Jeff Buckley
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #32 of 66
Jennifer Warnes [famous Blue Raincoat]
Kate Bush [The Kick Inside]
Katie Melua [Pictures]
Laura Pausini [Laura Pausini - her first album]

And, to throw something odd into the equation, the main singer in Judas Priest has a massive array of vocals. They're worth listening to... at least twice...
smily_headphones1.gif

I've just realised I rank female vocals far higher than male vocals. Wonder whether this is typical for Head-Fry members?

~Phewl

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #34 of 66
Frederica von Stade, Bryn Terfel, José van Dam (My Idol), Anything from Chanticleer, particularly recordings from ~1992-2002.

This may come as a surprise after my first set of recommendations: Leona Lewis, this girl is very good, probably the best pop singer since the first couple Maria albums.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just realised I rank female vocals far higher than male vocals. Wonder whether this is typical for Head-Fry members?

~Phewl

The most beautiful vocals from my experience are the female ones. If a male tries to sing like a female the results are usually not pleasant (*cough LaBrie cough*).

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most beautiful vocals from my experience are the female ones ...

Nah Youn Sun.

Korean jazz singer. Don't miss this.

If her Heart of Glass (no, not the Blondie song, something entirely different just sharing a title, nothing else) does not bring a tear to your eye, you're made of stone. Assuming your system can handle the highs (violin) without breaking up or adding shrillness. (One of my amps couldn't).

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #38 of 66
Nobody mentioned Sarah McLachlan yet so I'll throw her name into the mix. I could listen to her voice all day (and occasionally do just that). Another plus:most of her stuff seems to be well recorded.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #39 of 66
If you're looking for female vocals these are top of my personal list:

Yasmin Levy
Emiliana Torrini
Julie London
Vienna Teng

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Chet Baker...

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #41 of 66
2nd: Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley"

If you want to hear a powerful trained classical voice try Cecilia Bartoli " Lascia chio planga."

Oh, and Melody Gardot - I think I just like the music as much as her voice....

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #43 of 66
I like Leonard Cohen, he's voice is sooo deep and powerful. It's rough and velvet and it goes deep into your soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back