Recommendations on Desktop Amp to drive HD650 $300-$400
Jan 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

snoop_005

Head-Fier
I have a pair of HD650 coming and I'm looking for the best amp that I can get for around $300-$400 range. I will be using my computer as a source with a Asus Xonar D2X card which already is equiped with good internals so DAC/AMP combo is not necessary. I'm looking for an amp that can get the most of the HD650.

I'm looking at LD MKIV, MKIV SE (whats the difference? comes with better tubes?), DarkVoice 332 and 336i.

Is there anything else thats should be on my list?

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoop_005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of HD650 coming and I'm looking for the best amp that I can get for around $300-$400 range. I will be using my computer as a source with a Asus Xonar D2X card which already is equiped with good internals so DAC/AMP combo is not necessary. I'm looking for an amp that can get the most of the HD650.

I'm looking at LD MKIV, MKIV SE (whats the difference? comes with better tubes?), DarkVoice 332 and 336i.

Is there anything else thats should be on my list?

HI!
The MKIV and MKIVse are different internally. The se has a different board and better components. On the exterior, it has a better jack, better connections in the rear and a different volume knob. The MKIVse also comes with a two year warranty instead of the usual one year. What is excellent about Little-Dot, is the entire new MK series of amps are overachievers. There just isn't a better deal for the money, IMHO. I hope this helps some!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoop_005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information...i just paypal David for the MKIV SE.

So the IV and the IV SE both uses the same types of tube?

Thanks

The default tubes on the se are the Russian power tubes and the Mullard driver tubes. From the guys that have purchased in the last month, they say these are fantastic tubes right out of the box!
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Just get the DV332... and... don't look back.

You'll be very pleased!

Otherwise... plan on getting a Singlepower at 3 or 4 times the cost.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

What is excellent about Little-Dot, is the entire new MK series of amps are overachievers. There just isn't a better deal for the money, IMHO.

Have you actually compared these to any out of the Darkvoice series?
While I don't doubt the Little dot makes great amps, shouldn't you compare them to others before telling people that there isn't a better deal for the money?

Don't mean to attack you or anything
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jona.p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you actually compared these to any out of the Darkvoice series?
While I don't doubt the Little dot makes great amps, shouldn't you compare them to others before telling people that there isn't a better deal for the money?

Don't mean to attack you or anything
tongue.gif

Not actually. When each model continues to go way beyond everyone's expectations (not just mine), that says a lot all by itself. When within the same series, the lowest out performs the expectations of the next higher, and the next higher out performs the expectations of the next higher and so on, there is obviously something incredible going on with the new series. Comparative reviews outside the series, are not necessary to establish that an "overachieving" performance exists.

I have never spoken out against Dark Voice amps, or compared them directly or indirectly to Little-Dot amps. I really can't. As a reviewer, this would be stomping on holy ground and I just won't do it, unless I have one in front of me. Now, if I were rich (don't I wish
smily_headphones1.gif
) I might entertain this for everyones benefit, but the budget has been fairly exhausted at least for a while.
biggrin.gif

If someone wants to send me a unit for review, I would be glad to give it a fair and balanced review. But, I have a feeling that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back