Recommendations: Reference ove-the-ear for the office
Jun 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

compfixer

New Head-Fier
Greetings!

As some may know, I was on an earbud tear for a while, but I have since realized that (correct me if I'm wrong) a bigger speaker equates to a wider soundstage and, overall, better sound.  I tried the Klipsch S4 (current buds), the Etymotic HF3 (nice sounding, but not worth the $100 over my S4), Bose IE2 (bass heavy and washed out mids with lacking treble), and a few others in the sub-$300 range.

My hardware right now is: 
  1. MacBook Pro (2011 model)
  2. FiiO E7 DAC/Amp
  3. Klipsch S4 earbuds with Comply foam tips
  4. iPod 64GB (4th Generation circa 2010, current generation as of June 2011)
  5. Bose around-the-ear headphones

Note: I am also considering purchasing the FiiO E9 amp to go with my E7.

Given all of that, I was looking for a good pair of circumaural headphones that don't leak too much sound as they will be used in an office environment.  All of the cans I have looked at so far (AKG 701/2, Sennheiser HD600/650, etc) are "open air", which tells me that they will leak a lot of sound.  I want to avoid alienating every one of my cube-mates, so I was hoping that someone could suggest a "reference" quality set of cans that will give me great sound with the E7 (and, likely, the eventual E7/E9 combo I'll be getting) while not breaking the bank and preserving a quiet environment.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 9
I think that, based on what you say about you IEM's that a pair of T50RP's would suit you.

Yeah, they are $75

Get over it.

First off, they are great for anything and I find them to out beat $500 headphones everyday. In soundstage, mids, highs, and after mods, lows. They need an amp like a fish to water, but since your going to get a E9, there is no problem. I am absolutely blown away with these cans, and not many headphones under the $1000 range have blown me away. These are around the ear, so that you entire ear is surrounded and covered.

I'll be posting a review on these babies in a couple hours, so just wait please.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 9
BotByte,

Thanks for the suggestion!  I am not opposed to purchasing something on the cheaper end (price), especially if they sound as good as you make it seem.  I'm uncertain who makes the T50RP, though; is this what you were referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-T50RP-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0002MT6RY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308589018&sr=1-1

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
BotByte,

Thanks for the suggestion!  I am not opposed to purchasing something on the cheaper end (price), especially if they sound as good as you make it seem.  I'm uncertain who makes the T50RP, though; is this what you were referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-T50RP-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0002MT6RY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308589018&sr=1-1

Yes,  that's what he's referring to.  (although they can usually be found cheaper-- see: B&H)
There's a rather large thread about them here.  They're quite well known for being a great choice if you want to mod your headphones to get the exact sound you want out of them.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm a big fan of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's.   I use them at my office and my house and they sound great with virtually no sound leakage.  You'll also find that a lot of people on here like the, use them and recommend them.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 9
technologiq (Daft Punk reference?),

Thanks for the heads up on those A-Ts.  I like them, and my give them a try if the Fostex cans don't work out, but I like that the Fostexes support a higher frequency response (love those highs!).  I will definitely keep them in mind; thanks again!

Any other suggestions?

P.S. Now I have "Technologic" by Daft Punk stuck in my head.  Thanks a lot! :p

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I am a fans of this AKG Q701 Premium Reference Headphones ,it is a little expensive for me.
What do u think about it?

The AKG Q701 looks nice, but it's an "open air" design, which means it will leak too much sound for office use.  Thanks, though!

Quote:
Here you go : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Acix, I'll have to look more into these; thanks for the heads up!  How happy are you with them, even today?

Keep 'em coming, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back