostly $20-30 earbuds, I'm sure anything nicer will sound excellent. Finally, I listen to a range of music from Led Zeppelin to Iron and Wine to Sigur Ros to Kanye West, so something balanced with decent-but-not-overwhelming bass would be good.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 5
The Sony EX600 are highly recommended because they offers great soundquality and wide soundstage with deep punchy bass. The others IEMs with replaceable cable are like HJE900, UETF10Pro.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
The Sony EX600 are highly recommended because they offers great soundquality and wide soundstage with deep punchy bass. The others IEMs with replaceable cable are like HJE900, UETF10Pro.

The UETF10Pro sounds pretty appealing, but I live in China and the cheapest I can find them is over twice the price of the SE215's - replacement cables cost as much as a new pair of SE215's here. The EX600's are even more expensive, and the HJE900's are in the same price range. Am I right in suspecting that SE215 and SA1 are pretty much all I'm going to find in the ~$100 range with replaceable cables?

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
The UETF10Pro sounds pretty appealing, but I live in China and the cheapest I can find them is over twice the price of the SE215's - replacement cables cost as much as a new pair of SE215's here. The EX600's are even more expensive, and the HJE900's are in the same price range. Am I right in suspecting that SE215 and SA1 are pretty much all I'm going to find in the ~$100 range with replaceable cables?

well....its not just in China, it the TF10s usually costs 2X more than the Shures 215s

the 215=100 bucks
the TF10s=200bucks

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:

well....its not just in China, it the TF10s usually costs 2X more than the Shures 215s

the 215=100 bucks
the TF10s=200bucks

They're going new for $145 on Amazon.com, about $60 less than the price here, while the Shures bottom out at $92 on Amazon which is almost identical to what I would pay here. That was the only US$ place I checked, but it's usually a pretty good representative price for most items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back