Recommendations please: IEM - $200-300 - Primary Use: Excercising/Gym and Commuting - Taste: Alternative Rock- Neutral/Flat
Dec 15, 2010 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Steve987654321

New Head-Fier
SuperFi 5 Pro cable just gave up the ghost. Can't find a replacement online.

Need an IEM in the $200-300 range that:
  1. Has the sound quality one would expect at this mid-level price point (bass punch, solid mid's, detailed highs, some soundstage, some texture)
  2. Is tough enough to last more than a year with daily gym/exercising activity
  3. Doesn't stick out as much as the SuperFi 5s
  4. Has great isolation
  5. Low microphonics

Had E4Cs before the SuperFi 5s - liked the fit, but the mids lacked body to me.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 3
You might look at Sleek Audio's SA6 plus the W-1 wireless system.  It helps get the cords out of the way.  They will be coming out with their SA6R and SA7 units soon.  The SA6R is basically a physically updated version of the SA6 using a new, more rugged chassis.  It might be worth waiting for, although you might try picking up a used SA6 on the cheap to see if you will like them or not.  A used pair can be gotten for $120 or less pretty easy and is worth a trial to see if you might consider investing a little more.  My brother uses this setup for running and exercising, and he likes the format.  He's demoed pretty much everything I've ever bought, and he's never been compelled to step away from the SA6 + W-1 combo.

BA earphones tend to have shorter notes, so texturing is often crisp and light at best.  The UE earphones are one of the few exceptions that tend to offer a thicker, heartier note.  The SA6 does have a clean BA-esque note, but is more natural than most of the super short, too clean notes of many.  The treble on the SA6 is laid back.  The sensitivity is there, but the presence is soft and laid back.  I won't say smooth because it isn't smooth persay, but it's not aggressive.  Coming from the SuperFi 5 Pro, it may not be a big concern.  If you were using the Triple.Fi 10, there would be a more significant change.  The low end will be nothing like the UEs though.  That's one thing the UEs tend to do well although more so with the EB version to my understanding.  The SA6 is incredibly compact and light.  Isolation is excellent.  Microphonics are very good.  They are designed more for deep insertion.  The mids are very good with the SA6.  Low mids are excellent too with good body.  It doesn't really roll off till under 100Hz, so the midrange remains well defined.  The sound is very likable  and quite natural, more so than most.  The presence is open and airy and very transparent.  It's very good for what it is, but there is the obvious limitation of a single BA driver for frequency response coverage, but it does well.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 3
MVW2,

That's a very interesting suggestion. I've managed to wear out/break the cables on prior IEMs, so going wireless might be the solution.   I'd tried the Motorola bluetooth headphones quite some time ago but the sound quality was very poor.  I see that the Kleer standard address some of those issues. 

I guess I should also filter for phones with replaceable cables.

Thanks,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back