recabling my DT770 (done!)
May 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #46 of 135
ah, very nice
biggrin.gif

but the stock cable only has one wire for the ground
confused.gif

and I believe they chose the TRS plug because it came from the telephone world, and had this strange shape to make sure that it doesn't disconnect accidentally ?!

do you have any link about that "multifilament nylon" please?

May 25, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #47 of 135
This is how it looks, and depending on your where you live, I can recommend you the best supplier. But I guess google can help you out just as good
wink.gif

They went with the TRS plug because that's the industry standard for headphones.

May 25, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #48 of 135
well sure, but it comes from the telephone world : TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

This appears to have originated with the use of TRS jacks by switchboard operators with the tip and ring wires attached to the corresponding parts of the jack. Originally, the hot and ground were reversed, but often the metallic desktops of the switch boards were scarred by the discharge from the tips and the system was reversed to the present usage.

and it's got this shape to avoid accidental disconnections....I believe they made the L/R sections much smaller than ground for convenience...nothing more
confused.gif

so that thing is not as heavy as techflex? techflex is also nylon I believe..

May 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #49 of 135
That is new to me! Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's metaphor to help you understand the scenario:

Two dumptrucks are heading to the dumpsite, both driving on a road with two lanes, so they are driving next to eachother. They both deposit their junk at the same time, but here's the kicker. The road from the dumpsite back to where they came from only has one lane, so one has to get behind the other, making the last dumptruck arrive later than the first dumptruck. Things get mixed up because both want to arrive at the same time at their place of departure and accidents start to happen when the last dumptruck is trying to get in front of the other.

Normal techflex is made out of PET, some type of plastic. Multifilament nylon is like.. 100 times softer, more flexible and nicer to look at!

ps. please note that English isn't my first language. I tried to explain it the best I could
tongue.gif

May 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #51 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is new to me! Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's metaphor to help you understand the scenario:

Two dumptrucks are heading to the dumpsite, both driving on a road with two lanes, so they are driving next to eachother. They both deposit their junk at the same time, but here's the kicker. The road from the dumpsite back to where they came from only has one lane, so one has to get behind the other, making the last dumptruck arrive later than the first dumptruck. Things get mixed up because both want to arrive at the same time at their place of departure and accidents start to happen when the last dumptruck is trying to get in front of the other.

Electrons are not dump trucks

Have you taken a look at the connections inside TRS jacks? They certainly don't use all the surface area on the plug to connect to, so I think your point about the ground surface being twice as big as the signal is somewhat lacking also.

May 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #52 of 135
As I said, it's a metaphor, but thanks for not understanding that
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I've taken a look inside a TRS. I've taken it apart and rebuilt it.
Strange though, how the whole surface responsible for ground is conductive.. That wouldn't make any sense, would it?

May 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #53 of 135
and on that smokey link : Chimera Labs Frequently Asked Questions

the guys says that he scraps off the gold plating to solder directly on the body of the TRS
confused.gif

Quote:

I use a Jewelers File and a Small Tool Grinder to remove the Gold Plate on the outer body of the Plug and in the conductor mounting hole in the Plug’s Center Pin. That way I am soldering a "tinned" copper conductor to tinned copper without the gold getting in the way. I also use an alcohol based varnish to seal all the solder joints. Yes, I can hear a difference and the low level detail resolution and instrument voicing is better.

the furutech jack is made of an alloy of copper and nickel I think, but regular plugs are just nickel.

I can't stand hearing about "low level details" anyway, Patrick82 disgusted me of this expression
tongue.gif

May 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #54 of 135
Yeah, well.. what can I say
tongue.gif
Some go pretty far to get the ultimate conductivity.
Though I think its going a bit too far, I'm just a mid-end audio/DIY fanatic. YMMV.

May 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #55 of 135
<whispering w/ a northern europe accent> "it's all about low level details, scraping off dee gold makes the bass clearer and increases the low level detail resolution!"
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #56 of 135
I think it's time we invite Patrick82 into this thread
tongue.gif

May 25, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #60 of 135
Hmm, IMO it just looks ugly! If you are going with silver wire with clear teflon, it might look okay, but otherwise, its a no no design-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back