Removing and cleaning earpads of the hd800.
Oct 6, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

hawat

500+ Head-Fier
I have tried to just remove the earpads of the hd800 the same way I did with the hd650 for regular cleaning but the pads on the hd800 don't seem to be removable that way without damaging them.
Does anyone know how to remove the earpads of the hd800 safely?

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 28
Nobody has tried removing their earpads?
From what I can see it seems that there is a black plastic base for the microfiber fabric I wonder if I should pull on that plastic base or try to remove the fabric from that base.
If it is the same as for the hd650 earpads where the plastic base is attached to the velour then the base should go with the earpads if pulled from the headphone.
If not the same as the hd650 and the plastic base is not attached to the fabric then pulling the base directly would probably brake the headphone
confused.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 28
Doesn't it say something about it in the papers which came with the headphones? I think I read something about it, I think it was in those papers. They are on my head, and I am too lazy to check it at the moment though...

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 28
No, unfortunately in the manual it just says how to remove the inside covers/filter ( not sure about the name ), not the whole earpad.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried to just remove the earpads of the hd800 the same way I did with the hd650 for regular cleaning but the pads on the hd800 don't seem to be removable that way without damaging them.
Does anyone know how to remove the earpads of the hd800 safely?

You may be able to clean the pads without having to remove them.

Here's how I maintain the pads on my HD580's:

Take a washcloth and wet it, then wring out the excess water so that the cloth is just damp. Shoot a bit of Resolve Carpet and Upholstery cleaner (pump or aerosol, your choice) on the damp cloth and work it in. Now just lightly rub the cloth around your pads until you feel like you've gotten them as clean as possible and let them air dry.

In the absence of Resolve, you can use a very small amount of liquid laundry detergent. For this I recommend putting a few drops in a glass of water so that you have a very mild solution.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 28
The problem is that pads like that tend to act as sponge. No matter how clean you are you will still produce a small amount of sweat or oil so even if we clean the outside part of the earpads some will still remain inside the earpads. I have found that after cleaning properly the hd650 earpads for the first time (before that I was just cleaning regularly the outside of the pads).
So to clean the earpads efficiently, they have to be removed put in water and compressed a few times as to remove any of that stuff inside the earpads.

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may be able to clean the pads without having to remove them.

Here's how I maintain the pads on my HD580's:

Take a washcloth and wet it, then wring out the excess water so that the cloth is just damp. Shoot a bit of Resolve Carpet and Upholstery cleaner (pump or aerosol, your choice) on the damp cloth and work it in. Now just lightly rub the cloth around your pads until you feel like you've gotten them as clean as possible and let them air dry.

In the absence of Resolve, you can use a very small amount of liquid laundry detergent. For this I recommend putting a few drops in a glass of water so that you have a very mild solution.

I think i'm gonna clean my hd600 pads that way next time.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 28
I don't understand why the design allows the transducer cover to be removed for cleaning but not the ear pads. The ear pads get most of the skin/head contact and would need cleaning much more so than the transducer cover.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was there any final conclusive answer to what material was eventually used on the hd800? i realize it was alcantara but was changed...to what i ask
confused_face(1).gif

The earpad is made of microfiber fabric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back