recabling my DT770 (done!)
May 26, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #76 of 135
Ok, here's a question for ya logwed. How come Lawton Audio is claiming that 18ga Jena sounds muddier with their markl modded headphones than 22ga? Both cables use the exact same wire, the exact same insulation, so why the difference in SQ?

Here's the quote from the Lawton Audio site about their recable:
Quote:

Q: Do you offer the 18 guage version of Jena Labs cable?

A: We found that in an application such as a headphone cable, the 22G version was superior all around to the 18G. The fatter cable tended to roll the frequency extremes, and was a bit too warm and slow for our tastes. The 18G also a bit stiffer, heavier and more awkward than many customers might like in a headphone cable.

May 26, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #78 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, here's a question for ya logwed. How come Lawton Audio is claiming that 18ga Jena sounds muddier with their markl modded headphones than 22ga? Both cables use the exact same wire, the exact same insulation, so why the difference in SQ?

Here's the quote from the Lawton Audio site about their recable:

Sounds muddier. That's proof to me!

May 26, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #79 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in that case the first part of my statement makes no sense.. but I still believe this statement "but no science backs up what you hear with the exception of the placebo effect. " is an extremely loaded statement. That's actually what led to my earlier post.

Yeah, I wandered in the first post, my bad.

May 26, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #80 of 135
Guys, obviously this is a very subjective thing. Although there are measurable differences in cabling, much of the sound is all up to personal preferences, as well as the person's ability to hear such differences. Although some changes in wire may be measurable, that does not necessarily convert into audible recognition.

I love how this thread has hit 6 pages in like two days haha

May 26, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #81 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds muddier. That's proof to me!

Lolwut? First you say
Quote:

"There is no difference in the signal based on gauge or conductor."

And then all of a sudden you believe Lawton Audio? He's comparing 18ga vs 22ga. The exact same wire, the exact same insulation. Only a few strands more per wire..

May 26, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #82 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lolwut? First you say

And then all of a sudden you believe Lawton Audio? He's comparing 18ga vs 22ga. The exact same wire, the exact same insulation. Only a few strands more per wire..

Sarcasm doesn't work very well over the Internet.
tongue.gif
What I meant was, "That is an entirely subjective and unscientific statement that you are using to back up your argument."

May 26, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #83 of 135
no... no sarcasm doesnt work well... you should see the dozens of flames I got for being sarcastic on the UM3x appreciation thread... you'd think I took ten pairs of um3x's and went out on a shooting range using them for target practice.... well they're wrong. I'd only shoot 9, I'd use the 10th pair to protect my ears from the noise

May 26, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #84 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no... no sarcasm doesnt work well... you should see the dozens of flames I got for being sarcastic on the UM3x appreciation thread... you'd think I took ten pairs of um3x's and went out on a shooting range using them for target practice.... well they're wrong. I'd only shoot 9, I'd use the 10th pair to protect my ears from the noise

lollerz
icon10.gif

May 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #85 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the single ground wire will be fine. We're not talking about garden hoses, where 2 into 1 = low flow in the 2.

I kinda giggle when I hear that kind of thing. I used to test circuit breakers for a living. Your wire is full when you try to shove 10kA through 1/0 AWG into a 150A circuit breaker.

well I've asked a friend who's really handy w/ electronics(he used to repair TV's and such), he answered me :
on your soundcard PCB, there's a single shared ground...which is usually as thin as 35 microns.

multi-strain is great for high trebles(loss-wise), thicker cables are only useful for high power 4/8Ω speakers over long distances(+25 meters).

there's no auto-inductance effect for headphones(that contain a bobbin anyway).

we mostly shield the headphones cables to avoid catching EMI because the effective voltage is very low when listening at low volume(a few hundred mV) and also because going shielded doesn't have any drawback considering how weak the signal is.

...but he told me that 3 wires would be fine for <50Ω, where for 600Ω 4 wires is definitely more advisable
smily_headphones1.gif

he doesn't believe braiding makes any difference whatsoever, but now I will have to experiment w/ it anyway...thanks for the links Bont!

PS: quad braid is a major PITA, gonna take me 8H to do 10ft
ocube.gif

May 26, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #87 of 135
Nevermind the crazy discussion, we want pics! It's already been 8 pm now! Get our juices flowing with some naughty cable pics plz <3

May 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #90 of 135
^What he said! So, you're a believer too? What did you use? A quad braid or a triple braid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back