Recommendations: IEMs for a girl who runs
Dec 16, 2010 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jogabonito10

New Head-Fier
First of all I am not an audiophile, so my knowledge is um very limited.  I am looking for IEMs that I will use primarily for running on a treadmill and I am willing to spend approximately $150.  It is important that these IEMs are noise isolating.  I currently use the seinnheiser mx 85.  They are too big for my ears and my new gym is so loud that I have to turn the volume on my ipod full blast to barely hear the music.  I am a girl and my ears are small, so based on preliminary research I am thinking that a flange (etymotic style) tip will give me the best fit for noise isolation.  I am also concerned about the quality of the sound. I mostly listen to house/trance/techno music.  The brands/models I have been looking at are: etymotic mc5/er6i/hf5, westone 1, klipsch s4, shure se115.  Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 8
try and buy something cheap in the 50$ area , chances are you will break them soon enough if used only for running in the gum.

Then again , your money your call.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Sony MDR-EX32 - Bass heavy very good sound for it's price, one of the smallest IEMs I've seen and it's really cheap now, good for gym use

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 8
Phonak Audeo 012 with the Phonak Silicone Ear Guides and Shure Olives: <150$, noise blocking, light, comfortable and with the ear guides they won't fall out if the cable is snagged while running.

They sound pretty good too.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 8
When using IEMs for running, its all going to depend on fit.  Lesser IEMs with a perfect fit will be better than the best universals with a poor fit or constantly loosing fit due to the movement. 

For me, this was the Westone design.  They fit very snug and didn't lose their seal.  

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 8
This site is funny.  I've posted threads and have a hard time getting people to reply with their opinions/advice and have seen other threads that had been around quite a while with like one or two replies.  A girl makes a thread and everyone wants to help out lol. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 8
I use Westone UM1's when working out. They fit nice and stay in and I'm using triple-flange tips, not comply.  Wipe them down and put them in the carry case and you're good to go.  Had them for 3 years and the cable has been yanked on many a time, catching on various gym equipment.  Can't speak for the build quality of the Westone 1 since I think they're made in China, but the UM1's I have were made in the USA and have the "twisted" cable that isn't replaceable. Great sound quality for a single driver, can't stand to listen to anything else with any bass boost now that I've used these. Very clean sound, not fatiguing at all. No noise travels up the cable when running either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back