Ready to pull the trigger on Koss DJ100 but...
Dec 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

roma101

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm still a little hesitant. My wallet has taken a solid beating from lurching on head-fi way too much. But at least my ears are happy :)

Anyway, they're going for $50 on bestbuy and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger... right now at this moment. However, I just want to be sure how good these headphones really are and how they compare to the likes of srh-750dj, denon d2000, etc. 

What else? I listen to basically everything - a lot of Depeche Mode, INXS, rock, pop, some classical, hip hop, you name it I listen to it. So I basically need good all-arounders. I've been looking for great-sounding (love a lot of soundstage and imaging), great-isolating/portable (commute every day via nyc subways), light-weight headphones for a long while. I was considering Panasonic HTX7's or possibly Audio-Technica SQ5's. I want to know if the Koss DJ100's blow them out of the water.

Many thanks in advance!

Here are my current headphones:
ATH-SJ5
KSC75
HD201
HD-25 I-II
UE-Superfi 4

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 52
I'd say $50 is a good deal but anything more than that is a no no. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 52
Any particular reasons why? I've heard its sound is very detailed, it has good depth and soundstage, and has often been compared to the M50's around here. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 52

Quote:
Any particular reasons why? I've heard its sound is very detailed, it has good depth and soundstage, and has often been compared to the M50's around here. Thanks.

I would say the DJ100 is king of the $50 bracket no doubt.  Pad rolling is warranted if you want more of them and they respond well to sources.  The M50 is still king of the $100 and under bracket IMO.  Modding can get the the DJ100 close but they are two different beasts.  I like both more than the HD555, or 840.   You will not get good isolation from a stock DJ100 fyi.  

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 52
I'd suggest just buying them and then returning them if you don't like them. I still do think they're my favorite headphone under $150. I still don't suggest them without an amp, but many here might.
It really just depends on if they match your preferred sound signature. I feel they're even good at the $80 normal price. In fact when my first pair died (due to my own fault) I immediately bought another pair!

I prefer them over the SRH-840, M50, k240 Studio, HFI-680, HD-555, ESW9a and a lot of other headphones. SRH-840 was my previous favorite, but I still prefer the DJ100 after comparing them. SRH-840 does though do a few things better. Ok, not really. Maybe it's slightly more detailed to some and has less rolled off highs? The soundstage of the 840 sure isn't as good as I remembered. I never realized how boring that headphone can be until I heard my KRK and DJ100. Still sounds good of course.

Strangely I think I'd now pick the D2000 over the SRH-840. Desktop amped only of course. Never thought i'd be saying that. I don't think I'd ever use a D2000 as my only headphone though.

As long as you don't expect too much it should definitely be worth the $50. Not everyone is going to like it though. For me it seems to get most everything right.

EDIT: Think $50 is the perfect price point, but of course $80 is more than fair. If suddenly they stopped making them and mine broke I'd pay $150 for another pair. Call me crazy if you want!
For $80 though they should have better pads with more depth.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 52

Quote:
I'd say $50 is a good deal but anything more than that is a no no. 

I can't help but ask, but why do you say this? I'm only curious. Is it that you feel that the highs are too rolled off?
I'm still surprised when you compared them to the HD-650's treble. I don't really think it's THAT rolled off.
Somehow the treble is even less fatiguing for me with the DT-880 250 I just got in, which makes no sense. Not even remotely fatiguing, but the k601 is. Strange huh?
I honestly also didn't find the SRH-840 any more detailed, but just my opinion, that's all. Still don't find them bass heavy either, but that's a plus for me.

Is there a headphone under $100 to you that is better sounding overall (other than the m50)? I'm always looking for others to try.
Have you heard the Beyer Dynamic DT-235? That sounds like something you might like. I use mine with the DHP-II pads to make them circumaural.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 52
I'm not having any issues w/ the treble on mine.  For $80 yes they should have better pads, that is their biggest design and SQ fault.  Bear in mind my view on pricing reflects that I basically buy nothing at retail in the way of durable goods.  Tdock, notice I now have 2 Koss phones in my sig.  How'd that happen?  
blink.gif
  Not a Senn, Grado or Beyer in sight.  Odd.  I still have my HD555 because I plan on butchering it when I get the chance.  I also have some Grado 225 drivers I need to transplant. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 52

I think Best Buy got the DJ100 as an exclusive for awhile perhaps. I'm guess you're right that if they were online (not with retail pricing) they'd be $50 everywhere. $80 sounds like the correct retail price. I hate buying headphones at retail. At Best Buy they want $99 for the Shure SRH-440. I'll pass on that!

I bet many people see the DJ100 for $50 and skip it thinking there's no way any $50 headphone could sound good and that's usually true. Based on my experience, 90% of the headphones I've tried under $75 are junk. I'm always looking for the DJ100 killer, like with you and the M50
normal_smile%20.gif

I listened to my new DT-880 250 ohm last night until 4am. Been listening to it for the last 3 hours. The mids sure make me miss those of the DJ100 and k601. I love how the DT-880 doesn't do anything to annoy my ears like the k601 can sometimes. D2000 was like that. D2000 is one that I could probably listen to for 12 hours straight and have it not tire my ears out. Still kicking myself for selling it, but I had to. I'm so close to buying another one since my k601 has been bothering me lately with it's treble. Maybe a combination of that and it's forward mids. It's funny to say it, but I think I like the mids on the D2000 more than those the DT-880 250 ohm, but the DT-880 has sooo much detail. Soundstage disappoints me though. Pearl Jam sounds pretty terrible on them and it's the only band where the vocals sounded a bit distant. A lot of their songs sound that way to begin with.

k601 sure feels less neutral more and more everyday. Vocals are still amazing on them though. Wish I still had a k701 to try out and compare them with.

Oops darn headphone addiction.

EDIT: BTW I still have my modded SR-80 and love how it sounds, but the soundstage, imaging and bass is pretty terrible. I'd love to transfer the driver to another shell and see how that works. Might ruin the sound. I never did get a good fit on them until I bent them so much that I almost broke the headband. The flat pads sure don't help the sound much. Somehow I lost my original pads that were the hard foam. I was so stupid to throw out my old DJ100 shell since the SR-80 driver fits in it.

Quote:
I'm not having any issues w/ the treble on mine.  For $80 yes they should have better pads, that is their biggest design and SQ fault.  Bear in mind my view on pricing reflects that I basically buy nothing at retail in the way of durable goods.  Tdock, notice I now have 2 Koss phones in my sig.  How'd that happen?  
blink.gif
  Not a Senn, Grado or Beyer in sight.  Odd.  I still have my HD555 because I plan on butchering it when I get the chance.  I also have some Grado 225 drivers I need to transplant. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 52
You tossed out the old DJ100 shells!  I woulda bought em off you.  
frown.gif
  Did you try the Beyer pads on the DJ100 I forget?  They should fit.

You know, being half Austrian I have yet to hear an AKG and have no idea where one would fit into my inventory.  Sad.....

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 52
I just feel that they are not worth more than that price. I don't feel the highs are too rolled off and that did not affect my decision. I feel the treble is just as smooth as the HD650's, perhaps not nearly as rolled off though.

Something for under $150? Hrm... if you can find it I believe the GMP 435S are superior (got my pair for that much) and they have tons of detail and bass.

Quote:
I can't help but ask, but why do you say this? I'm only curious. Is it that you feel that the highs are too rolled off?
I'm still surprised when you compared them to the HD-650's treble. I don't really think it's THAT rolled off.
Somehow the treble is even less fatiguing for me with the DT-880 250 I just got in, which makes no sense. Not even remotely fatiguing, but the k601 is. Strange huh?
I honestly also didn't find the SRH-840 any more detailed, but just my opinion, that's all. Still don't find them bass heavy either, but that's a plus for me.

Is there a headphone under $100 to you that is better sounding overall (other than the m50)? I'm always looking for others to try.
Have you heard the Beyer Dynamic DT-235? That sounds like something you might like. I use mine with the DHP-II pads to make them circumaural.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 52

Quote:
I just feel that they are not worth more than that price. I don't feel the highs are too rolled off and that did not affect my decision. I feel the treble is just as smooth as the HD650's, perhaps not nearly as rolled off though.

Something for under $150? Hrm... if you can find it I believe the GMP 435S are superior (got my pair for that much) and they have tons of detail and bass.

Dood!  Those are $320 on amazon!!  Lol.

http://www.amazon.com/German-Maestro-GMP-435-Performance/dp/B002LVUKEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1293161898&sr=8-1

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 52
Yeah it was on accident. The blown driver was attached to the plastic piece that gets screwed in. I had kept the headband and everything else, but threw them out a few weeks ago.

I just tried the Beyer pads on the DJ100, but they're too large. Just barely too large. Even larger than the k240 pads. I think they would have killed the sound for some reason, but maybe not.

The k701 was the first headphone I ever had and I always liked it, but it got boring after owning them for years. I got the DT-990 and ended up selling that and keeping the k701 when I needed money.
Later on the k701 lost against the HD-600, but I regret getting rid of the k701..so stupid. I bet they would have sounded so much better now that I have a desktop amp. I'm really considering getting the k702 again once I can find them for under $250 NEW.

Not sure if the DT-880 250 is a keeper, but I  like it's sound signature, but it doesn't make my music sound all that engaging and fun to listen to, but I like that. I can see why they may bore some people to death. Not boring like say a Sennheiser's laid back sound signature, just different. Should be good for gaming. They seem to have a ton of detail. First Beyer I've had where the treble didn't bother me at all.

If the treble on the k601 bothers me sometimes I doubt the k701 will be any better, but maybe. k701 should be more neutral than the k601, so maybe i'll prefer my old favorite.Maybe I'll get the $400 green Q702!! Kidding.

Somehow I'd imagine you'd hate the k601 or k701. Maybe not. I'm ok with the bass on each of them, but 90% of the people out there seem to think they're bass light. Pretty close. Even my DT-880 250 ohm seems to have more bass than the k601!

EDIT: I might see if the Grado SR-80 driver will fit in the Koss UR-55 shell. It should and I even have a spare! The have the same basic design and the UR-55 without the grill would allow the SR-80 driver to get air.
Quote:
You tossed out the old DJ100 shells!  I woulda bought em off you.  
frown.gif
  Did you try the Beyer pads on the DJ100 I forget?  They should fit.

You know, being half Austrian I have yet to hear an AKG and have no idea where one would fit into my inventory.  Sad.....

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 52
Like I said if you can find the GMP435S for $150 like I did, then they can beat anything else..

I personally don't like the ATH-M50. They have great detail but the sound is not to my liking.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 52

Quote:
Like I said if you can find the GMP435S for $150 like I did, then they can beat anything else..

I personally don't like the ATH-M50. They have great detail but the sound is not to my liking.

You recall if they were white box or black box M50's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back