Recently Purchased comparison: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 vs. Ultrasone DJ1 S-Logic headphones, both preamped click for the winning!
May 13, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 25
I agree with everything the OP said. The M50's midrange to me almost sound like every singer is singing through a plastic tube with a bad case of sinusitis. Ugh you guys are really making me want a pair of 580's now lol. Besides the OP,, have any of you had any issues with your ears fitting inside the ear cups? I have fairly large ears and for some reason whenever I tried the hfi series of ultrasones, only the "oval" ones though, I felt like I had to stuff my ears inside them, which is the only thing holding me back from ordering a pair right now.

May 13, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
I agree with everything the OP said. The M50's midrange to me almost sound like every singer is singing through a plastic tube with a bad case of sinusitis. Ugh you guys are really making me want a pair of 580's now lol. Besides the OP,, have any of you had any issues with your ears fitting inside the ear cups? I have fairly large ears and for some reason whenever I tried the hfi series of ultrasones, only the "oval" ones though, I felt like I had to stuff my ears inside them, which is the only thing holding me back from ordering a pair right now.

I detecting a little bit exaggeration there...

Vocals sound lush and smooth on the M50s, not amazing but not a walk in the park either.

May 13, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #18 of 25

Vocals sound lush and smooth on the M50s, not amazing but not a walk in the park either.

I wish I was exaggerating but honestly they're probably, collectively, my least favorite "head-fi approved" headphones. I forgot to mention they also have a huge amount of closed headphone reverb which only adds to the effect to my ears as outlined in my previous post.

May 13, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

I wish I was exaggerating but honestly they're probably, collectively, my least favorite "head-fi approved" headphones. I forgot to mention they also have a huge amount of closed headphone reverb which only adds to the effect to my ears as outlined in my previous post.

I think you just don't like the sound signature. Personally, the reverb balance in the lower frequencies are pretty good, adding a little bit of "fun" to it, not as tight as the Hfi-580s. Still, I prefer the 580s...

No problems with tight fits though. The only circumaural headphones I had a tight fit with was the Beats Studio, and even then they were pretty comfy.

May 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
Besides the OP,, have any of you had any issues with your ears fitting inside the ear cups? I have fairly large ears and for some reason whenever I tried the hfi series of ultrasones, only the "oval" ones though, I felt like I had to stuff my ears inside them, which is the only thing holding me back from ordering a pair right now.

My ears seem to fit nicely into my 580s. No idea how my ears' size compares to "normal" or anything, though, so....

May 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #23 of 25
I have huge ears and they fit VERY comfortably inside the dj1's. (or 580's, but the 580's may not be as comfort driven?) they are not oval but round, with the right about of clamping pressure. It literally feels like they are a part of my head, and my ears dont rub. The m50's are sweaty and kind of "hang" on the ear. Wasn't that great for longer time periods. I have to agree about the vocal sound on the m50's though, although it is an opinion. I do like the "warm" ness but they simply aren't as detailed as the dj1's. Slightly strange coloring with the AT's that works very well with some songs, and not very good on others. Depends totally on the acoustic signature, and possibly mood.

I plan on trying these both with a preamp to solidify my preferences. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #25 of 25
ok, so the DJ1s are just the 580s ,  but what happen with the DJ1s pro ?? i was going for the m50, but after a few day a note that the hfi 580 A.K.A DJ1s  are a better option for the same price , but now i just realized  that the hfi 580  are the same as DJ1s, which have a PRO  version for just  a couple of more dollars,   oh my god now , I'm so confussssssssssed !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back