Recommending Hifiman HE-400 or Philips X1
Apr 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AudioHi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, All
I was out from this hobby for some time and sold many gears on the way. Now I'm back and start this journey again
:wink: I recently bought Denon D600 because I missed my D7000 and hit myself on the head why did I get rid of D7000.. I was debating between either d600, X1 or he400 and I went with safe route of denon signature sound. I enjoy d600 as of now and thinking of getting either x1 or he400 or other brands.
What I'm looking for is sound signature different from hd650 (too dark and boring), K701 (uncomfortable and more boring than hd650), AD700 (comfortable but that's it), sr60 (too bright..)
I guess I am looking into denon sound with better mid and soundstage.. Is it too much to ask or there are headohones fit my need? I have never tried ultrasone, beyer, hifiman, philips etc..
Thank you.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 12
The X1's are definitely a dark sounding headphone. Although they are a lot faster than the HD650's. I think you would enjoy either the HE400's or perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT880. Look into 'em. Tell me what you think.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi, All
I was out from this hobby for some time and sold many gears on the way. Now I'm back and start this journey again
wink.gif
I recently bought Denon D600 because I missed my D7000 and hit myself on the head why did I get rid of D7000.. I was debating between either d600, X1 or he400 and I went with safe route of denon signature sound. I enjoy d600 as of now and thinking of getting either x1 or he400 or other brands.
What I'm looking for is sound signature different from hd650 (too dark and boring), K701 (uncomfortable and more boring than hd650), AD700 (comfortable but that's it), sr60 (too bright..)
I guess I am looking into denon sound with better mid and soundstage.. Is it too much to ask or there are headohones fit my need? I have never tried ultrasone, beyer, hifiman, philips etc..
Thank you.

Fostex TH600? Basically the successor price and performance wise to the D7000. Unsure how different the two sound having not heard the D7000.
In case you were not aware, Denon D7000 really was made by Fostex back in the day but branded as Denon, until they broke ties and Fostex came out with the TH600 and TH900.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Thank you for the replies. Feel like I was out for so long..  I will definitely want to get more info on Fostex TH600 and TH900. Also I see many good reviews on Beyerdynamic cans. I was researching for few hours and I came across Hifiman HE-560, Mrspeakers Mad dog and Alpha dog, and Audeze LCD2? I never knew there are many more choices as of now.. I don't know if it is good or bad.. I thought I will be satisfy with X1 or HE-400 but now I think I need to reconsider my choices.. Especially Alpha dog looks very interesting.. at $599.. I use D600 as temporary can until I can find the right one.. Thanks for the inputs.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 12
There has heaps of newer models since then

Fostex TH600, TH900, TH500RP (soon)
Audeze LCD2, LCD3, LCDX, LCDXC
AKG K812
Shure 1540
Ultrasone Signature DJ, Sig Pro
Hifiman HE560
Oppo PM-1
Mr Speakers Alpha Dog
LFF Enigma
Final Audio Pandora Hope

Quite confusing I'd imagine. Staggering how many have been released!!!

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 12
Thank you UNIFi. I just looked into fostex 600 and 900. I have to say 900 is very nice but out of my price range for sure.. like $150K sports car..
I think 600 is at good price.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 12
The HE400 are much better than the X1
Those are two different headphones with different emphasis on bass, midrange and other differences in reproduction. I'm actually on the verge of getting either, but I know it's not as simple as saying one is better. Both are good. I'm interested in hearing further comparison/ analysis from people who have listened to both.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 12
I just flipped the coin and bought the x1 over he-400.. j/k.. I did many hours on researching and decide to try x1 first. If I don't like it, will return back to amazon and try he-400.
My ultimate goal is to buy th900 someday.
Hope I will enjoy x1..

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 12
I got my X1 today and I love it. Sound quality is better than d600. I must say X1 is fun and enjoyable hp. More fun than d600. Bass is there and mid is clear. only downfalls so far are ear cups gets itch and need hp amp to play loud and clear. I tried without hp amp and played straight through ipod and note3.. sounded muddy, distorted when play loud and soft. I definitely recommends hp amp.
X1 is definitely a keeper.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 12
I got my X1 today and I love it. Sound quality is better than d600. I must say X1 is fun and enjoyable hp. More fun than d600. Bass is there and mid is clear. only downfalls so far are ear cups gets itch and need hp amp to play loud and clear. I tried without hp amp and played straight through ipod and note3.. sounded muddy, distorted when play loud and soft. I definitely recommends hp amp.
X1 is definitely a keeper.

Yea that's what I have been saying about the x1 the idea they don't need amping to sound their best is a myth, btw did you try changing the stock cable ? that can make it sound muddy to some people.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Yea that's what I have been saying about the x1 the idea they don't need amping to sound their best is a myth, btw did you try changing the stock cable ? that can make it sound muddy to some people.

Yup. definitely X1 needs an amp for sure. I wouldn't play without it. It seems like my ibasso d4 with topflight kit has good synergy with X1. X4 with AD8620 sounds okay but makes X1 too bright and less soundstage than d4.
I also bought the mediabridge cable but didn't try yet because stock cable works better than I thought. I will try comparison later. So far X1 is my favorite can now. Sounds way better than hd650 or k701 I had before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back