Recommendations wanted: Upgrading from A900 at same price range?
Jan 22, 2011 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sdchilders

New Head-Fier
Long time fan; came here 6 years ago and left with a pair of ATHA900.  And I have loved them ever since (thanks head-fi!)

I would like to try something new.  I own both the A900's and a pair of head-direct RE-2's.  I'm looking to spend less than $200 and purchase new from a site like amazon, headroom, etc. I'd say my primary concern is that I want something a bit different (so I'm reluctant to get the ATH M50). Sound wise, my favorite thing about the A900 is hearing detail and, to a lesser degree, the nice sound stage.  I also want something I can wear for ~2 hrs at a time.  No amp and source comes from my MacBook, ThinkPad and iPod.

I sometimes get fatigued while wearing RE-2's; so while not required, it would be kind of nice if I could have something to wear in the library or coffee shops - socially acceptable to wear without lots of looks and at least some isolation.  I've been looking pretty closely, then, at the Shure 840s and Senn HD25, but also the 555 and 595.  But I'm a more than a bit worried that it's going to be tough to be impressed by at $200 anything since I already have the A900 and might need to stick with open/home pair.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back