Recently Purchased comparison: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 vs. Ultrasone DJ1 S-Logic headphones, both preamped click for the winning!
May 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

maelstrom99

New Head-Fier

Well, I got the m50's about a week ago. Here's my profile, I am a musician producer and drummer. I spend a good time listening to tracks from my laptop for school or for personal work on my macbook pro, and needed some closed ear pseudo-isolated NON-amped closed back full sized headphones. 

Got them in, I was joyous, happy listening ensued and there was much toking for all. 
floatsmile.png

But then I sold my mackie MR8 monitors and wanted.... *ahem* another pair. Went with the ultrasone dj1's.

Long story short, the m50's now sound like korean playtoys when compared to the accuracy and cleanliness of the DJ1's. Anybody that said the m50's are good as monitors are a  joke, or have no idea of what they speak. Some guy on here praised them as the "Yamaha ns-10's of headphones"

Give me a break, at 100 they aren't bad but you can cop the ultrasones for around 149.

Long story short, the m50's have no mids which makes them not for for production me thinks? And the ultrasones are all around tighter. Proportionately the m50 retain more bass, but overall the accuracy of the ultrasones is preferable in pretty much any conceivable setting. Comfort wise, the dj1 is the winner as well with snugly fitted ears versus the kinda slaggy fit of the m50's, I guess they intended it to be more relaxed but it comes off as rubbing on your ears more, and I have a large noggin 
gs1000.gif
 I will keep the m50's for a competent alternate.
happy_face1.gif

[size=large]Winner : Ultrasone DJ1's[/size]

May 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 25
not surprising a ~$150 headphone beats a ~$110 headphone. they are both well recommended for their price ranges. the m50s didn't have raving reviews for mid range to begin with. although, one thing i find weird is why a relatively mid range weak headphone is even marketed as a monitor.

May 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
not surprising a ~$150 headphone beats a ~$110 headphone. they are both well recommended for their price ranges. the m50s didn't have raving reviews for mid range to begin with. although, one thing i find weird is why a relatively mid range weak headphone is even marketed as a monitor.

Exactly my point. Most of the other reviews from m50's mention recessed mids, yet the same phones are hailed as a monitor equivalent? 

Given the price difference the outcome is predictable. But still, a 120 vs 149 is nearly in the same range.

May 8, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 25
M50 has more bass than DJ1?? That's disappointing... I was hoping to try them sometime because many have told me the DJ1(HFI-580) had pretty big bass, more than M50 for sure.

May 8, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 25
M50 has more bass than DJ1?? That's disappointing... I was hoping to try them sometime because many have told me the DJ1(HFI-580) had pretty big bass, more than M50 for sure.

...Wait, the DJ1s are just the 580s with a different look?

May 8, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

...Wait, the DJ1s are just the 580s with a different look?

Yep, and a coiled cable
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 25
I agree with OP here. The HFI580/DJ1 has better detail pickup than the M50 and has tighter bass. However, I'm detecting more bass quanity in the HFI580 than the M50, but I guess this aspect is up to the listener himself. I'm not detecting any noticeable recession in mids though, unless of course I'm A/Bing them with the Superlux HD681F.

F.Y.I., Audio Technica is Japanese, not Korean :p

May 9, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 25
dj1 has more bass overall, m50 has more bass proportionately so it is out of balence with the mids/highs etc that is comparing to itsself NOT to the dj1. Sorry that was porrly worded, the dj1 does have more bass. And I mistitled the thread, they are both unamped!

May 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:

That's misleading. The HFI 580 has FAR more bass impact potential than the M50.

May 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:
Oh gosh

This thread is confusing me

Without EQ, the M50s will sound warmer/bassier. With a good EQ such as the hardware based BBE on Cowon mp3 players, the HFI 580 can push out more bass than the M50s can possibly dream of. The M50s can't compare to the impact potential of the HFI 580 bass impact whether it's EQed or not. Sony XB series headphones can get there, but they lack any real clarity in the upper frequencies.

May 13, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 25
580's have tighter bass tuned to a slightly higher freq.  M50's stay loud a little deeper but the bass is looser.  But IMO all-around the 580s are cleaner sounding, just not the comfiest headphones out there.
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back