Reasonable entry level Amp
Nov 6, 2007 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mush77

Head-Fier
So I'm looking to buy an amp. Also headphones, but I've got a better idea about those. $200, including shipping, is pretty my max budget, and the amp has to be able to be shipped to Australia.

I was thinking about the Little Tube II/II+/II++/MkIII. From what I gather, all of those aren't in production any more, and the MkIII is just that much too expensive. Are there any other options that will give me a balance between a nice warm sound and a more detailed, fast approach? I think I'll be using it with either K601s or HD580s (I can get advice on the cans later... But I think I'll go with the AKGs).

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 13
Don't know if they'd be classified as entry level, but the Cutes (Beyond and Encore), and the "O1" sold at head-direct.com both look like excellent choices for keenly priced headphone amps.

P.S. They say the Encore works great with the K701 so I reckon it's the same with the K601.

edit: Just found this thread with great info on the O1 amp: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...0&highlight=01

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 13
The LDII++ is still in production (David just sold one a few days ago on ebay according to his ebay profile). It's still the best value by far in entry-level amps, those who says otherwise often are comparing it to amps costing three or four times more or are just prejudiced because of its low price.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any other options that will give me a balance between a nice warm sound and a more detailed, fast approach? I think I'll be using it with either K601s or HD580s (I can get advice on the cans later... But I think I'll go with the AKGs).

I think you're going about this backwards.

First, pick the headphones that give you the general sound signature that you desire........then pick an amp that suits your headphones and source. The amp is definitely in third place when it comes to the overall signature in the end (headphones, then source, then amp.) It can "flavor" the mix, but the amp is certainly not the main factor in the equation.

My experience with K601's, driving them with a Millett, maxed-out PIMETA, or the internal amp in the 0404 USB, was that there was no way to shift their balance away from the excessively bright side on most material. While I did like the wider soundstage versus my HD600's, I sold the K601's and don't regret that at all.

What you want to avoid, if you do truly desire a detailed sound, is a combination of errors/colorations that will ultimately prove to be a disappointing compromise. Combining a bright headphone with a warm tube amp can make the overall signature appear "right" at first, but IMHO, you will at some point realize that you are sacrificing detail for tube warmth.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 13
I think I will probably be buying the K601's, as they fit nicely in my price point. I was, however, thinking of the K701's as well, but I now can't spend that much.

And I was thinking of the LD because of the warmness, which is something that I want, but I wanted to get some other opinions. In any case, there's still a few months to go before I'll have the funds to buy, well, anything, so nothing is set in stone right now (except for the max budget...).

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 13
I use AKG701 with LD MK III, and use Sony D802K as source, it sounds very good, but I also find even w/o amp, the CDP drives AKG 701 very well. I have used ATH W100 with Sony D-33 w/o amp for two years, it gave me great music enjoyment, until the CDP developed some problem.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Obviously there's no right/perfect answer - so many variables in the mix!! But - for what it's worth - my noob/first amp was a Pocketamp2v2 from Gary at Electricavenues. For something around 30/35 GBP shipped I thought it was incredibly good value. (and Gary's service is second to none re keeping informed,answering questions,shipping/packing etc etc) I've since upgraded to a Go-Vibe V7 ( one of Norm's final ones!!) (Though when Jaben gets going I presume they will become available again ) IMHO it's a better amp - but at approx twice the price!! Whatever you choose -good luck and enjoy!!!! The only downside ( as I think I've found) is the pain in your wallet!!!

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm looking to buy an amp. Also headphones, but I've got a better idea about those. $200, including shipping, is pretty my max budget, and the amp has to be able to be shipped to Australia.

I was thinking about the Little Tube II/II+/II++/MkIII. From what I gather, all of those aren't in production any more, and the MkIII is just that much too expensive. Are there any other options that will give me a balance between a nice warm sound and a more detailed, fast approach? I think I'll be using it with either K601s or HD580s (I can get advice on the cans later... But I think I'll go with the AKGs).

I'm guessing portability is not an issue here, correct? There is a new DAC/AMP made by Zero that is getting decent comments here and is selling for $150 on eBay. It is at least worth a look see.
cool.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 13
A Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 can be purchased used from $140 to $190 including S&H. I have not heard other amps in that range that sound as good.

Later when you have money/time you can get a better PSU and do the PinkFloyd mods ($65 - $100 if you buy the materials and do it yourself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back