Recommendation: Q-Jays or SE535 for an extra $100
May 28, 2011 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chengilang

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Is the SE535 worth an extra $100 to Q-Jays? I listen to all kinds of music except country, so a well-rounded IEM would be great. However, a majority of the music I listen does involve bass. So what's everyone's opinion?

Thanks

May 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 8
Shure SE535 are very well rounded IEMs and they are definitaly upgrade over Q-Jays with great midrange clarity, good bass.

May 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 8
I was hoping you would say Q-Jays, because I like the styling better. I hope headphone/IEM manufactures make more white colored top tier IEM like the AKG K701 headphones. They are beautiful.

Thanks for the input, I'll probably go with the SE535 then.

May 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 8
SE535 sounds better, but Q-jays are also very good. Q-jays are brighter, more enthusiastic in the treble and so may sound more involving with some music. The choice between the two thus also largely depends on personal preferences. Both do bass very well. If you like your treble sparkly however, Q-jays may be a better option. Go with SE535 if you don't mind/prefer lush mids and an overall warm, laid back sound.

May 29, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 8
SE535 are definitely better than the q-JAYS..and the difference is well worth the extra $100.

To my ears the 535 are slightly less veiled and still manage to bring out the details in the upper part of the range, without any of the q-JAYS sibilance. q-JAYS mids are also quite a lot recessed when compared with 535.

Obviously on their own, they would both sound like great IEMs, but when compared A/B, the 535s are definitely a notch above.

May 29, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 8
You can also consider the CK10, W4 & ER4, all a step above the q-JAYS in my opinion. I wish the q-JAYS mids were a little more forward and the highs a little smoother. For sheer comfort and for sleeping the q-JAYS has them beat.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 8
SE535 sounds better IMO, but whether or not it is worth the extra cost is a matter of personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back