Recommend me some phenomenal vocals
Aug 5, 2008 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
I need some phenomenal vocals in my collection, and when I say phenomenal, I meant more than just Freddie Mercury level of phenomenal, I mean Ella Fitzgerald/Anneke van Giersbergen level of phenomenal. Not that Freddie isn't great, but I want the very best.

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some phenomenal vocals in my collection, and when I say phenomenal, I meant more than just Freddie Mercury level of phenomenal, I mean Ella Fitzgerald/Anneke van Giersbergen level of phenomenal. Not that Freddie isn't great, but I want the very best.

Well, Ella was the first that came to mind. Sinatra is another obvious one. I think Chris Cornell has some impressive pipes. Don't forget the likes of Renee Fleming or Cecilia Bartoli or Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. There are a ton of jazzers I know I am leaving out. Oh, Joss Stone. And we must never forget the "Queen Of Soul."

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 66
4AD recently put released the full catalog of Dead Can Dance remastered by Mobile Fidelity on dual CD/SACD I think you can find the whole set (8 LPs and 1 EP) for about $160. I can't think of anything better.

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 66
One of my true favorite vocalists is Lea Salonga, here's a small clip of when she was younger,YouTube - Lea Salonga's Audition for Miss Saigon
I've seen and heard live and she sounds simply amazing, hopoe you anjoy her as much as I do.......
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 66
Aug 5, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 66
I'm just gonna throw this out there though maybe he doesn't fit up there with the vocal masters of pop and rock. the band guillemots has a great singer imho.... here is a vid: YouTube - Trains to Brazil

he shows off his vocals a bit more in other songs. this isnt his best BUT his music and lyrics are definitely on the sentimental side so if it makes you feel uncomfortable... sorry lol
tongue_smile.gif

good example of ability but very sentimental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpqfWJ9TERQ&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQR2zias9ek&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n6uV9wqpuU&fmt=18

I admit I do not pay attention to ability as much as I do about overall timbre and aesthetic...

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 66
My Favorites right now are:
  • alison kraus
  • cassandra wilson
  • the holly cole trio
  • ernestine anderson
  • shirley horn

The last two are especially phenomenal. Hope that these help you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsolman6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like prog then its imperative that you give Peter Hammill and Van Der Graaf Generator a try. Yes its dark and dissonant and will scare small children and your girlfriend away but I think they're brilliant:

YouTube - Darkness (11/11) - Van der Graaf Generator

X2

Amicalement

PS
Peter is not getting younger so we dont know how long he will keep doing world's tours. That said I got two freaking good tickets for his next show in Québec. Right for the girlfriend aspect and I'll have to go one more Stacey Kent concert to obtain the Princess pardon.....
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 66
K.D. Lang

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 66
Roy Orbison, a particular favorite of mine is "The Comedians"

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K.D. Lang

Good call-she slipped my mind for some reason. I like "Three Cigarettes In An Ashtray" from Angel With A Lariat, but she must have put out at least 8 or 9 cds by now.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #15 of 66
I know the lure of Maria Callas, but for the shear force of her voice, Joan Sutherland blows my mind. I have a recording of her singing Madam Butterfly. I feel like I am on a roller coaster and my face is being pulled back by the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back