recabling my DT770 (done!)
May 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #121 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well he tells me that if the cable FR has changed(and good lord it did!), then it means that the wire doesn't have a null impedance...and that it's just plain crap for audio(especially headphones, where they only carry a few mV).

What is the meaning of 'cable FR' ?

May 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #123 of 135
Quote:

well he tells me that if the cable FR has changed(and good lord it did!), then it means that the wire doesn't have a null impedance...and that it's just plain crap for audio(especially headphones, where they only carry a few mV).

thing is that in the past, on my DT770/Pro250, I tried 2 third party cables...one MonsterCable(the sound was more or less identical to stock), and another one from a french company(high definition OFC blablabla)...and the bass was utterly distorted(worse than the cryo-parts!)

my own take is that the stock wire is just as good as some Monster, it will mostly do a 1:1 transport....you can't quite get any whiter than white, now can you?

OTOH, the HD650 seems to benefit greatly from killer wires...so maybe it's just a beyer thing.

anyway, I fully understand why most ppl think that recabling is snake oil.....and when Denon boasts about 7N-OFC wire on their high end cans, it means that they actually took the wire impedance/resistance in account while engineering the drivers
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=small]playing god w/ mismatched cables is a big no-no! on beyer cans at least...[/size]IMVHO YMMV etc
wink.gif

PS: this post is very interesting too : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3160410-post13.html
the purer the copper, the bassier!
eek.gif

interesting conclusion you have drawn there, from your scientific experiment.

May 31, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #125 of 135
Quote:

and that it's just plain crap for audio

Really? Wow! I guess I haven't learned anything in the last 25+ years of designing wire and cable and everyone who has purchased the Twcu and uses it as their *reference* is listening to crap and they can't hear!
biggrin.gif

Hey, if you don't like the wire, that's cool, and I am completely fine with it. Everyone hears differently, values certain aspects of sound reproduction over others, and has different priorities. And, that's part of what makes this fun and keeps me interested and designing new stuff. If someone doesn't like my stuff, cool, there are a lot of other great manufacturers out there, one of them is making what you want.

However, to call the wire "crap" is not cool. Especially based on your limited testing of it with one sound card and one pair of cans.

Lee

May 31, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #126 of 135
I wouldn't mind piping in here and just commenting that the OP's technique here is very hit and miss, and feedback/results vague and unfounded. Nuances between cable making designs and materials are just that, nuances. If you build it one way and don't like it, there could be a lot more to it than saying the wire must therefore be crap. I also question the fact that the feedback has been given almost as soon as the cable(s) were finished - so how long were they auditioned for exactly?

May 31, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #129 of 135
actually, calling it snake oil is not very accurate.

I might try to rub the cable w/ a serum made of snake venom extracts : GARANCIA The Botanical Alchemy of Future: Cosmetic Care composed of natural assets, BIO, High-tech

Patrick82 recommended it to me, that's how serious I am!
eek.gif

of course I'll let you guys know how it does on my face too
beerchug.gif

PS: I didn't call it "crap", I was merely quoting my EE friend's words...I'm sure it'd do wonders on an HD650, or at least pretty sure
smily_headphones1.gif

I realize you need a $5000 amp to make this cable sound good, shame on me I guess
afrojojo.gif

I only let it burn in for a few days, prolly after a month or two it would have given on my poor equipment...only god would know!

May 31, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #131 of 135
I like your EE friend, can you please ask him to explain what exactly the " if the cable FR has changed, then it means that the wire doesn't have a null impedance.." mean? "Null impedance" is a new term to me.

Of course, he probably never really said that, you just understood it wrong or the true meaning was lost in translation, or something like that.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #134 of 135
It means zero impendance. No impendance, nada impendance. It isn't a translation error, I hear Americans and English folk use it all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back