Reliable half decent circumaurals?
Jul 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MonkeH

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to the head-fi scene and looking to purchase my first reasonable pair of headphones. I wear cans for about 8-10 hours per day and I'm fed up of breaking cheap ones (usually cables and joints) so I'm thinking it is about time I invested in something that sounds good and lasts longer.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Entry level budget of around $100-150. I am UK based so that might limit me in what is available.

The AKG 240 & 270 caught my eye as looking pretty well made and having a detachable cord (this seems to be the bits that mainly go) but I'm open to any suggestions on good robust headphones.

I guess my preference would be closed can for isolation, but in reality I could go for either. I can't get on with the on ear types as they tend to hurt, so circumaurals would be ideal.

I listen to a wide range of stuff, and they would be mostly driven from my PC so nothing that needs amping at this stage.

I would really welcome any help or advice, as I've spent a couple of days trawling through all the different options and reviews, and feel more lost than when I started!
blink.gif

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Okay... what are looking for besides durability?

If all you're really looking for at that price is a durable all rounder an M50 or Shure 440 + 840 earpads are solid choices.

Durability would be the most important thing really. Sound wise I would prefer something fairly flat and neutral. I actually quite like the clinical/accurate reproduction, being a nakamichi fanboi at heart.

Both the M50 and Shure look a little plasticy to me, similar to the ones I've already had which break hinges or snap cables at the hinges. I heard some bad comments about Audio Technica build quality which put me off, otherwise the AD700s look like quite a good unit too? What's people's long term experience with these?

I'm currently using an ancient pair of vintage Dynatron's (don't laugh) which have lasted the course really well having all metal headband and hinges, Sound quality isn't great, and unfortunately one of the wires has now got a loose connection and they are extremely heavy. Still not a bad innings for 30 years!

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
The ATH-M50 is well-built, not sure how it'd look plasticy to you. Its build quality is actually something that is commonly praised in all reviews you'd find.

I'm actually not sure if there are other better built headphones below $150.

EDIT - The AKG K240 looks more plasticy to me than the M50 based on pics. The AKG K271 MKII looks better than the K240 (based on pics alone).

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Durability would be the most important thing really. Sound wise I would prefer something fairly flat and neutral. I actually quite like the clinical/accurate reproduction, being a nakamichi fanboi at heart.

You'll like these then, they're both pretty neutral for the price.

Don't worry about the build quality of m50's, the joints are solid, and there's a big difference between good plastic and bad plastic. I haven't tried the 440 but if it's anything like the 840 it should be built like a tank.

You can also check out the KNS 6400 and the Koss ProDJ, not sure about build quality but they both seem to measure well.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Just to update this.

Quote:
The ATH-M50 is well-built, not sure how it'd look plasticy to you. Its build quality is actually something that is commonly praised in all reviews you'd find

I suppose coming from something with metal hinges everything is going to look plasticy, but it wasn't a specific dig at the ATH. The big issue for me with the ATH was the swivel joints on the cups. I've had a few sets of phones with similar multi flex joints and these seem to break the cables inside fairly quickly which was the big turn off with these.

In the end I decided to take the plunge and invest in the AKG 271 MKII, based purely on the fact that it has no joints and a replaceable cable and should therefore (I hope) stand up to wear and tear a little more than some of the other options.

I bought them from Amazon (by far the cheapest place I could find) I've had them a couple of weeks now, and my initial impression of them was a little on the tinny side. I switched the pleather pads to the fabric ones and the sound was much improved and they are very comfortable as well. I'm not entirely sure I subscribe to the the whole thing about burn in, but after a week of listening they do sound really good, possibly just my ears adjusting. Isolation is good and the cut off switch isn't annoying as I feared it might be.

They are very light, and the build quality looks OK. All the wiring is contained in the fixed rails that are independent of the headband so there is no requirement for the wire to bend in normal use and thus it should last indefinitely. The only thing so far I have a qualms about is the length of the mini xlr jack that plugs into one side, as it tends to mean the cable gets bent at quite a sharp angle. However, it is replaceable so no big deal if it does break. The headband adjusting mechanism is essentially bits of elasticated string as a tensioning device. Very simple, and while I can't see it lasting for ever, it does look like it will be very simple to repair.

I like the fact there is enough flex in the band to listen to them "one eared" if you want to monitor something. Clarity is very good and they drive OK from my laptop soundcard as well (although obviously not as loud as they could be). A lot of people in the reviews I read criticised the bass, it isn't overpowering but it seems fine to me. Mid range is excellent.

The extra coiled cable, screw on 1/4" adapter and choice of two types of earpad is a nice touch. For under £100 it is hard to find any fault with the package.

As far as I can tell the 272HD is exactly the same piece of kit, aimed at the consumer market. It is more expensive and doesn't come with a detachable cable, so if you are looking to buy these, go for the 271.

I'm sure many regulars on the site will know all this anyway, but as a newbie I did quite a bit  of trawling through reviews and old threads before reaching a decision, so I  hope this information will be helpful to anybody else considering these headphones.

Overall I'm quite happy with my purchase.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks to all who suggested alternatives, it was to compare the different options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back