Reccomend me a closed headphone below 200!
Jun 12, 2010 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

fraggerz

100+ Head-Fier
So i've been into IEMs for 6 months or so and i'm now feeling the urge to go into the full-sized heaphones for home use.

So to cut to the chase, i NEED a headphone and what i'm looking for is:

CLOSED-CAN(Important point^^)
good highs and mids
not over-emphasized bass
large soundstage
great clarity
and not over 200 PLEASE:)

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 19
I'll tell you what I told someone else asking for the moon, I'm looking for a hot blonde, with big boobs, who likes to cook and clean. Good luck in your search.

Seriously though, the M50 will always get my vote.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
I'll tell you what I told someone else asking for the moon, I'm looking for a hot blonde, with big boobs, who likes to cook and clean. Good luck in your search.

Seriously though, the M50 will always get my vote.

biggrin.gif
  (on the first part...)

+1 on the second.

But if you are bass sensitive you might also look at the DT770 / 600 ohm. They isolate very well, are extremely detailed and do not over emphasize the bass. B&H has the 600 ohm for $199.95.

shane

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 19
Theres not too much available in your price range. The shure 840 is an option.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 19
i have both the m50 and the srh840. i say they're both great options. the m50 has just a tad bit more bass, the srh840 has more natural highs. the highs on the m50 are just a bit more metallic (it's not really pronounced, i'm kind of splitting hairs here, but it is there). the srh840 edges out a bit more in the long run, a bit more natural and balanced. however the srh840 requires an amp to get its fullest potential. it is heavy, but the pads are much more comfortable than the stock m50 pads.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 19
how does the srh840 compare to the HD 280s? anyone can compare them?
btw. what is a good amp to drive these with? thinking of udac.
is it a good choice or can anyone reccomend me something better with around the same price?

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 19
My Senn HD 280s are "acceptable" but nothing to get excited about, so I can't recommend them (I like them for their ability to not offend the family with leaking sound). They're probably great for what they're created for -- studio monitors. But, I don't monitor music, I try to enjoy it. For that, they're okay (I gotta hope there's better). Like you, I'm looking for more. If my HD 580s or even PX 100s didn't disturb the family, I'd use those instead.

I'm in the market for similar phones to what you describe. Thanks for starting the thread. I look forward to hearing from other folks.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 19
srh840 do well without an amp, but i have to agree that they are at their full potential with one. they don't do anything bad but they dont do anything amazing either. at your price range, good soundstage and all rounders 

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
i have both the m50 and the srh840. i say they're both great options. the m50 has just a tad bit more bass, the srh840 has more natural highs. the highs on the m50 are just a bit more metallic (it's not really pronounced, i'm kind of splitting hairs here, but it is there). the srh840 edges out a bit more in the long run, a bit more natural and balanced. however the srh840 requires an amp to get its fullest potential. it is heavy, but the pads are much more comfortable than the stock m50 pads.

Got to agree with everything here.
M50's are very good. SRH840's are better. Better clarity, detail and neutrality. Equal in isolation to the M50. The bad... unwearable. Heavy and poor headband padding. If you can wear them... they are great cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back