Recommended Bitrate/Sampling for Windows Settings+Bonus Question
Sep 9, 2022 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Johnnyde94

Head-Fier
Hi there I was just wondering what the "proper" audio settings for windows would be. lets take my bifrost 2 as an example. On the spec sheets it can go up to 24/192 for usb, Is that what i should set windows audio settings to? This is kinda a bad example given its a multibit dac and I could also potently see the argument of leaving it at 16 bit dept as that's what the native bit depth of the chip is (or i guess technically 17bits given an explanation i watched somewhere due to there being 4 chips, each with 16 bits on two channels some how give you an extra bit of resolution)

Two questions then i guess... Let's assume i have a delta sigma with max bit depth of 32/384 (my SoundBlaster G6 I have at work atm), should that be my bit depth and sampling settings or should it be based on the recordings I have. let's also assume all recordings are cd quality so 16/44.1.

Second question, with multibit dacs, do they sound best always at a bit depth no more then the native bit resolution of the hardware (so pretty much rounded up or down to 16 for 99.9999 cases) I know they can reach 24 bit with megacomboburrito filter and over sampling but should you? Now there's NOS mode on the bifrost 2 but i won't even get into that as most prefer the sound of the filter and over sampling anyway.

I have always been curious on this question and if there is really any difference at all. I guess looking at the physics of if I only have 16 bits of resolution to begin with, to my knowledge upsampling would give you 8 more bits to work with but your now ether creating new information by oversampling or you are just wasting the extra bits with them being zeros. Modern computers don’t care about that extra compute.

If I wanted to go extreme on this question, what about upsampling algos in foobar should one upsample to highest settings a device should reach? Or should you just let the dac deal with that.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 12
The best sample rate and bit depth is no sample rate and bit depth.

The Windows settings only come into play if you don't use ASIO or WASAPI drivers. The settings affect sound that goes through Windows audio mixer, which is a known-good way to screwup your music quality.

Use preferably ASIO drivers or WASAPI if you don't have ASIO, set exclusive mode on the device in Windows sound settings, and the music will bypass Windows audio and will be at the correct sample rate and bit depth as long as the player or app supports it.

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 12
I see that’s how set most of my music to anyway now that I think of it. Tidal exclusive mode, foobar2000 aiso ext. Only other thing would be my video games that don’t have exclusive modes. So should windows be set to 24/48 when I’m gaming or is keeping it at 24/44.1 ok?

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 12
I see that’s how set most of my music to anyway now that I think of it. Tidal exclusive mode, foobar2000 aiso ext. Only other thing would be my video games that don’t have exclusive modes. So should windows be set to 24/48 when I’m gaming or is keeping it at 24/44.1 ok?
Depends on the game. I think @msing539 might know a good general setting, or ask in the gaming threads.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 12
I do 24 bit, 44.1--some games are 48 from what I understand.

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Most things now use compressed audio at 48kHz so if the music is handled by asio, 48 is probably what will require the least resampling overall.

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 12
if you know the bit depth and sample rate of each game on windows there are apps that can help lol

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 12
The best sample rate and bit depth is no sample rate and bit depth.

The Windows settings only come into play if you don't use ASIO or WASAPI drivers. The settings affect sound that goes through Windows audio mixer, which is a known-good way to screwup your music quality.

Use preferably ASIO drivers or WASAPI if you don't have ASIO, set exclusive mode on the device in Windows sound settings, and the music will bypass Windows audio and will be at the correct sample rate and bit depth as long as the player or app supports it.
Looks like his gaming was the real issue, but this is absolutely the correct answer for high-fidelity audio listening. :)

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 12
Leave shared mode setting (this is what bit rate in control panel is) at 32/48 or 24/48.
Exclusive mode WASAPI or ASIO will bypass this setting and output original bitstream to external DAC.
Amazon HD while supports WASAPI and has "exclusive" mode still doesn't do bit perfect so everything gets oversampled to settings in sound control panel.
Qobuz doesn't have that problem, neither Tidal.
Equalizer APO requires shared mode, so you'll lose bitperfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back