Recommendations on really clear, deep, and hopefully head shattering bass headphones?
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

jockhater2

Head-Fier
I am looking for some really nice bass headphones.

Now I am new to the whole Hi end headphone area.
I am big on home theatre and car audio is where I shine.

But as far as headphones I have used apple ear buds for about 5 or more years.

Anyways I spoiled myself one day and got a pair of Monster beats studio’s. I really liked the bass.
but I felt that they needed more.

I am not a huge fan over powering highs. Because I mostly listen to metal and I hate when everything gets to high pitched and tinny. But I really like mids and lows.

I was hoping to get some High SPL and Big driver sized headphones.

Over the ear and closed design.
Durable.
And I would really like it if the auxiliary cable was seperate. So if I break the cable I can replace it and not my headphones.

Price range.
$100-350

Also. I currently have a pair of Monster Beats Pro on pre order. But I am not sure if they will have enough bass that I am looking for.

They meet all of my other needs.
Closed ear
durable
detachable auxiliary cable
$350

I guess more DJ or studio styled headphones is what I am looking for.
thank you

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 38
Let me save you a whole bunch of money. Buy the Sony XB700, and EQ them for more bass and mids. The XB700s come with some ridiculous bass, especially when you emphasize it. They work extremely well with EQ-ing, bass boosting and whatnot.

There are many Beats haters here, so get ready for them. I myself haven't had too much experience with Beats, but I do know that from what I heard in all the stores I have tried them on (when they weren't broken due to their crappy ass build quality), they are easily bested by headphones worth 1/3 their price. Most of the hate is due to them being ridiculously overpriced for no apparent reason other than having Dre's name on it.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 38
I haven't heard them for myself yet, but many people say that the Denon AH-D5000's have insane bass in terms of quantity, so much so some mod them to lower the bass. You can pick up a used pair for around 300. Looking to get a pair myself soon.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 38
x2 for the D2000. They aren't the clearest or most detailed phone in the hi-fi world, but they're worlds more detailed than the Beats By Dre.

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 38
I agree the monster headphones are overpriced. but like i said. $350 or under is my only requirement. I dont mind paying for an overpriced product as long as I get what I want.

Well I said I listing to mostly metal and I really like to feel the kick pedal. I have been a huge bass whore ever since I put my car audio set up together.
And I do have a lot of hip hop too. But just in all my music I like to hear clear and good bass.

Well I have the beats pro on order. I could cancel it. But I really want to give them a try and sell them if I don’t like them. I paid $350 for them and now you can’t find them for less than $400. So I can easily sell them and not lose money.

It just sucks at the moment because all I have is apple earbuds and I haven’t really been listening to music lately.

Also a big thing I am looking for is that the auxiliary cable be seperate. So if it breaks I don’t have to replace my headphones I can just replace the cable. That’s the #1 thing I have noticed in the monster headphones that I like. And I know other companies do it. I am just having a hard time finding them.

Well I could go to bestbuy and buy a pair of those XB700s. Try them out. And if I don’t like them. I’ll just return them. Thank you for the advice. I’ll give those a shot.

Those Denon ADH2000s I wish had the seperate cable. So I’ll have to pass on those. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 38
ATH-PRO700 by Audio Technica.

see these don’t seem bad. They have large drivers. But once again I wish the auxiliary cord could come disconnected.

Anybody own or try these here?

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 38
Beats Pros has deeper, stronger bass than any other headphones i've tried. Quality is a LOT better than the Beats Studios. These cans actually produce pretty decent mids(the studios had no mids) and somewhat crisp highs as well. i got mine for 319.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 38

Quote:
Beats Pros has deeper, stronger bass than any other headphones i've tried. Quality is a LOT better than the Beats Studios. These cans actually produce pretty decent mids(the studios had no mids) and somewhat crisp highs as well. i got mine for 319.

It's time for you to try some other headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 38
Someone beat me to suggesting the XB700. I do not recommend the Dr. Dre headphones for this reason:

Now, frequency response graphs should generally be taken with a grain of salt (for the reason that one's ear has its own "frequency response" unique to the person), but with such a huge discrepancy, it's hard to say otherwise. With a falloff like that, Monster is betting their money that most of their customers aren't into serious bass. Now, if you want the power of a kick pedal (that is a strong sound wave compression, a powerful movement of air) you would be looking at sound frequencies approaching subsonic levels (20 Hz and below). You would need to provide a lot of current to the Dre's to get them to produce the same amount of subsonic bass as the other 3 headphones listed (amplification, equalization (probably parametric), convolving, etc...) and you would be distorting the input sound signal extraordinarily just to reach the same levels that the other three headphones provide "characteristically." I couldn't care less about their cost (that is if they are good), but when a company slaps a name like "Monster Beats" on their headphones and they clearly don't deliver, it makes me (insert profanity) angry
angry_face.gif
. Seriously though, it's falloff is worse than the SRH440:

I can get some decent subsonic bass from the SRH440, but nowhere close to (I repeat: nowhere close to) the amount the XB700 can output, plus, the XB700 does so without distortion. And I'll say this, as I've said many times before, the SRH440 were not made to deliver "Monster Beats," but when those airy cans out perform something that has the name "Monster Beats," I can't help but be a little upset can I
frown.gif
? Any bass delivered through the Monster Beats is superficial. On the XB700, drum kicks in "Operation Ground and Pound" by Dragonforce and "A Little Piece of Heaven" by Avenged Sevenfold actually have substance. They sound like completely different songs on the XB700 than on the SRH440. So, if you're serious about wanting deep, strong bass, I would suggest canceling your order of the Dre's and taking a look at some other alternatives:

You list a detachable cable is a requirement, both the SRH750DJ and 650 have that, but the Denon's cable is pretty long, however the XB700 has a pretty short cable and I have accidentally tugged on it quite hard (I'm afraid one of these days it's going to snap). As far as bass quantity in the other frequencies go, many people have noted that the XB500 have better mid and upper bass than the XB700 in terms of quantity, but that the XB700 dominates in sub-bass; the XB700 is also noted for having better sound quality outside of bass than the XB500. I do not know much about the AT can's, sorry. Anyway, aesthetics is also an important factor to consider when purchasing headphones. If it is that strong for you, then by all means, get the Dres (I do have to admit, they are best looking headphones among the ones I've listed IMO, with the Ultrasones a close second). But remember, you won't be looking at your headphones when you're using them.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 38
"So if it breaks I don’t have to replace my headphones I can just replace the cable." - if this is the only reason you are preferring phones with a detachable cable, you should definitely consider the D2000s. Their cable is very strong (and long). And if it comes to SQ, IMO they are nothing short of stellar for their price.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 38
If mentioning rare headphones is allowed, AKG Sextets and sextet clones like the Philips N6330 have some impressive bass. I am sometimes surprised by the bass delivery of some old studio headphones which are usually built to last anyway. Sometimes a headphone needs a recable as WayTooCrazy proved with his HD428. 

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #15 of 38
I ended up buying a pair of the sony XB500s just to try them out. They were only $60. They actually blow my mind for the bass quantity. But I tried the best buy solo hds. And they have better kick pedal response for metal. I can feel the kick pedal better on the solos. So I am probably going to go with them. But these sonys are AMAZING for their price. Sub sonic bass isnt a big deal to me. But I will test these sonys for frequencys under 20hertz and post another comment on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back