Removing the foam from HD600
Dec 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #106 of 112
I just found out another foam mod for the HD600

Basically u remove the tiny piece of foam that is above the outside part of the driver!

See a description here:

http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

the upper registry opens a bit.The sound of bass seems to me less congested and has a more natural sound.A little more speed on transients.
Before removing the foams on the outside of the drivers i've listened 2 times to a song i'm extreme familiar with.And i've done the comparison listening to the same song

Before you try this u should know though, that its hard to put the foam pieces back on.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #107 of 112

Quote:
I just found out another foam mod for the HD600

Basically u remove the tiny piece of foam that is above the outside part of the driver!

See a description here:

http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

the upper registry opens a bit.The sound of bass seems to me less congested and has a more natural sound.A little more speed on transients.
Before removing the foams on the outside of the drivers i've listened 2 times to a song i'm extreme familiar with.And i've done the comparison listening to the same song

Before you try this u should know though, that its hard to put the foam pieces back on.

just tried the classic foam mod incl. the outer-little-foam-mod from apuresound as well...(w/ original cable, otherwise A/Bing would be insufficient..)

the curtain lifts its face, sounds not so muffled/veiled as before: bass has more accuracy/defintion but loses the senn-typical (HD56x/6xx) roll off and dominance, treble is clearer, cleaner, and more realistic, same with the middle, very realistic, but even: i would tell it are the middles which are the "weak part" within this mod, not the bass...because they sound so much more lively than the rest - got it?-) everything else is just not as good as these natural middles!!
1st, i think now i can separate the instruments better, especially with complex sounds as classical works...2nd, sounds more neutral, and even reference-like, because the frequencies are somehow averaged and voices are centered more. tends to sound a fad more like a grado hp, as mentioned in this thread earlier...

what questions me right now, if the superb soundstage of HD600 improves or downgrades w/ this mod..? the separation is easier with the mod, but somehow the instruments are played like "apart" from each other, but closer (e.g. like in a smaller room), which is usually a good sign for reference hp's - but: OTOH i am missing the overall congested sound of the original senns which keeps the record "together" and opens this incredible room in front of me...hmm time will tell, maybe i have to adapt first...

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #108 of 112
Before this mod I thought the HD600's was a really great phone but the stereoimage was too narrow and blurry for picking out the tiny details. Now after I have done this mod the whole headphone came alive! so to speak. It like took the curtain off of the music. It is so realistic and i actually heard details i have never heard before on tracks. The imaging became way better in a way because everything feels like its there. I put streched out some stocking material o replace the thick foam and its really good. Only negative for this mod is the lack of low end impact and precense.

May 6, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #109 of 112
Before this mod I thought the HD600's was a really great phone but the stereoimage was too narrow and blurry for picking out the tiny details. Now after I have done this mod the whole headphone came alive! so to speak. It like took the curtain off of the music. It is so realistic and i actually heard details i have never heard before on tracks. The imaging became way better in a way because everything feels like its there. I put streched out some stocking material o replace the thick foam and its really good. Only negative for this mod is the lack of low end impact and precense.

I know this is an old discussion, but I just happened to find it. In fact I found it at the right moment.

I loooveee my hd600. I have had them for a number of years already. But honestly, some times due to its shortcomings, I have become bored of the sound and I have tried to replace it with a different pair of headphones many times (hd650, AKG 701 original, AKG Q701, AKG 712, hifiman he500, hifiman he400i, MrSpeakers ether and Audece LCD3) All these headphones do some things better that the hd600, but I was always missing the beautiful tone that I love about the senns.

I have sold all those headphones, but the LCD 3. I even listened to the hd800, never owed it, but I didn't like it.

My favorite headphones are the Audeze LCD 3 and sennheiser hd600. The hd 600 are great, but I always thought I was missing something.

Lol, this is ironic, instead of missing, the hd600 had something extra that shouldn't be there, the foam, haha.

I really thought about removing it , but I never tried. This is such a simple mod and it brought to my ear what I was missing all this time. The hd600 now seams faster, the bass is tighter, the imagining is better, the treble extends more. Wow this is fantastic. There isn't a huge difference, don't get me wrong. But it didn't need a huge difference to sound better. It need just a little extra and I achieved it just removing the foams. I feel stupid not having done this years ago.

Any way, one of my 2 favorite headphones just became better.

HD600, I know I have cheated on you many times, but you'll always be with me, hahaha. Seriously, very happy with the mod.

May 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #110 of 112
I know this is an old discussion, but I just happened to find it. In fact I found it at the right moment.

I loooveee my hd600. I have had them for a number of years already. But honestly, some times due to its shortcomings, I have become bored of the sound and I have tried to replace it with a different pair of headphones many times (hd650, AKG 701 original, AKG Q701, AKG 712, hifiman he500, hifiman he400i, MrSpeakers ether and Audece LCD3) All these headphones do some things better that the hd600, but I was always missing the beautiful tone that I love about the senns.

I have sold all those headphones, but the LCD 3. I even listened to the hd800, never owed it, but I didn't like it.

My favorite headphones are the Audeze LCD 3 and sennheiser hd600. The hd 600 are great, but I always thought I was missing something.

Lol, this is ironic, instead of missing, the hd600 had something extra that shouldn't be there, the foam, haha.

I really thought about removing it , but I never tried. This is such a simple mod and it brought to my ear what I was missing all this time. The hd600 now seams faster, the bass is tighter, the imagining is better, the treble extends more. Wow this is fantastic. There isn't a huge difference, don't get me wrong. But it didn't need a huge difference to sound better. It need just a little extra and I achieved it just removing the foams. I feel stupid not having done this years ago.

HD600, I know I have cheated on you many times, but you'll always be with me, hahaha. Seriously, very happy with the mod.

Very glad you liked it. To me it just made the headphone sound alive and more physical sounding, everything is just real.
That's funny how so many headphones you have tried and yet the HD600 holds its own...

I have a Ether C on my way to company my 600's. I tried the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs to replace my HD600's but no...
Speed and detail were better, but the tonality on the 600's cannot be beaten. Not under 2k...

May 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #111 of 112
Very glad you liked it. To me it just made the headphone sound alive and more physical sounding, everything is just real.

That's funny how so many headphones you have tried and yet the HD600 holds its own...

I have a Ether C on my way to company my 600's. I tried the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs to replace my HD600's but no...

Speed and detail were better, but the tonality on the 600's cannot be beaten. Not under 2k...

Great, I hope you enjoy the ether C. I've heard very good comments.

I use my hd 600 at home with s woo wa22 amp. I bought this $2k amp to drive my $2k LCD 3. I was extremely surprised when I heard the hd600 with this monster amp. The hd600 is connected via balanced xlr. A $2k amp may sound over kill for a $300 headphone, but the hd600 scales tremendously with better equipment.

Any way. happy with this simple mode. I have the feeling of listening to new headphones, but really listening to my old hd600 that now sound better than ever. Thanks and happy Friday:)

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #112 of 112

Agree. The HD 600s are amazing and also the LCD 3s. You should also have a look on the HD 800S. They are like a 650 + 800, you will like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back