Recycling Edition 8's
Feb 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dgiles

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Palladium Edition 8's with Moon-Audio Silver Dragon V3 cable.  I was thinking about selling them, Sound is good, fit isn't perfect.  I was talking with a friend about it.  He's a jeweler.  He said if they have palladium cups I should recycle them.  He said his jewelry store would probably give me between $1,000 and $2,000 just for the palladium, depending on how many ounces are in the cup.  I looked into it.  Palladium is around $700 an ounce.  I wonder how many ounces are in the cup. 

I think it is an interesting investment when your headphones go up in value just because of the precious metal their made out of.  I am guessing you don't get the same bonus with the HD800's.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 16
I think its plated with a very very thin layer of palladium

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 16
I think he was thinking about the whole cup being Palladium instead of Palladium coated, it will worth nearly as much as his estimate nor you will be able to buy a brand new Edition 8 for the same money. If you are thinking of doing something with it, selling it should still get you plenty.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 16
Like others have said, I highly doubt there's enough palladium in the cups to even consider selling it to extract.
Though considering the price difference between the regular edition 8s and the there's probably a decent amount of palladium coating?

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Like others have said, I highly doubt there's enough palladium in the cups to even consider selling it to extract.
Though considering the price difference between the regular edition 8s and the there's probably a decent amount of palladium coating?

no... coatings are normally very very thing 

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 16
As you've been told, it's likely a thin plating. There is no way that Ultrasone (or anyone else) would basically give away hundreds (to thousands) of dollars of precious metals with a product; they couldn't sustain it for any period of time even if they were feeling exceptionally generous. Finished goods are almost always worth more than the sum of their components (especially raw materials). 

Granted, if the price of precious metals increased substantially, they could (in theory) increase in value, but this would likely require decades of inflation. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 16
As you've been told, it's likely a thin plating. There is no way that Ultrasone (or anyone else) would basically give away hundreds (to thousands) of dollars of precious metals with a product; they couldn't sustain it for any period of time even if they were feeling exceptionally generous. Finished goods are almost always worth more than the sum of their components (especially raw materials). 

Granted, if the price of precious metals increased substantially, they could (in theory) increase in value, but this would likely require decades of inflation. 

I'm not saying they put 500+$ worth of palladium but there's probably a good 100-200$ worth of palladium coating.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 16
no, coatings are very very thin, it will account for little of the total cost

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 16
lol!

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 16
Cost of extraction of palladium off a cup could possibly cost more than the palladium coating itself. Labor, freight, chemical process of extraction for an unknown assay of a light coating don't fly too much with any precious metal guys.

Just a thought..

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Cost of extraction of palladium off a cup could possibly cost more than the palladium coating itself. Labor, freight, chemical process of extraction for an unknown assay of a light coating don't fly too much with any precious metal guys.
Just a thought..

True. 
Look for palladium bars instead. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #15 of 16
Just sell the headphone itself for better conclusions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back