Recommendations on next headphone?
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IIMaxII

New Head-Fier
I currently use a Sennheiser HD 380 Pro and want something more/better/different. All my listening will be done on my computer so closed or open doesn't really matter. I will be mainly listening to Power Metal, Pop, Heavy Metal, and some Rap. I think the best sound that I've ever heard out of personal preference was out of my Etymotic HF5's so I'm assuming that I enjoy a flat response and clarity on the high end, so I'd like a full sized headphone that's similar but an upgrade in sound quality from my HD 380 Pro.

I have researched and it seems some people recommend Grado's but that doesn't seem right because I'm not a basshead which some of their headphones seem to have afaik. If anyone can help me in making my decision it would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what the next step up is. I'd like to preferably spend less than $400. Thanks.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 5
The DT880's look appealing to me. :)
Not sure which model I should get since there's multiple with higher and lower OHM's. I'm assuming the higher amount of OHMs models would be better quality, since they need more energy?

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Mr Speakers mad dog
Denon D2000
AKG K550
Beyerdynamic DT770/880

Mad Dogs- VERY warm yet neutral where nice with Rock and Rap when I Had them
Dennon D2000- wooden cups right? Wooden Closed Headphones do rock really nice
Akg K550- Just got this, is great for like EVERYTHING. Basically it is a closed Dt 880 with a slightly smaller sound stage and more balanced Treble
Never Heard the Dt 770

The Dt 880 Pro 250 ohm is like my FAVORITE CAN EVER, it struggled with rock and some times wasn't as warm for Hip Hop as I wanted but was excellent with everything,

Might I also Recommend a look at the ATH AD series, or the ATH w1000x... actually the w1000x might be your best bet. It has the Highs of the Dt 880, the mids n bass of a D2k and the comfort of a Mad Dog, still... new it's about $439 ish... you might be able to score one Used here on Head Fi right under your budget, although JMoney and L3000 Pads along with a Purrin Mod, make the w1000x well epic to say the least, and without those mods the Akg K550 and Dt 880 might be leaner and more enjoyable [but with the Mods the w1000x is a master of everything] Still a stock w1000x will do rock wonderfully! While having the great vocals! More so than the Mad Dog, K550 or Dt 880 [I've owned all 3...  and currently own the Akg K550 and w1000x]

Oh also the Beyerdyanmic Dt 990, has a little more bass which is nice in Rap, Pop and Metal, it's also pretty dang cheap! [And I own that can as well, it sits next to my Akgs and Ath's <3 [trust me I use them just a much] 

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Again I'm not a bass lover, I prefer treble and a wide soundstage. I like my crystal clear. I want to be able to hear all the instruments and even though sound of the guitarist picking the strings. :p Over exaggerating...but hopefully that gives you an idea of my listening, and I don't listen to a lot of rap.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Again I'm not a bass lover, I prefer treble and a wide soundstage. I like my crystal clear. I want to be able to hear all the instruments and even though sound of the guitarist picking the strings. :p Over exaggerating...but hopefully that gives you an idea of my listening, and I don't listen to a lot of rap.

In that case the AKG K550 and Dt 880 are right up your alley. And yea I LOVE the sound of a pick again'st a guitar string! Still the Dt 880 are harder to amp, so unless you already have an amp the Akg K550 might be better. 

Still Trust me, with a good amp the Dt 880 is my favorite over the K550, but that is because I like a little more energy in my treble, the AKG K550 is Neutral as is the Beyer Dt 880, although the Beyer has slighty more treble.

As far as sound stage goes, for a closed can the Akg K550 has a good sound stage, still the Beyer Dt 990 has more sound stage, and... the Dt 880 may have the same if not a little more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back