Recommended bookshelf speakers?
Jun 5, 2012 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

FLCL

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to find out some good bookshelf speakers and a sub to pair them with so I can try to narrow down my search a bit more. I'm primarily going to be using these for movies and music. A good amount of techno so tight bass with some punch is what I'm after, but I'm not a real "bass head" or anything, balance is important, I just enjoy some good bass. Also to feel the movies a bit more which I'm afraid bookshelf speakers are going to be lacking in that field, what do you think? Here some of either the names or models that I've seen recommended:

- Klipsch B-2 Synergy Bookshelf speakers (I've read these are pretty good speakers even without a sub)
- Polk Audio bookshelf (name comes up but usually no specific model)
- Audioengine A2 (I've read these can be great for bass when paired with a sub)
- Audioengine A5 (haven't read great things for the price +out of budget)
-m200MKII (way out of my budget)

I'm looking to spend around $200, but I can stretch to around $250ish and maybe $300 if really needed. At present time, my laptop is the source and I have a USB DAC (D4 mamba) that can be used . The Lepai Tripath TA2020 amp seems to be a good fit for the type of setup I'm looking for so thats taken care of. So I'm really looking for suggestions on good bookshelf speakers that can be paired with a sub for bass if needed in the price range. I'll be trying to find a place to audition them if possible as well. Thanks for all the help! (sorry if it was long D: )

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 47
For Polk Newegg has them with free ship all the time and you'd be looking at M30II/M40II though i would say give the used market a shot as well and you could land stuff like Energy RC-10, Infinity Primus P162, etc

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 47
Just curious - you seem to be mixing active and passive speakers in that list - do you already have a speaker amp ? The T-amps are great, but if you can get an active speaker you KNOW it has enough power built-in. Amp and speakers for 250 isnt a very good proposition, no matter how good the ebay T-amps look.  

Just sayin ....

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 47
Jun 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 47
For Polk Newegg has them with free ship all the time and you'd be looking at M30II/M40II though i would say give the used market a shot as well and you could land stuff like Energy RC-10, Infinity Primus P162, etc

I'm definitely willing to buy used, especially if I can grab a great deal. Any other places you recommend I look besides ebay and the seller forums?

Just curious - you seem to be mixing active and passive speakers in that list - do you already have a speaker amp ? The T-amps are great, but if you can get an active speaker you KNOW it has enough power built-in. Amp and speakers for 250 isnt a very good proposition, no matter how good the ebay T-amps look.  

Just sayin ....

I don't really have a preference, those were just speakers that I had seen often repeated. Though in a lot of threads people were recommending bookshelf , especially for budget systems. I don't already have an amp, but $300 is my absolute max budget

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:
I'm trying to find out some good bookshelf speakers and a sub to pair them with so I can try to narrow down my search a bit more. I'm primarily going to be using these for movies and music. A good amount of techno so tight bass with some punch is what I'm after, but I'm not a real "bass head" or anything, balance is important, I just enjoy some good bass. Also to feel the movies a bit more which I'm afraid bookshelf speakers are going to be lacking in that field, what do you think? Here some of either the names or models that I've seen recommended:
- Klipsch B-2 Synergy Bookshelf speakers (I've read these are pretty good speakers even without a sub)
- Polk Audio bookshelf (name comes up but usually no specific model)
- Audioengine A2 (I've read these can be great for bass when paired with a sub)
- Audioengine A5 (haven't read great things for the price +out of budget)
-m200MKII (way out of my budget)
I'm looking to spend around $200, but I can stretch to around $250ish and maybe $300 if really needed. At present time, my laptop is the source and I have a USB DAC (D4 mamba) that can be used . The Lepai Tripath TA2020 amp seems to be a good fit for the type of setup I'm looking for so thats taken care of. So I'm really looking for suggestions on good bookshelf speakers that can be paired with a sub for bass if needed in the price range. I'll be trying to find a place to audition them if possible as well. Thanks for all the help! (sorry if it was long D: )

I all ways recommend Polk Audio because they are usually on sale, with free shipping and zero sales tax somewhere.
So they are a good value, your not going to overpay for what you get.
The cheapest and still decent sub-woofer is the Velodyne VX-11, and it's a $150 minimum, when on sale.
Trying to get computer audio to work with separate speakers and a sub is not easy.
So it might just be better to spend your cash on the best 2.0 setup you can find.
Maybe the Swam D1080 IV.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 47
I've heard that the Behringer studio monitors are a great pick in that price range -- B2031P for passive, B2031A for active.  I've not done much price searching on the actives, but with a little digging you can grab a pair of the passives for <= $240 shipped.

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 47
You sound like me before i got the Pios TC! 21 owner, just pulled the trigger on the floorstanders with the Newegg coupon. I'm trying to see if i can tell a difference from T-Amps to dedicated receivers because people make a big deal out of powering speakers from a $20 product. I'm putting off Polk for later (Monitor 40/60, the 30s seem like they wouldn't have much bass) since some were saying the Pios are cheaper and better.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 47
I all ways recommend Polk Audio because they are usually on sale, with free shipping and zero sales tax somewhere.
So they are a good value, your not going to overpay for what you get.
The cheapest and still decent sub-woofer is the Velodyne VX-11, and it's a $150 minimum, when on sale.
Trying to get computer audio to work with separate speakers and a sub is not easy.
So it might just be better to spend your cash on the best 2.0 setup you can find.
Maybe the Swam D1080 IV.

Thanks for the input on Polk speakers.I'll check out the Swan D1080 IV as well. What is it that makes the setup difficult though?

AVS marketplace (also great place for consultation for speakers) , craiglist, gumtree, etc 

Thanks trog, I'll be sure to look around.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 47
If you can find them (on the internet/ebay/....), I advise you to buy the amazing KEF IQ30.

They sound terrific for the size ! 

I actually saw those come up a couple times but I haven't read much about them. What do you think about them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back