Recommend me a cheap solid state amp
Jun 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cutter

New Head-Fier
Hello!
Please recommend me a solid state amp which I can purchase for under $150 shipped. It would have to be able to power even power-demanding headphones.

Thank you.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 11
Try the USED section for decent Headroom and other SS amps - much better value than getting new.

My two cents.

Good luck!

cheers,
CJ
:)

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
There's a CKKIII for sale right now, if you can stretch to $175 (or negotiate) http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497666/fs-ckkiii that should do the job very nicely..
There is also a dynalo for $205, another solid performer, but that's stretching it  more from a price point of view

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks. I've found a Cute Beyond for sale, but I can't find any info regarding the power output of that amp. Does it drive demanding headphones such as the HD600/HD650's easily? What do you think of that amp compared to the CKKIII and to the Dynalo?

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Firestone Audio - one of our sponsors sells those.  Here are the specs listed on their site:

Specification * Amplifier Structure : Coupling capacitor less, Single-End with Class-A
* Power Structure : Virtual-Ground power supply
* Gain Control : Low (attenuation 20dB) / High (normal)
* Volume Control : Series / shunt mode selectable
* Headphone Impedance : 32 ohm to 600 ohm
* Circuit Protect : Output short / over current protect
* Main OPAmp : TI �V OPA2604
* Servo OPAmp : TI �V TL072

Audio Performance (1kHz sine wave, 2Vrms output)
Frequency response (From 40Hz to 15kHz) : 40Hz +0.01dB, 15kHz -0.02dB
Noise level (1kHz, A-Weighted) : -104.7dB
Dynamic range (1kHz, A-Weighted) : 104.6dB
THD% : 0.0018%
Stereo crosstalk : -90.0dB

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 11
Using the search command on this site, I found a few references to the amp.  All agreed that it ran the 580/600/650 with enough power, although a couple said that the they did not match up well - a very subjective comment.  They specifically said that the amp drove the Senns well, even in the "low gain" setting.

Here is another review of this amp, back when it came out.  Mind you, I don't have this amp, but am considering a SS amp currently, and read your post.  I did own the Firestone Spitfire, and liked it well enough.  Back then you could order off of the Firestone site, and get shipping from the pacific rim, that does not seem to be the case any longer.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/blueberry/trio.html

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 11
If I were you, I'd pick up that used CK2III or Dynalo. Aside from that, your better options would be hunting down a used receiver or going DIY. However, I don't recommend buying an amp before buying headphones. You want to buy the headphones first, then find an amp capable of powering them.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for you replies. The Cute Beyond is still my preferred option at the moment, since one user of this forum has one to sell in Europe. However I'm still unsure if I need the optional Cute Power Supplier with it. Does it improve sound? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back