Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
May 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #226 of 344
with 18carat diamonds? :D
But seriously..i love this headphone...its so balanced..and mine is only in world in black wood...luis did something special with its black dying..maybe i would exchange it for a he1000.. Maybe.. :wink:

I hope you're not serious! Please keep the code-x! The code-x and the HE6 are like fraternal twins, both totl, but so different. I love them both.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #227 of 344
To me the Code-x beat can anything out there rather shockinlgy and easily,

I preferred it over the HE6.
Yet, for a more larger Soundstage I prefer hd800,
and more realistically layered Soundstage I prefer an HEK.

All above are in same Total Top level and the Code-x tonality is its strong point maybe above the others in that respect because it is more neutral in its very accurate presentation.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #228 of 344
To me the Code-x beat can anything out there rather shockinlgy and easily,

I preferred it over the HE6.
Yet, for a more larger Soundstage I prefer hd800,
and more realistically layered Soundstage I prefer an HEK.

All above are in same Total Top level and the Code-x tonality is its strong point maybe above the others in that respect because it is more neutral in its very accurate presentation.

I agree with you..on musicality and natural presentation i still have to find a better can than this on my PaG..but i do have to say my code-x improved considerably when i got the balanced cables (dual mono) i now use..it will blow ur mind...as if ur there..especially the older analog recorded stuff give u so juch more..weird is that the difference in sound with the new digitally recorded artists is not that big..but live queen recordings, classical 24 bits live recordings, ennio morricone soundtracks, beowulf soundstrack..really gives u goosebumps on the rig i now have..

Weird is that i just got a new set of very affordable thick and stiff! Yellow colored LAN cables (cat7+)from a brand who makes rediculus expensive loudspeaker cables to replace my VERY old and dirty/worn out cat5e cables between my switch and between my NAS (my music storage) and sound changed again a bit.

.its tiny difference on very small nuances...but i hope its just my mind who is buggin me now..as..What..lan cables cant improve/ change sound..right?? Am so confused now..well back listening to some sweet tunes.. :p

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #229 of 344
I agree with you..on musicality and natural presentation i still have to find a better can than this on my PaG..but i do have to say my code-x improved considerably when i got the balanced cables (dual mono) i now use..it will blow ur mind...as if ur there..especially the older analog recorded stuff give u so juch more..weird is that the difference in sound with the new digitally recorded artists is not that big..but live queen recordings, classical 24 bits live recordings, ennio morricone soundtracks, beowulf soundstrack..really gives u goosebumps on the rig i now have..

Weird is that i just got a new set of very affordable thick and stiff! Yellow colored LAN cables (cat7+)from a brand who makes rediculus expensive loudspeaker cables to replace my VERY old and dirty/worn out cat5e cables between my switch and between my NAS (my music storage) and sound changed again a bit.

.its tiny difference on very small nuances...but i hope its just my mind who is buggin me now..as..What..lan cables cant improve/ change sound..right?? Am so confused now..well back listening to some sweet tunes.. :p

What is your full setup?

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #230 of 344

What is your full setup?

For my total rig:
Well..u can check my profile (here at headfi) and u can check this for pics and personal impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/710504/blue-circle-audio-pag-custom-headphone-amp-first-impressions-new-pics#post_10368489

Only some cables are upgraded/ replaced by better ones since then:

Headphone: Toxic Cables 'Silver Widow' 22/8 Reference Edition, 22AWG, 8wire, balanced, custom dual 3pin XLR with pure silver connectors, dual mono, exclusive creme colored special sleeving
USB: Blue Circle Audio BC98
Power: Blue Circle Audio BC62 10AWG (2x)
Lan/ethernet: Neyton CAT7+ (2x)

i recently installed a QNAP NAS (external music storage) and a TP-Link 'managed' switch (in metal enclosure) in my rig.

At this moment i am workin on a dedicated 'audiophile' (dont kill me for using that word..lolz) pc..with a paul pang modified MOtherboard and paul pang usb sound card (with own seperate liniair powersupply) among some other stuff in it. But its a work in process! And i have an eye on the uptone Regen.

For software i use: foobar2000 with fidelizer 7.2 and use kernel usb driver (instead of wasapi/asio usb driver)

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #231 of 344
How come after 3 years there is no official review of the Code-X? anywhere and the impressions are so scarce, yet it is a headphone known to sound so good. 
confused.gif

Where are the reviews?

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #233 of 344
  How come after 3 years there is no official review of the Code-X? anywhere and the impressions are so scarce, yet it is a headphone known to sound so good. 
confused.gif

Where are the reviews?

Extremely hard to find the phones and nobody wants to loan them for reviews due to risk of damaging them.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #234 of 344
Has anyone tried Audeze pads on these?
My Code-x never came with original pads ,
Instead some Alpha Pads....
So I put Audeze vegan pads and had a huge improvement..
Edit:
I am fairly certain the stock pads would be best but I don't know which pads they are.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #235 of 344

Extremely hard to find the phones and nobody wants to loan them for reviews due to risk of damaging them.

true that..i did made a long review about my black code-x, a very honest one... :)

and to be honest i sometimes dont trust those official 'reviews' anyway..best reviews are from the more experienced headfi members who have experience with audio stuff.. if you like i can provide you with the shotcut to my review about the code-x i did on my custom audio rig.

and most who have one dont need reviews to know how good it is anyway :)

i still love every second listening to it....

and almost lost it..but luckily my complete main rig was out of the house when some losers robbed my house while i was on holiday. i came home last week and found stuff gone..:frowning2: weird is they only took my multichannel rig, all my tv's and routers.

luckily the laptops etc. were with us on holiday and my main rig was at my brothers as my PaG doesnt like to be switched off (doesnt even have a on-off switch)...so it could stay juiced while i was away and he could enjoy it while i was away.

i hate those kind of ********...oops...sorry..am still so angry..

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #236 of 344
Edit:
I am fairly certain the stock pads would be best but I don't know which pads they are.

The Code-x came with the alpha pads (leather?). I tried the vegan pads on them as well, but they drown out the bass impact a bit, which I dont like. I am a big fan of the vegan pads on the HE-6 though.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #237 of 344

Edit:

The Code-x came with the alpha pads (leather?). I tried the vegan pads on them as well, but they drown out the bass impact a bit, which I dont like. I am a big fan of the vegan pads on the HE-6 though.

Wow I didn't think my pads where supposed to have Alpha Pads because they sounded much better with Audeze Leather,
But I kept the Vegan pads on for more air and soundstage.

But your right the leather had nice supple bass!
Also hate to say this because I do love these headphones but I put them up in classifieds due to less head time.
I actually used these specific headphones as the reference to mod my HEK.
If I were to keep only three TOTL headphones these would be number two on my list of HD800, Code-X, and HEK,
BUT...
Only the Code-x do not need any modding.
The others need modification just to get to the timbre of these Code-X.
That is actually embarrassing for other TOTL cans...
Oh well, the Code-x is actually a modded HE5 I keep forgetting lol..
:)
Edit:
You guys gotta try the Audeze Leather pads, as I found it more spacious and made the Alpha Pads seem a bit noticeable congestion in comparison..

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #238 of 344
What I said about the Alpha Pads makes sense because the Code-X driver diameter is large and circular like all the other HifiMan round drivers.

The Alpha Pads have a rather small inner diameter opening do they not give you the full area of sonic image size that the headphones can produce.
My guess is that this pad was chosen for superior bass slam.

The best part is that you can effectively try most HifiMan pads, along with Audeze( a more loose fit) and even ZMF Omni Pads, which, to me, look like the ultimate pads...
:)

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #239 of 344
I have been having a tough time with this Code-X

First I had the EQ on and found it a bit thin and bright. 
Then I thought I liked my Kennerton Vali more because it was more visceral and punchy because I hadn't fed the Code-X high res really yet since I was stuck on a couple of new 16bit Flacs I bought. 

Then I Ventured out into my playlist and BAM This is the second best headphone I have heard. I can't fault it except for the seldom want for more air in the last octave and the desire that it wasn't planar. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #240 of 344
  I have been having a tough time with this Code-X

First I had the EQ on and found it a bit thin and bright. 
Then I thought I liked my Kennerton Vali more because it was more visceral and punchy because I hadn't fed the Code-X high res really yet since I was stuck on a couple of new 16bit Flacs I bought. 

Then I Ventured out into my playlist and BAM This is the second best headphone I have heard. I can't fault it except for the seldom want for more air in the last octave and the desire that it wasn't planar. 

If you prefer a non-planar version with similar tuning, I heard the Utopia may be a good choice..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back