Recommended bookshelf speakers?
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:
Thanks for the input on Polk speakers.I'll check out the Swan D1080 IV as well. What is it that makes the setup difficult though?
Thanks trog, I'll be sure to look around.

Computer audio output setting are usually 2-channel, 4-channel, 6-channel (5.1), 8-channel (7.1).
2.1 is 3-channel output, computer sound cards do not have that setting.
Most computer 2.1 setups use the computer's audio setting  "2-channel".
The 2-channel are usually send to the sub-woofer where the 2.0 is split into 2.1
So the sub-woofer box usually splits the signal and powers itself and the two speakers.
Most stand alone sub-woofers to do not have that feature and the ones that do It well would be out of your budget.
Anyone that is in your budget would not be that great.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #17 of 47
Ohh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. If I connected the computer to a receiver would this setup be possible or does the underlying problem still remain?

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:
Ohh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. If I connected the computer to a receiver would this setup be possible or does the underlying problem still remain?

Receiver should be fine

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:
You sound like me before i got the Pios TC! 21 owner, just pulled the trigger on the floorstanders with the Newegg coupon. I'm trying to see if i can tell a difference from T-Amps to dedicated receivers because people make a big deal out of powering speakers from a $20 product. I'm putting off Polk for later (Monitor 40/60, the 30s seem like they wouldn't have much bass) since some were saying the Pios are cheaper and better.

The T-amp/Class D brawl has a few more sides to it than the fact that they are '$20 amps':

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609853/class-d-heaven-or-hell

End of the day, if you like the end result, that's all that really matters. Just dont expect the skepticism to disappear anytime soon - its firmly entrenched. I would note that a lot of this applies to the internal amps which power active speakers.  

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 47
Jun 8, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #23 of 47
What if you got the Pinnacle Speakers S-FIT LCR 250 speakers + a different brand sub.  I've been trying to find reviews on these speakers, all I know is that for this specific one that's really cheap.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 47
For that price you can buy a pair of Sony SS-B3000s or Pioneer SP-BS21s. If the only info you can find on a pair of speakers online is that they're "really cheap", that's not a good sign.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #25 of 47
Jun 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #27 of 47
Jun 8, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #29 of 47
Yes, and the lowest price you'd find for a new one of those is 150-200. What are you hoping to accomplish with this system, is this a home theater setup to be used with a TV or are you just trying to listen to some music?

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #30 of 47
I'd like to use it for movies and music.  All of them are in a single area, with my computer and ps3 (for blu ray movies).  My room is fairly small so I don't think I need a REALLY good setup.  My soundcard is a Xonar Essence STX and my onboard is the Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC on my sabertooth z77.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back