Recommendations please: IEM'S between 90 and 130 bucks
Apr 28, 2013 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Crystal-Earwax

New Head-Fier
Any recommendations of IEM'S that has detachable cables, comply foam tips, good isolation, good bass but not to much, highs that are clear and don't sound rough.

$90 to $130 only please.

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 26
First off -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659go

I'm not too familiar with IEMs at this price that would bundle Complys (although there must be some) due to the price of the actual tips and the replaceability factor. And detachable cables at this price is pretty much breaking the bank. Can't think of much in terms of the cable part other  than the VC02s that would fit (apparently the treble is quite nice and loads of clarity from the looks of the reviews and impressions, but haven't heard for myself so not only take with a grain of salt, probably would need to do some of your own research about that one in particular). 

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 26
The models that I've known that's within budget are Westone UM1, and Shure SE215. But I don't know the other brands that sounded great and within the price range. Unfortunately, the UM1's doesn't have detachable cables. 

I want detachable, durable cables because my Sony MDR-EX300 broke when I twisted the cord to much and left it in my ear while sleeping. So I want detachable cables for easy upgrade in case the wire broke.

By the way, any other brands that's within the price range? 

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 26
You've pretty much described the Shure SE215 except the tips. I've used Comply tips with Klipsch and Sennheiser IEMs and I find the Shure foam tips equally good, in fact maybe better because they last a bit longer and can be cleaned with a gentle wipe. The 215 has mildly enhanced bass but it is in no way a bass heavy 'phone. I am definitely no bass head (I mostly listen to choral, orchestral or instrumental music and sometimes classic rock like Jimi Hendrix or Neil Young and Crazy Horse) and I don't feel inclined to apply any EQ with the Shures (when I used cheap Klipsch phones it was essential to EQ to tame the thumping booming bass). The treble is nice and smooth and these 'phones are very easy to listen to for long periods, not in the least tiring. You can bank on needing a new cable sooner or later. Mine lasted a year of being used for several hours daily and often being in while I slept and finally the memory cable wires kinked and broke through the plastic. The 'phones themselves are very robust indeed.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 26
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORECOOL-V2-Dual-Dynamic-High-Fidelity-Professional-IEMs-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/290904065240?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item43bb3bc4d8

Not that we know what it really sounds like but it's an option other than coming with Comply's which doesn't matter since you'd have to buy more Comply's soon enough anyway that including a pair is not make or break nor should it be.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 26
As much as I used to love the UM1 back in the day when I owned them, they don't particularly have good bass response unless you EQ them a little, and they don't have detachable cables either. Right now you could buy are either a pair of UE TF10 if you can find it at the price, or the Earsonics SM1 which has detachable cables and adequate bass response for the price around $99. The SM1s have the advantage of coming with stock comply tips as well. Its not perfect by any means, but you should at least take a look at them. 
smile.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORECOOL-V2-Dual-Dynamic-High-Fidelity-Professional-IEMs-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/290904065240?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item43bb3bc4d8

Not that we know what it really sounds like but it's an option other than coming with Comply's which doesn't matter since you'd have to buy more Comply's soon enough anyway that including a pair is not make or break nor should it be.

interesting find jant, ...dual dynamic 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 26
Thanks very much. But do you know other brands that's like the SE215'S?

Not at that price, or anywhere even close. The 215s have a combination of good sound quality and good design/function. I haven't heard the Westone UM1 and it's clear that some people prefer it to the similarly priced Shures. But what happens if you damage the cable? Or one of the drivers fails? Or the jack? I can't say that replacing either of the Shure earpieces or the cable is ever going to be super cheap or enjoyable but at least it can be done, and you can find the cables cheap if you hunt around.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
IMO TDK-BA200 are supperior sounding IEMs with good bass response, great midrange, clear highs and wide open soundstage.

^^ This, for the money if you're looking to spend a little extra over $100 you can't beat the overall quality of sound for the price compared to the SE215 and UM1 which you're considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back