Recommendations for open headphones $150-350
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ddejong18

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am new to the site but have very much appreciated they information everyone provides.  I am looking to get a decent set of open headphones in the range of $150-350 ish.  I listened to a wide range of music genres, and honestly don't have enough experience to say what qualities I prefer in headphones.  Thus, I am looking for some general advice anyone has.  I do appreciate some bass presence, but understand open phones will naturally not have any crazy strong low end performance.  I have a portable amp but will primarily listen plugged into a decently substantial desktop rig with external sound card.  I know the price range is fairly broad, and although I am not looking to spend a ton of money I also do not want to waste money getting headphones with only marginal improvements in sound quality.  

In the limited experience I have with better than crap headphones, I have been underwhelmed by a few cheaper sennheiser models, though admitantly these were probably not adequately powered and not burned in.  I currently have a set of ATH m50, which I like very much, and am looking to experience open phones as well.  

Thanks in advance to everyone here.  Having a bunch of random interests, I get on a bunch of different forums covering all sorts of topics, and the members here have impressed me with their knowledge, insight, and respect for other members.  

- Dan

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Get a used HD600 for $200 and spend the rest on a bang for your buck amp.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Those will do. Since you already have the amp, all you need is the headphones and you're all set. I'd suggest the HD600 or HD650. Read the comparions to decide which would suit you better, but both of them are very good all rounders.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Look into:
HD600*
DT880*
DT990*
HFI-780
D2000

Headphones marked with * require a good desktop amp to sound their best.
These doesn't mean you won't enjoy them though.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Look into:
HD600*
DT880*
DT990*
HFI-780
D2000

Headphones marked with * require a good desktop amp to sound their best.
These doesn't mean you won't enjoy them though.

The D2000 is a closed headphone. At your price range I would definitely recommend the AKG 701/702, DT990 or HD600. I've listened to all of them and to me the AKG trumps all of them. Soundstage is unmatched and highs are fluid. The bass is a little lean so if you prefer a headphone with a little more bass look in the DT990. The HD600 is a good neutral, laid-back can. 

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Be aware that DT990 have bright highs and DT880 while having no brightness are not as detailed as DT990 are. Also I'm not sure if your amp can handle K702/1 and while i don't own any i heard them thru two different setups costing several times more than yours and only when connected to tube amp the sounded the way i was looking for. I own and love and defenetely can recomend HD650 or some people prefer HD600 but i compared my HD650 with balanced version of H600 conected to balanced amp but still prefer HD650. Also after you try and decide to keep HD600/650 i would recomend to get aftermarket cable

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Another vote for a Sennheiser HD600.  Or if you're like me and a bit picky about looks, keep your eyes open for a minty HD580 and put some HD600/650 grilles on them.

I love mine so much I bought another pair last week so I'd have a spare set.   The price vs. performance is nothing short of miraculous imo.  But then, my perspective may be skewed. There was a time when I'd never think of spending over $100 on a pair of headphones.

Edit: and don't bother with aftermarket cables.  Go buy $200 worth of lottery tickets (provided you're over 18).  You'll most likely get nothing for your money but it's still a better way to spend a couple of Benjamins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back