Recommendations for first headphones
Sep 19, 2011 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zombeh

New Head-Fier
So my pc speakers have shorted out, I've decided to get my first full sized headphones instead of a new speaker set.

My price range is around 50-75, willing to go a bit over.

I have never bought any headphones over 20 bucks and I can't find a place I can try on any headphones other than beats.

One important feature is comfort.  I want to be able to listen without pain or discomfort, I also can't stand cans that get too hot and sweaty over my ears (I do acknowledge you can change pads).  It doesn't have to be like sex sitting on my head, just comfortable enough to not be irritating.  Music takes priority, I mostly listen to rock/metal/electronic/ambient.  I also would be using them for games.  I am looking for a more ambient and theater quality sound for my games, I don't play competitively so not being able to hear footsteps and positioning isn't much of a problem, but a good soundstage does sound interesting.  It doesn't matter if they're open/closed cups.  I'll be using them at home so they don't have to be portable.

I was looking at the AD700s everybody recommends, the audio quality everybody talks about almost had me sold, but the lack of bass that gives sort of an oomph turned me away.  I don't want overpowering bass that will hurt my ears, but I don't want a complete lack of either.  I heard ad700s make machineguns in game sound like tin-cans.  I also won't be using an amp anytime soon.

Some people have recommended me the sony mdr-v6 and jvc harx700/900, I have no idea about them.  I looked into 60i/80is, I heard they were bad for gaming.

I doubt that I'm going to be able to get all that I want for phones within my price range.  I've came here because everybody here seems to have great tastes.

Help is very appreciated, shopping without help is proving to be too frustrating.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 12
Despite the lack of bass the AD700 are still fantastic headphones. They are very comfortable, good for gaming, have good audio clarity and a huge sound stage. They aren't as engaging as other headphones though, it's more as if you're watching the music sometimes rather than being a part of it. I loved every minute I had them though. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 12
Heya,

No bass is a deal breaker for you, you saw correctly, and they are bass shy. I would move on from there to other options.

Check out the Panasonic RP-HTF600. It has a good sound stage, even though it's closed, very warm and musical headphone with smooth treble. It's comfortable and good and ruggedly built. It's inexpensive, but doesn't sound nor is built like something inexpensive, which is surprising. It's quite a gem, so take a moment and see if it interests you.

The Koss UR 55 Studio Pulse is an open-air headphone that can be bassy and warm, but also has pretty good mids and treble, it can be a bit bright at higher volumes. It's decently comfortable and has foam pads and usually is pretty inexpensive (I had picked one up for $35 on sale at Amazon). The cord is short, so I would get an extension, but otherwise has a good sound and sound stage and is great for immersion and general listening pleasure.

Also look into perhaps the Sony V6, JVC HARX700 & 900, and HTF890's.

Very best,

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 12
The RX700's and 900's are both good options in your price range. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 12
Just get the sony XB500. it can be found for around 40-50$ and it's got a good amount of bass. For your first pair, get accustomed to a specific sound signature. That way, you'll have something to compare to when you get your upgrade and the difference might be more noticeable

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Just get the sony XB500. it can be found for around 40-50$ and it's got a good amount of bass. For your first pair, get accustomed to a specific sound signature. That way, you'll have something to compare to when you get your upgrade and the difference might be more noticeable

Yes, they are good. But if the Op is a fps gamer, they are not very accurate. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Maybe you should try the HD558, and mod them to HD598. I started with the HD555, which were a bit bass-light, but i heard that the HD558 fixes that.
Also, they are extremely comfortable and being open, they won't get hot and sweaty

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 12
Well, this is Head-Fi aka Wallet Hell, so save some money and get a pair of HD558s, pop them open and you'll have a great set of allround cans, very good with all kinds of music and with a very realistic soundstage. If you buy cheap, you'll just end up upgrading. Don't think you won't.. :)

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 12
You're on head-fi - skip the tentative pain and just fork out for some HD-650s and an E9 amp.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Well, this is Head-Fi aka Wallet Hell, so save some money and get a pair of HD558s, pop them open and you'll have a great set of allround cans, very good with all kinds of music and with a very realistic soundstage. If you buy cheap, you'll just end up upgrading. Don't think you won't.. :)

This is a graduation present, so until I can get my finances settled and get some senns I really can't up the price range to that of 558s.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 12
Althoughh it's fairly rare considering the HD558s are pretty new, see if you can find some on the for sale forum here. It'll cost around $100 if you do

Quote:
This is a graduation present, so until I can get my finances settled and get some senns I really can't up the price range to that of 558s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back