Recommendations for Closed back over the ear cans for <100
Mar 31, 2013 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

denclock

New Head-Fier
I am new to head-fi, but I have been lurking for a bit. I like good sound like everyone, my recent foray was prompted by the crap sound quality of my Idevices.  I just got the Fiio E6 in the mail, and I think I am going to like it.  I have these headphones Klipsch S4i, Iem Beats that someone gave me, AT ath-m20. I am pretty pleased with the s4is' but I want to get another over the ear set.  I am wanting a good balanced sound with a litttle bass, but I want it to be crisp, and enough to enjoy, but nothing over bass-y..  Instead of putting the ones that I have looked at, I would just like some suggestions.  I am sure a few have Idevices, fiio e6, and the good cans. I would like some that isolated somewhat, my m20s isolate very little.  I don't have a ton of money to spend.  I would like to stay at $100 (us), or less.  Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 10
I believe the Audio Technica M50's are on sale right now for 99.99 (maybe check on the deals thread).  If not, the Creative Aurvana Live's are also one of my all time favorite closed back headphones and is a great buy at around 70 dollars.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 10
If you can't get the ATH-M50 on sale, the ATH-M30/ATH-M35 are great and will probably benefit nicely from the e6. My ATH-M35 amped with E11 vs. unamped is what I would consider a night and day difference.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 10
If you're on a tight budget, though, your best option would be to wait until a sale comes along. Keep a few headphones you'd want to buy in mind, and check the deals thread regularly. It shouldn't be too long until something you want becomes available at a good price.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 10
 nbohaychuk, I have a pair of M20, and using the lineout dock to my fiio E6 makes a big difference from straight from Iphone headphone jack. Would the M30 be a huge jump in quality? Sorry, if that is a dumb question.  

Tsujigirl, I may end up doing that. I am cheap by nature, and I want a decent set to use with my fiio.  So time may be required.  

Thanks everyone for advice so far.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
 nbohaychuk, I have a pair of M20, and using the lineout dock to my fiio E6 makes a big difference from straight from Iphone headphone jack. Would the M30 be a huge jump in quality? Sorry, if that is a dumb question.  

Tsujigirl, I may end up doing that. I am cheap by nature, and I want a decent set to use with my fiio.  So time may be required.  

Thanks everyone for advice so far.

I don't know if it'll be a big upgrade, but I like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back