recommend me a DAC + Amp combo for Grado Rs1i <500$
Oct 31, 2010 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lenjaisb

New Head-Fier
I recently bought the Grado Rs1i and i am just looking for an DAC + AMP combo for it. My max budget is around 500$. It will just be a temporarily setup till i get the money to get the mad ear. I was thinking about getting the ibasso d4 or the pico. Anyone have a good sugestion? it doesn't have to be portable. Thanks in advance!

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 11
This comes in way under your budget, but the FiiO E7/E9 combo will drive the RS1i just fine and should offer you a nice neutral reference that you can compare other DAC/AMPs against.

Jack 

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 11
There are literally dozens of options at that price. The NuForce Icon HDP is a great amp/DAC. The Apogee Duet will drive them nicely as well, but you'd need a mac. The ibasso is nice, but the NuForce and Apogee are better options, IMO. The RS1s are easy to drive.

Edit: Just read a review of a head-fi'er (kite7) driving his RS1s with the NuForce: http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-icon-hdp-high-end-headphone-amp-usb-dac-preamp/reviews

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 11
Audio-GD FUN with [size=x-small]WM8741 + Moon HDAM if you want something a bit tubey, [/size][size=x-small]warm and musical...[/size]

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
That looks decent when i googled it until i found the thread of you selling them.

Quote:
Anyone have a trustworthy sugestion?

Ouch, that hurts.
wink.gif
Wasn't it obvious from the signature of my post that we are a FiiO reseller/distributor? I was trying to be helpful by recommending that you take a look at a product that may fit your needs, that and you had received zero responses up to that point and felt the urge to bump your own thread.

Jack

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Audio-GD FUN with [size=x-small]WM8741 + Moon HDAM if you want something a bit tubey, [/size][size=x-small]warm and musical...[/size]

I have the Audio-GD FUN with WM8741 and both Earth and Moon HDAMs. I prefer the neutrality and soundstage of the Earth module when paired with my MS-1i. Moon works better with the less colored M50, giving the Audio Technica a more musical and engaging presentation. I usually leave the Earth module installed as it still works very well with the M50. If I want to color the M50 sound I just go through my RA-1 clone.

If you want versatility the Audio-GD FUN and it's various components is definitely worth considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back