Reducing EMI
Dec 3, 2021 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a huge DAC that I was planning to stick a tube amp on top of, but EMI from the transformers in the DAC is causing humming in the tube amp. Lifting the amp, the hum becomes inaudible after I lift it about 6 inches away from the DAC. Both the DAC and the amp are in metal cases, the DAC grounded via AC plug and the amp grounded via the RCA cables. Is there any way I can reduce EMI into the amp other than placing the amp further away? I'm out of room and I don't have any shelves that will fit the DAC. The hum is unchanged with the amp completely unplugged from everything except the headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 16
Is the hum strictly the result of proximity? Or might there be a ground loop exaggerated by the interaction of a magnetic field? If the source of the hum is a ground loop, then consider using an Ebtech Hum X ground line voltage filter. If the hum is caused by a magnetic field then spatial separation is the most practical solution.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 16
As it's about attenuating the field until it's not noticeable for you at the amp, you can always try to fool around experiment with stuff you have in your house. Aluminum foil, or a side of your computer casing if it's metal, the metal plate from the oven... Put that between the amp and the DAC, check if having a piece of paper/cardboard to separate it from the amp and DAC casing improves things or not. Make a layer with coins(ideally we'd go for ferrous stuff I guess, but it's always nice to try things for ourselves). Put some tin can on each foot as elite audiophile shock absorbers and isolating material(the food probably does more than the can). You see where I'm going with that, I have stupid ideas that make people laugh.
I remember some years back a portable amp that would pick up a cellphone signal, security doors, and about anything else. I ended up pushing it inside a box of Pringles and it actually helped noticeably(nobody was as surprised as I TBH). It also made many people laugh so there's a trend here. I still got rid of that amp because it was driving me crazy.

Another cheap thing to try if you're on high gain and you don't really need to, switch it down. chances are that lower gain will mean lower noise. it's not 1certain because I don't know what part of the amp picks up that signal, but again,
aR3x11A_460s.jpg

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 16
Is the hum strictly the result of proximity? Or might there be a ground loop exaggerated by the interaction of a magnetic field? If the source of the hum is a ground loop, then consider using an Ebtech Hum X ground line voltage filter. If the hum is caused by a magnetic field then spatial separation is the most practical solution.

Yes, only proximity. The amplifier is literally unplugged from everything except the headphones. There is no ground at that point. Having it plugged in doesn't change the hum.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 16
Certain tubes are very sensitive to noise. Check your model on web and maybe get a replacement for them.

I had similar issues when my tube amp picked emi noise from phone

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 16
Hmm, if it’s only proximity, then I suspect it’s a magnetic field issue.
Yes, only proximity. The amplifier is literally unplugged from everything except the headphones. There is no ground at that point. Having it plugged in doesn't change the hum.
If that is the case, then if moving the components apart is not an option, then you have to proactively contain the electromagnetic interference with some form of Faraday Cage, see this: https://backyardbrains.com/experiments/faraday

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 16
These times are truly the golden age for emf paper. I have seen pieces of emf paper for close to nothing. Also there are materials/cloth with metallic threads in it also...at times you just have to ground them to work.....I read. I use EMF paper on two of my power cables. Over the last 20 years the stuff has gone from a rare and somewhat expensive thing to now a regular everywhere product that costs close to nothing. I don’t have experience with the new material but it seems easy to try?

https://www.amazon.com/CALIDAKA-Pro...1_6?keywords=emf+fabric&qid=1639482485&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08KDRHTQS/ref=psdcmw_318142011_t1_B0855KQ36Z

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 16
Remember that crazy guy who made youtube videos where he would whisper and show his eccentric sound system all wrapped up in foil like a Thanksgiving turkey?

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 16
Remember that crazy guy who made youtube videos where he would whisper and show his eccentric sound system all wrapped up in foil like a Thanksgiving turkey?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/famous-quotes-by-patrick82.210323/
Patrick82 was a troll.
The videos have been taken off YouTube. He was actually a performance artist and not an audiophile at all. So his videos were actually a joke, and a study in human psychology. There are a few religious subjects as well as audiophile subjects, that when spoken of........it’s a concept that humans can’t differentiate between what’s real and what isn’t. So his videos were actually an exploitative of that phenomenon.

Meaning when done in this way, it is impossible to know if he was sincere or not.

But related to the OPs topic. EMF is a real thing that affects humans in many ways. Also it can affects equipment just as the OP is stating. If you don’t believe that a small sound can be made from placing a DAC to close to an Amp........well? Of course there can be issues. Also issues can be solved with EMF paper or cloth.

Simply buy a piece and wrap your phone in it and your prove it to yourself if it’s true or not. Now days we have 100s maybe 1000s of products which address the issue.

The trolling was all over the web.
Jun 12, 2020Unbelievable
I have used varnish on black colored tweaks for the past decade. Different colors give a different sound signature. The neutral colors are white or black. White has an open and transparent sound while black has a blacker background, but also dark,...
Jan 06, 2013Coconut Audio = LOL
The retail prices are based on how good they sound compared to other manufacturers. The introductory offers are based on how much time it takes to build. Some cables are sold for 1/10th of the price. It's a gold mine that very few know of, those w...
Oct 25, 2012Stereotimes phishing?
Raytheprinter,Someone's crap is someone else's gold. If a customer buys a product and comes back to buy 50 more in less than a year, dominating the auctions, then the products are something very special.Sometimes, having too good products is a bad...
Sep 21, 2012Top 50 audiophile magazines to be reviewed in?
It is better if others tell you about them instead, I could write a book about the tweaks!
Sep 21, 2012Top 50 audiophile magazines to be reviewed in?
You are right about the magazines. I have noticed that magazines only review crappy "bling bling" stuff that are expensive and look good, with fancy packaging, but have poor audio quality from the 50's.If there was a product so good that it would ...
Sep 17, 2012Top 50 audiophile magazines to be reviewed in?
Mountainsong, the last thing I want is dishonest magazine reviews. Should I let forum members review the tweaks instead? I have found that the best testimonials I got, was when I never asked for it. The customers just wrote them because they were ...
Syntax, on what shelf is the tweak located?
The Audio Critic would be nice, but they wouldn't even consider trying my tweaks. I have tried James Randi's skeptic forum to review my tweaks for years, but they never want it, because they "already know" it "can't possibly make a difference". Al...
Roxy54, do you mean the Acoustic Revive RGC-24 Ground Conditioners I had for sale? I had 11 of them and sold them all. It took only 1 day of tweaking to build something better than RGC-24.
The 50 tweaks are only the top tweaks, I have another 80 special edition tweaks, and 47 discontinued tweaks where the material ran out. So 177 total tweaks that are successful. I also have a few hundred failed tweaks in the basement, and I also th...
Apr 28, 2011The downward spiral.....
I used a $200,000 system and now I'm using a $1000 system and get better sound than ever before. I have found that high-end is just about side-stepping into different flavors and there aren't any true improvements. When gaining something you alway...
Oct 29, 2006Stillpoint ERS Paper Question
It depends on the system. I use all the most transparent components which makes music sound edgy and bright if the problems aren't fixed. Without power conditioning, vibration isolation and ERS Paper my system doesn't sound acceptable to listen to...
Oct 22, 2006Stillpoint ERS Paper Question
I have almost a fully covered system and there are no weaknesses whatsoever, just a blacker background and more resolution.I put everything in separate compartments inside the chassis so as little as possible is touching anything. I put scotch tap...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 16
I can record it if no one believes me. It's LOUD.

Would I need to ground the fabric via an alligator clip or something?
Just lying it on the case won't ground it since the case is anodized.

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 16

Of course it is loud. Appliances have been disrupting audio since the invention of the LP, and before. I have not purchased any cloth/paper in a long time. But if you have seen the videos it is a regular issue. The spectrum is a wide range so finding a material best suited to your needs may be simple, maybe not. Obviously a meter will show you the exact frequency that is being emitted but who wants to invest in one of those. Maybe someone who reads this thread can chime in, who has also had the problem and cured it with the cloth?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 16
I miss that guy. He was a higher caliber of fool than the kind you see now. They don’t make them like that any more!

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 16
1375061.jpg

I miss that guy. He was a higher caliber of fool than the kind you see now. They don’t make them like that any more!
None of it was real. But he exposed part of the foolery here and other places. The gullibility of the audiophile. Only in hindsight do we learn.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/patrick82.4933/about

Edit;
His videos are still up. But not the old classic ones. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 16
I have a huge DAC that I was planning to stick a tube amp on top of, but EMI from the transformers in the DAC is causing humming in the tube amp. Lifting the amp, the hum becomes inaudible after I lift it about 6 inches away from the DAC. Both the DAC and the amp are in metal cases, the DAC grounded via AC plug and the amp grounded via the RCA cables. Is there any way I can reduce EMI into the amp other than placing the amp further away? I'm out of room and I don't have any shelves that will fit the DAC. The hum is unchanged with the amp completely unplugged from everything except the headphones.
Mu-metal shielding. In the industry I work in, we use Mu-metal to block EMI from 10,000RPM motors from interfering with very sensitive electro-magnetic signal pickups. Sorry, I'm not gonna explain what I do for a living.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 16

Grounding will do nothing. You need shielding or physical separation. The hum will of course exist as long as field interference exists.

If you were to get scientific about it you could try a conductive "cage" arranged 90 degrees to the field and then grounded but then you're blocking your dac front panel and would have to cut holes to route your back end.

Physical distance i.e. a non-conductive/non-ferrous rack is the best and most practical solution.

Edit: this will only work if your transformers are not toroidal. Still a hard EMI/EMF "box" is your only choice if you refuse to physically move them apart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back