Realtek HD integrated audio
Nov 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

browncow

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
Just bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and it has a realtek HD chip for audio. Is anyone familiar with the quality of the DAC in that chipset? How much of an improvement would a Fiio or Dragonfly bring to the table? I will be running Westone 4 IEM's and V-Moda 80's with this setup.
Thanks!

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 20
Just about any external DAC, with a low impedance headphone amplifier, should be better then whatever is built in the Yoga 2.
The $75 FiiO E10 USB-DAC-Amp should be better then the on-board audio.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 20
I have a similar Realtek DAC chip in my computer. It's not hard for an external DAC to beat. It works fine as a starter, but something simple like the Schiit Modi or O2/ODAC will best it easily.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 20
thanks i'll have to play around with my Dragonfly. Not seeing the sound improve all that noticeable

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 20
Dec 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 20
Looks like it has the ALC283 codec.

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 20
Honestly it really doesn't matter what specific realtek model is in there - It's crap if you use it for anything other then digital out. My advice is to shut it off at the hardware level in the BIOS if you can and just get a USB sound card / DAC.

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 20
Old preconceptions die hard but the truth is on board audio line outs are generally now very good indeed.

Converter technology is so advanced and the turnover and competition in the motherboard market so fierce it's rare to find a poor line out.

Depending on the impedance and quality of your headphones you might want an amp. FiiO E5 is good and cheap.

Until you have spend over $300 on your 'phones or speakers getting a separate DAC doesn't make financial sense unless you need one or more of the features on offer.

That said. At some point you are going to want to own an audio interface of some kind. I

t's so much more convenient and expands the options available. Try and save up until you can afford something that also offers decent inputs and more than one stereo pair out. Look at the bundled software. You can often get excellent EQ and effects packages as part of the deal.

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 20
Onboard audio is generally very low quality; you would likely hear a large difference between integrated audio and even a cheap solution like the Fiio E10. If you don't need an amp, I found the Hifimediy Sabre dac to be a night and day improvement from integrated for cheap.

Dec 2, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #10 of 20
  Onboard audio is generally very low quality; you would likely hear a large difference between integrated audio and even a cheap solution like the Fiio E10. If you don't need an amp, I found the Hifimediy Sabre dac to be a night and day improvement from integrated for cheap.

honestly when listening to music, i can't really tell the difference between onboard (ALC 888S) and my fiio E17 other than being louder. Maybe i would if i was to do more critical listening. My speakers are audioengine A2 so it should be decent enough to hear the difference. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 20
I've yet to experiance any motherboard with integrated audio that doesn't have EMI/Noise releated issues. Be it when I move my USB mouse around and I hear static, or just generally hearing static at louder volumes to begin with.

Yes, I agree that on paper Realtek is great. The problem is that the motherboard manufacturers do not implement it properly. There simply isn't any shielding.

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 20
I've yet to experiance any motherboard with integrated audio that doesn't have EMI/Noise releated issues. Be it when I move my USB mouse around and I hear static.

I never had that in my pc but my school's computer did. Very annoying. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 20
It's been a while since it has been a common problem though. At least in my experience.

The last 3 motherboards I've had, 2 full size desktop and 1 laptop all ASUS, have been surprisingly good. I usually use an interface on all of them because it's more convenient but I wouldn't have any problems with the on board if I have to fall back to it for some reason.

CustomPC did a review of the Gigabyte G1.Sniper A88X board in the Jan 2014 issue. This is marketed as a audiophile quality board. (upgradable OP amps, gold plated stuff, electronic isolation, etc etc). Turns out it didn't measure any better than the standard ASUS P8Z77 they compared it too. I wonder if the apparent improvement in mobo audio is down to how much less power modern processors and video cards consume? 

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #14 of 20
  It's been a while since it has been a common problem though. At least in my experience.

The last 3 motherboards I've had, 2 full size desktop and 1 laptop all ASUS, have been surprisingly good. I usually use an interface on all of them because it's more convenient but I wouldn't have any problems with the on board if I have to fall back to it for some reason.

CustomPC did a review of the Gigabyte G1.Sniper A88X board in the Jan 2014 issue. This is marketed as a audiophile quality board. (upgradable OP amps, gold plated stuff, electronic isolation, etc etc). Turns out it didn't measure any better than the standard ASUS P8Z77 they compared it too. I wonder if the apparent improvement in mobo audio is down to how much less power modern processors and video cards consume? 

Looking at that board, while it apparently looks better then what we typically see - That shielding is still poor. Like most things motherboard manufacturers market.. It's just that. Marketing. Like how they advertise 'Mil-Spec' motherboards now as well. True 'Mil Spec' components can withstand boiling hot heat, extreme humidity, sand/dirt, etc..

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 20
is there any sonic advantage to disable in the bios? the reason I ask is because there are times when I just want to watch a video without having to plugging in the DAC and headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back