Recommendations for a new set of headphones?
Aug 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

N3wF4ll

New Head-Fier
Hey there, Head-Fi! I'm new here, so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section, but I'm desperate for some help. You see, up until about 2 weeks ago, I, as ashamed as I am to admit it, was a Skullcandy fan. Yes, yes, I know it's depressing, but now that my fifth pair has been broken, I figured I'd break down and consult some people with an actual knowledge of headphones.

So my question is, are there any particular kinds of headphone I should pick up? Unfortunately my budget is only about $70-80, but I've been hearing good things about the Grado SR-60i's on the forums here. At the moment, those are my main choice, but I'm open to any suggestions you guys (and gals) would like to make.

A large preemptive thanks,
Yours truly,

N3wF4ll

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 9
I listen to just about everything, from indie-folk to dubstep to post-hardcore, so while a good bass would be nice, something with a good all-around performance is something important. And I listen to my music mostly in transit, around six to seven hours a day, and many of these places are relatively loud, so I need something that can keep up.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 9
The Grado SR-60s are excellent headphones, and a great bargain, but I'm not sure they're right for you.  They're on-ear headphones, which means that they offer almost no noise isolation.  If you're listening in noisy environments, you'll probably want a closed-back "circumaural" headphone.  You might be able to find the Sennheiser HD 280 in your price range; it offers good sound and isolates you pretty well from outside noise.  DON'T just turn the music up to drown out background noise--you'll go deaf!!!

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I listen to just about everything, from indie-folk to dubstep to post-hardcore, so while a good bass would be nice, something with a good all-around performance is something important. And I listen to my music mostly in transit, around six to seven hours a day, and many of these places are relatively loud, so I need something that can keep up.

The grados are definitely not for you.  They're extremely open cans;  not only will you hear everything around you, but everyone else will hear you as well.  The bass is also not going to impress you for some of those genres.  Check out the AKG K518DJ / k81DJ.  You might also want to take a peek at the portables section here if you're open to using IEMs as you're likely to get greater isolation for your money.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks, guys! While I liked all of your suggestions, I'm mostly debating between the K518DJ's and the K81's, but I was wondering if there are any issues with the fit, because I have a relatively large head. And if you guys can think of any other suggestions, feel free!

P.S. If there are any accessories that you would recommend for me to purchase with my headphones, just let me know. And I mostly listen to music on my Zune (120GB), if that makes any difference.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Thanks, guys! While I liked all of your suggestions, I'm mostly debating between the K518DJ's and the K81's, but I was wondering if there are any issues with the fit, because I have a relatively large head. And if you guys can think of any other suggestions, feel free!

P.S. If there are any accessories that you would recommend for me to purchase with my headphones, just let me know. And I mostly listen to music on my Zune (120GB), if that makes any difference.

They're basically the same headphone albeit color and I think cord length.  Errr- they definitely won't be comfort friendly for particularly large ears, as they sit on top and require clamping force to stay on.  They're also not going to isolate the best (I either missed the part about loudness in your post or that's what the edit is)

Would you consider using IEMs?  You're likely going to get more isolation and a better fit in general for your budget.  There's a thorough comparison of an ungodly amount here.

If not, look around locally and see if you can try on a pair of creative aurvana live.  You'll get a lot more comfort than with the K81/K518 if they fit you.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 9
I'd personally prefer headphones, but that may just be because I don't have any real experience with IEM's, so I guess I'd be open to trying them. Which kinds would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back