Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Jul 7, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #1,561 of 1,817
So i think what i'm hearing is distorsion because i doubt the two amps i have measures equal
If it is distortion then your amp is broken. Distortion is audible at around 1%, you amp should produce distortion around 10-100 times below that. Also, they do not have to measure equal to sound the same. For example, if we assume the other measurements are the same or below audibility, how would an amp with 0.01% distortion sound different from an amp with 0.1% distortion if 1% is the threshold of audibility? It’s like saying a virus must look different to a bacteria because it measures way different/smaller but of course they both look exactly the same to the human eye because they’re both below the threshold of visibility and therefore both invisible.
sorry but i don't have proof of what i'm hearing, i just hear somehow different, i'm sure you will not trust my words but that's what i think …
I don’t trust your words because it’s not reasonable to assume you have hearing “somehow different” to all other human beings. Especially as countless audiophiles have made this claim over the decades but then always failed to demonstrate such super human abilities when tested reliably. However, that doesn’t mean I think you’re deliberately lying, just confused between what you’re hearing and what you’re perceiving and therefore that “somehow different” is easily explained (by the fact you’re a human).
again, recording with impulcifer in a very good treated room does a whole lot compared to only switching amps,
Absolutely it does, because you’re talking about differences of many dBs as opposed to tiny fractions of a dB that are inaudible!

G

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,562 of 1,817
So i think what i'm hearing is distorsion

There is no reason to expect that there's an audible difference. Did you check out the article in my sig file I referred you to? Amps can measure different and sound the same to human ears. We can measure much more than we can hear.

This is the Sound Science forum. We are allowed to point out that unless you do a line level matched, direct A/B switched blind test, you can't really know whether amps sound different or not. A controlled listening test is how you determine audibility, not guessing. Most of us who post here regularly have done this kind of test ourselves.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,563 of 1,817
Anyone had any luck with playing Dolby TrueHD or DTS-X. I'm getting the surround but cant seem to find a way to play these directly, they always output as PCM. I would like to try and get that 3d audio these offer.

1Untitled.png
2Untitled.png

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #1,564 of 1,817
Anyone had any luck with playing Dolby TrueHD or DTS-X. I'm getting the surround but cant seem to find a way to play these directly, they always output as PCM. I would like to try and get that 3d audio these offer.
Your question totally confuses me.
Did you mean "Dolby Atmos or DTS-X " instead of "Dolby True HD or DTS-X"?
(There is normal Dolby True HD, that is up to 7.1 channels. And there is Dolby True HD based Dolby Atmos.)
Do you mean playing over virtual speakers using impulcifer hrir's?
"they always output as PCM" As how many channels PCM? output to what?

If you want for example 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos via virtual speakers you need:
-software that decodes Dolby Atmos to 12 channels PCM (or 11 with the .1 LFE channel mixed into the main front channels)
-software that can simulate 12 (or 11) virtual speakers to play those 12 (or 11) channels of PCM
-and of course a hrir with 12 (or 11) virtual speakers

Jul 14, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,565 of 1,817
Sorry for the confusion. I’m trying to find out if the surround sound is object based with our hrir’s , where it simulates back and forth up and down.

But when I play Dolby true hd or Dts-x it outputs as pcm so I’m thinking I only get the 7.1 but it’s not 3d audio object based.

I know we can’t get height channels.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #1,566 of 1,817
Sorry for the confusion. I’m trying to find out if the surround sound is object based with out hrir’s , where it simulates back and forth up and down.

But when I play Dolby true hd or Dts-x it outputs as pcm so I’m thinking I only get the 7.1 but it’s not 3d audio object based.

I know we can’t get height channels.
The object based part is true only until the decoder. It’s the decoder’s job to mix the signal so it equals the number of speakers you use. If the virtual sound source is physically supposed to be between 2 speakers, the decoder will spread the signal to those 2, and maybe send something as reverb quietly into the others or whatever the algo says to do for that position and this number of speakers to best fool the human. Even with 150 distinct object based audio signals, the decoder turns it into 7.1 or whatever you are using.

And in the specific case of this thread, you have to turn the signal into multichannel PCM before you can apply your PRIRS to each channel, so the decoding has to happen before the personzlized convolutions.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #1,567 of 1,817
Problems are usually problems because of the decoder. I learned here recently that matrixed Dolby Stereo surround programs are decoded differently by different decoders. The Dolby decoder in my Yamaha AVR and the one in my Oppo player decode it as 3 front channels and one rear split across the two rear channels. But with a Dennon AVR, the Dolby decoder up-mixes it to a fake 5.1 as if it's regular stereo, ignoring the matrixed content. You'd think Dolby is Dolby and it always defaults to the proper decoding scheme, but that isn't the case.

PCM is audibly transparent, so there is nothing wrong with decoding in the player and outputting as PCM to the AVR. Or pass the signal directly via HDMI to the AVR and decode there. It all comes out the same, neither is better. Whichever component is newer is more likely to decode newer multichannel codecs properly, and whichever is older is more likely to decode matrixed surround.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #1,569 of 1,817
It will work via USB if it's in a Dolby Digital+ container from TV, but not from a blu-ray disk as I understand it. PCM won't work I'm pretty sure.

Jul 18, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #1,571 of 1,817
Are there any different settings used on hesuvi with our own hrir’s than what is guided from the hesuvi wiki? I’m noticing I still get surround sound sometimes better when I don’t use their guide with windows settings.

In windows sound options when I select stereo rather than 7.1, the stereo still gives proper surround sound for movies using mpc hc. The only problem is on gaming the stereo options don’t allow me to select 5.1/7.1/surround options because the game thinks I’ve only got stereo speakers.

I have upmix stereo and 5.1 both on in hesuvi and the clarity of the surround and position audio sounds better than choosing 7.1 windows option.

I’m using vb cable, eqapo that shows stereo on the top right. Windows stereo. Listen device my fiio DAC. Default device vbcable. Mpc hc player with output speaker as 7.1. Upmix only on hesuvi. All on 24bit 48000.

I hope this make sense

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #1,572 of 1,817
Are there any different settings used on hesuvi with our own hrir’s than what is guided from the hesuvi wiki? I’m noticing I still get surround sound sometimes better when I don’t use their guide with windows settings.

In windows sound options when I select stereo rather than 7.1, the stereo still gives proper surround sound for movies using mpc hc. The only problem is on gaming the stereo options don’t allow me to select 5.1/7.1/surround options because the game thinks I’ve only got stereo speakers.

I have upmix stereo and 5.1 both on in hesuvi and the clarity of the surround and position audio sounds better than choosing 7.1 windows option.

I’m using vb cable, eqapo that shows stereo on the top right. Windows stereo. Listen device my fiio DAC. Default device vbcable. Mpc hc player with output speaker as 7.1. Upmix only on hesuvi. All on 24bit 48000.

I hope this make sense
You might want to check whether your channels assignments are correct? A common mistake is mixing up the RL/RR and BL/BR channels. Also try some channel tests to see whether your BRIRs are rendering sounds correctly in the perceived directions.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 22, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #1,573 of 1,817
The channels seem to be correct I’ve use the hesuvi 7.1 test and others and the right speakers play the right sounds.

Another question and sorry if it’s something simple. My lg cx can play atmos is there a way to send audio via my 3080 gpu with earc to my tv so my pc thinks it’s a Dolby device and then either through earc or 3.5mm back into the pc so I can use this as my listening device in the windows sound settings?

I’m currently testing Dolby for headphones as my listening device (7.1 on vbcable with no Dolby or sonic surround option but using Dolby headphones on my fiio listening device) it’s working great. I would recommend someone else test this.

IMG_0634.jpeg
IMG_0633.jpeg
IMG_0632.jpeg
IMG_0629.jpeg
IMG_0625.jpeg

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #1,574 of 1,817
The channels seem to be correct I’ve use the hesuvi 7.1 test and others and the right speakers play the right sounds.
Are using 7.1 in your windows settings for that test or also 2.0?

Another question and sorry if it’s something simple. My lg cx can play atmos is there a way to send audio via my 3080 gpu with earc to my tv so my pc thinks it’s a Dolby device
Over the HDMI output it should work.
and then either through earc or 3.5mm back into the pc so I can use this as my listening device in the windows sound settings?
I think you just get send back stereo from your TV.

Jul 31, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #1,575 of 1,817
I'm considering creating a VST plugin for Equalizer APO. The idea is to have it import measured BRIRs and use head tracking to dynamically synthesize virtual surround sound in real-time. Before I dive in, I'm curious if there's already a plugin or software out there that can do this? I'd hate to reinvent the wheel. Also, if anyone has any relevant resources or references that could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back