Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
Apr 15, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #196 of 344
Oct 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #198 of 344
Any updates? When will LFF finish his masterpiece?

The only NOS 20 originals are already built and sold out my friend...one being a black one..mine.. :D

so only way to get one is to get a rare second hand he5 (NOT 5LE!) yourself and sent it to LFF to be tramsformed into a code-x... But it wont be a new one as the original 20 ones... I was lucky to get one..as one of the last..as mine is number 15.. But mine had lots more work then the other 19 because of the very special and unique way LFF finished my code-x.

I truly hope u can find a good secondhand he5... Good luck with that :p

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #199 of 344
I'm in the original group apparently. Can't wait to get mine.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #200 of 344
I'm in the original group apparently. Can't wait to get mine.

??????? Ur still waiting??? I thought the original 20 NOS (new in stock versions) were sold out this january 2014????I got mine end of january also...

Mmmm Luis probably found another batch of HE5's to fiddle with (maybe good connections with hifman?) :wink: but as far i know they are not from the first original batch if he is now building one for you...ur from the second batch then...but for sure...when u get urs u will be in for a treat...its a wonderful phone!!

.BUT..pls get a good amp to drive it..i have an custommade amp built and designed for a he6 (i was planning to get a he6, but got code-x instead..lolz) with 5.24w into 50ohm and it pairs wonderful with the code-x... So i am guessing the code-x needs juice to shine on its best :p
Have fun with ur code-x when u get it...is urs brown? Or like mine..dyed in a special color and finished in beeswax?

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #201 of 344
I paid for mine in Sept of 2013. I was one of the first.

Luis explained why yours and another were able to be done more quickly. I'm still excited :)

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #202 of 344
I paid for mine in Sept of 2013. I was one of the first.

Damn..thats a long time to wait..almost as long as my custom amp i bought..so i understand u still dont have it? I thought i was one of the last ones..but i see now i am not....i am wondering how many more are still waiting for their code-x...
But dont worry...Luis (LFF) is very trustworthy!
Now i think of it..mine was also one of the two without the mini XLR connections..i wanted the regular hifiman connections.. ..and yeah i paid for it in 2013 also :wink:

Do u know when urs is finished?

Good,luck with waiting..hope u get urs soon...but its worth the wait!

This is how mine looks like to give u an idea how good Luis is:

]

And this the cable thats on its way to me at this moment..specifically made for my code-x from toxic cables, and yep..the connectors have real carbon fibre on them:)

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #203 of 344
The only NOS 20 originals are already built and sold out my friend...one being a black one..mine..
biggrin.gif

so only way to get one is to get a rare second hand he5 (NOT 5LE!) yourself and sent it to LFF to be tramsformed into a code-x... But it wont be a new one as the original 20 ones... I was lucky to get one..as one of the last..as mine is number 15.. But mine had lots more work then the other 19 because of the very special and unique way LFF finished my code-x.

I truly hope u can find a good secondhand he5... Good luck with that
tongue.gif

Mine is #13. Loving it.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #204 of 344
Are the numbers on the cans anywhere lol?

Honestly I dont know how hifiman rookie does it with that beast of an amp.  These things are so easy to drive...I cant imagine that you can turn the volume up much on that thing.  Dont get me wrong I have turned mine up pretty loud before and it definitely was not unpleasant but I found that it was just too much juice and that a more pleasurable sound (to me at least) is found on low gain. 

I am using an NFB-28 which isnt the most powerful amp in the world but its got a lot of juice...I thought I would need it for driving these crazy planars but..nope not really.  With most stuff I hardly even hit 50% volume on low gain.  Id say I max out around 66% low gain before its unpleasantly loud (though, these things sound so good you dont realize that you listening too loud so you kinda have to be careful).   

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #205 of 344
I never noticed any numbering, which is a shame, being a proud owner. Doesn't matter, they are mostly on my head and can't see them haha. Loving #12 !!! 

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #206 of 344
Are the numbers on the cans anywhere lol?

Honestly I dont know how hifiman rookie does it with that beast of an amp.  These things are so easy to drive...I cant imagine that you can turn the volume up much on that thing.  Dont get me wrong I have turned mine up pretty loud before and it definitely was not unpleasant but I found that it was just too much juice and that a more pleasurable sound (to me at least) is found on low gain. 

I am using an NFB-28 which isnt the most powerful amp in the world but its got a lot of juice...I thought I would need it for driving these crazy planars but..nope not really.  With most stuff I hardly even hit 50% volume on low gain.  Id say I max out around 66% low gain before its unpleasantly loud (though, these things sound so good you dont realize that you listening too loud so you kinda have to be careful).   

I agree with you that this phone is drivable pretty easy...Its recommendable power minimum is 2w into 38ohm if i am not mistaken..BUT i had this amp being designed from scratch and built by hand to drive a HE6 to its musical limits..thats why it has such a huge powersupply and therefore those humongous reserves in his backpocket..but that helps hugely when i am listening to classical music with huge dynamic extremes or very agressive and fast and hectic mettalica music..many amps cant cope with that!! With this amp and the code-x...u can hear it all perfectly...and that bass!!!! Its so controlled and deep! Its like the code-x and my PaG are made for each other..i can really recommend BC amps for the code-x! I know for a fact another headfi'er is getting same kind of amp for his he6 after tried many amps and not finding what he needed quality soundwise..its not same amp as mine..but it is based on same principle....

BC is taking over...hehehehe ok ok..i am exagerating.... :D

Ps..yes this headphone is deadly for ur ears!!!! U can turn the volume up to extreme highs without getting ringing in ur ears, or irritation or headaches..i always use my head to use reasonable volumes (knob around 21:00, max volume position on my amp is at 18:00) as this phone is so good high volumes wont bother u...i once experienced a situation that i was listening to queen-innuendo in sacd quality... And without knowing i had pushed the volume knob so high that when i stopped listening and got up i got dizzy!!! As if i was drunk...but no headaches or irritation at all in my ears or head...so weird! That showed me that the volume was to high for my own good!!! .this headphone is that deadly...and some others said same thing...this thing is so good that u have to be careful with the volume :p

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #207 of 344
Guys i have a little bit of a problem...the backside (clip?) of my right pad got loose..but cant find any clip or holes for any clip...anyone knows how to tackle this? I use it very carefully..and never turned or moved the pads from its place...are they glued or something?

Thanks peeps for any advice, i really love this headphone!

UPDATE: was easy fix..found the clips after a quick mail from Luis himself....thanks buddy!

Am now testing my code-x out with a new kind of silver cable...WOW...it really opens up the laidback signature of the code-x..gives him more details..more timbre in the sound...and its me, the 'anti-silver cable dude', who is saying this..the one who once swore copper is the only way to go for this phone (thats why i have the TOTL custommade ruby red Copper Venom RC8 in dual mono dual 3pin xlr version, 22awg retangular solid wire).. But this new silver cable...damn...for anyone interested: its the toxic cables SW22.. A new silver widow! U have to hear it to believe it..no kidding...

All the best
Paulo

A few pics of the new cable (the red ruby one on the pics is my custom toxic cables Copper Venom RC-8, which could be on sale soon:) )

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #209 of 344
hi guys!

just join the forum but i've been using this since the first batch. this is the planar i still owned after selling Audeze and Oppo stuffs hahaha.

[url=http://imgur.com/A6zQCjO%5B/img]http://imgur.com/A6zQCjO[/img[/url]]
[/quote]
ur shortcut doesnt work ;)

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #210 of 344
Hi everyone,

I've managed to score a pair of the Code-X.

One question, which might sound stupid, other than the leather angled pads, how can you tell if this a Code X or an HE-5? Mine came with the SMC connectors as the seller told me in the later models Luis didnt put the mini XLR connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back