Recommendations for a brighter/more fun set of closed cans in the sub $250 range?
Nov 14, 2010 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pandaemonium

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi'ers, hopefully this is in the correct forum and not going against any rules:

As the topic title suggests, I am looking for a brighter/fun pair of closed back headphones in the sub $250 range. I am a huge Grado fan, and while I know its not realistic to look for a closed back can that has similar qualities, I figure the experts here could help me get as close as possible 
tongue_smile.gif

Here is the setup from where the headphones will be running from: ALAC/FLAC/high bitrate mp3 ---> laptop/iPod ---> Pico AMP/DAC ---> mystery headphones

I currently use a pair of Grado RS1s and RE0s for listening otherwise and enjoy them both tremendously - I don't know if that would be of help but I figured that I would include that, anyway. Portability isn't a big issue - I just want a way to keep my ears warm and the people around me not annoyed!

Thanks for any advice listed.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 8
now im no expert but i've converted from grado to ultrasone after purchasing a pair of 750 pros with a kees mod. It sounds very familiar to my ears, just not as airy. Did I mention the bass? the bass is back!

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Man I gotta try some Ultrasones at some point. Bright and bassy sounds awesome (hence why I love my 990s).

If I don't end up loving the DT770/600 (not that I got them for their bass, but because I wanted a closed yet balanced headphone), I may end up with some Ultrasones in the future.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 8
I had the Pro 750s for a month or two.  They were also bright and bassy (and, admittedly, more comfortable than the 780s), but they reminded me of a Logitech 2.1 system I had:  good highs, good lows, not much in the middle.  I haven't compared the two directly, but from my brief audition with the 780s, I think they're better balanced.  Clarity was excellent, as was bass response, and the mids didn't seem to suffer at the expense of the other two.  I returned them for an exchange, due to a buzzing in the left driver, but I've heard other pairs, and I think this is just a fluke; they sound great to me.  I'm looking forward to getting a new pair back in a week or two, so I can compare them more to my HD600s and my incoming DT990/600s.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 8

FWIR...

I suggest considering the Goldring DR150 or Sennheiser HD25-1 II. The DR150 probably sounds brighter, and the HD25-1 II more fun. 

Quote:
As the topic title suggests, I am looking for a brighter/fun pair of closed back headphones in the sub $250 range. I am a huge Grado fan, and while I know its not realistic to look for a closed back can that has similar qualities, I figure the experts here could help me get as close as possible
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back